Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2009, 12:46 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Haha, I have traveled all over. I've experienced the nightlife in about 20 different major cities in the country, as well as in Athens, Mykonos, Hamilton (probably don't know where that is), Rincon (that one too). I'll take hanging out at the Foundation Room in Atlantic City with high-profile people over a dingy bar in Austin any day.
To where? Long Island, Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Cortland?

Don't be mad and bitter because NY did not win because that is what everyone thinks here

Much more to Austin nightlife than "dingy" bars.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-10-2009 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 12:57 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Like several others have mentioned, some people just can't handle when their city is not #1 on everything (NYC)

Looking good for Houston here
LOL! NYC over Houston any day. That is unless you enjoy a city with not much of an urban center, miles and miles of generic cookie-cutter subdivisions and freeways. I almost forgot the hurricanes and oppressive heat and humidity. Go Houston!

Austin's cool, but outside of that, I'd take NYC, (or even my hometown of KC) over TX any day.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:58 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
LOL! NYC over Houston any day. That is unless you enjoy a city with not much of an urban center, miles and miles of generic cookie-cutter subdivisions and freeways. I almost forgot the hurricanes and oppressive heat and humidity. Go Houston!

Austin's cool, but outside of that, I'd take NYC, (or even my hometown of KC) over TX any day.

If you ask anyone outside CD, most will agree with us

Old 10-10-2009, 12:59 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's funny...people I have met from NYC usually love traveling to and experiencing other places that aren't anything at all like NYC. I have never met anyone so critical of everywhere outside of her own little world. It's very unusual.
I've had the same experienced with New Yorkers. I spent my first two years of college in small private school out in west Texas called Abilene Christian Univ. I had a few really good friends who had grown up in Manhattan and they actually really liked Abilene. I personally hated the town, but they like Abilene because completely different from the fast paced life of New York. They never lived in a place that was as wide open and had a very small population before.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's funny...people I have met from NYC usually love traveling to and experiencing other places that aren't anything at all like NYC. I have never met anyone so critical of everywhere outside of her own little world. It's very unusual.
Well said! Seriously, I don't care much for Austin but it easily is one of the best party towns in the country.

YouTube - Halloween on 6th St - Austin, Texas 2008

YouTube - A Ride Down 6th Street in Austin, Texas - SXSW 2009

YouTube - OFFICIAL TEXAS RELAYS --SLAB VIDEO--

Old 10-10-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Take a look at my profile and all the places around the world I've been. When it comes down to it, nothing beats a night out at home in my familiar NYC. That's how I feel about it. Thanks for a post I can report, too.
Yes, which makes it even more surprising that your so completely ignorant of Austin's music, film, and art scene. I'm sure most of those European's you've partied with could tell something about Austin's fame. Even the European hipsters usually consider Austin to have one of the best music scene's in the world.

And there are several celebrities that have come from Austin's film scene, and even still live in Austin. The city has gained the reputation in Hollywood of being a great town for film, and it's becoming not all that uncommon to see high profile celebrities in Austin.

I'm not trying to say that Austin's night life is better than NYC's. Those are two completely different towns so I really don't think you can compare the two. I'm just saying that it's not the hick town you're trying to make it out to be.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muman View Post
It's also weird to me how Texans usually like traveling to other places different from...well maybe not. Many Texans I've met hate, or at least talk down about anything outside of Texas, especially NYC. Sad but true.

I think your statement was actually pretty positive about NYers, for the most part being open to new experiences, different people and such. Texans, not so much, especially if it's north of the Mason-Dixon Line.
I've always liked New York and New Yorkers. Some Texan's are just like that unfortunately. Of course I've also noticed that attitude diminishes as the state grows and becomes more diverse.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:35 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Like several others have mentioned, some people just can't handle when their city is not #1 on everything (NYC)

Looking good for Houston here
As soon as someone's favorite city is last on some list, they start complaining about how stupid it all is.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:38 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
As soon as someone's favorite city is last on some list, they start complaining about how stupid it all is.

Yes they do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City