Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:16 PM

389 posts, read 1,096,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
A good way to settle this is where does the Trenton TV market fall under? Do they get Philadelphia or NYC stations or do they have their own TV stations?

I know that Dallas and Fort Worth fall under the same television market and have the same local news. I know it seems kind of silly to determine whether or not a city is in the same metro based on who they get their local news from, but if anyone would know, it would be the people in marketing, TV, and broadcasting.
They get both Philly and NYC TV stations, although I think they have a couple of their own stations. They also have a couple of their own radio stations, but I think Philly radio stations come in clearer than NYC ones. I will say though that it's more likely for Philly news to report on the goings on of Trenton than for NYC to. Trenton is/was a part of the Delaware Valley and that's what Philly news covers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 08:17 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
This one is a hard one for me. Philly's location along the East Coast is a big plus and it offers that gritty, urban experience without a really high price tag. On the other hand, Dallas is a really progressive city that's in the midst of some big things and is definitely the more business-friendly city of the two.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,189,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
The Dallas area is basically50 years old, its all relatively new growth. We wont be around to see it but my guess is that 100 150 years from now the Dallas story will not be pretty.
And this is based on your intimate knowledge of Dallas? Dude, things are done a lot different in Texas than they are up north. Although it may seem like Dallas' growth is chaotic, unplanned, and lacks infrastructure, but it's quite the opposite. It's just a lot different than how things are done in Philly. I think most of this is wishful thinking rather than based on your knowledge city development.

In addition, what's happening in LA has more to do with California than sprawl development. Dallas is a completely different city.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:32 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,531,081 times
Media Market Rankings....DALLAS>>#6 and PHILLY>>#4..... Digital Syndicate Network - Top 100 U.S. Television Markets Radio Market..... DALLAS#5 and PHILLY #4....... http://www.newsgeneration.com/radio_...es/markets.htm Again very close and subject to interpretation.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
So you want your cake and eat it too?

Do you want the 800,000 people living on the fringe or not? If you do want them then suck it up and take the criticism that comes along with an 11,000 sq mile metro. If you dont want the 800,000 dont use them in your braggadocious claims about how heavily populated Dallas is.
You are one to talk.

You started griping about the square milage (not to mention, you exaggerated). So I try and argue with about the square milage. Then you switch gears and argue about counties size? Dude make up your mind.

I dont have to brag about how heavily populated DFW is. DFW is already bigger that Philly. Even if we just take those 4 counties vs. the entire Philly metro, in 5-7 years it will be much bigger so this is moot.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:05 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I read another thread where a poster(unnamed) was acting in a condescending manner and the thread was ruined.
Yes, it was you.

Who began the SF vs Philly thread in a condescending and arrogant nature as if you were issuing some sort of juvenile dare or challenge.

Then feigned indignation when you received a statistical beatdown to rival any I've ever seen on C-D. It was brutal I must admit, but it was definitely deserved.

Quote:
After all you implied I was either lying or making up data, even though I had my links posted.
I never said you lied nor implied it-its your source on Metro GDPs that is bogus you cannot refute that.

Quote:
Need more rope...go for it!
Yes, to save you from drowning.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Let's face it...no matter what numbers we all come up with; both cities are really vital to our economy and identity...but both are overshadowed by a few larger cities.

Both cities are under valued in my opinion; however Philly does often get a bum rap and WE ALL are defensive of our turf...only natural. Actually they are extremely close in most aspects and future speculation is just that...somebody's best GUESS.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, it was you.

Who began the SF vs Philly thread in a condescending and arrogant nature as if you were issuing some sort of juvenile dare or challenge.

Then feigned indignation when you received a statistical beatdown to rival any I've ever seen on C-D. It was brutal I must admit, but it was definitely deserved.

I never said you lied nor implied it-its your source on Metro GDPs that is bogus you cannot refute that.

Your posts are so funny....63 friends versus 7 tells me the real story; especially considering the time limitations.... !

Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Should stick with the offical 10 year census data. Period!

Dallas if you think you are being short changed, kindly check back in 2011 or 2012 after the 2010 census data has been extrapilated.

Way way too much renegade information, unsubstanciated lists, and tom-foolery.

CMSA 2000 Census

Philadelphia- 6,188,463
Dallas- 5,106,931

MSA 2000 Census

Philadelphia- 5,221,801
Dallas-3,519,176
Dude are you incapable of having an unbiased arguement whenever Philly is involved? You left the Fort Worth side of the metroplex out of the MSA measurement. Since I would wager a bet that youve never been here, you would have no idea on how they blend into one continuous city. Excluding Tarrant county out of this will make Philly look better, so it might work for you but its easy to see through this.

Yes there is too much "renegade information, unsubstanciated lists, and tom-foolery". Yet alot of it is coming from you.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, it was you.

Here's a present... Your posts speak for "themselves".
YouTube - queen - killer queen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City