Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 01:24 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,419,680 times

Advertisements

Philly for sure. The Main Line suburbs are really nice. There are very few places in DFW with the quality of life of the Main Line suburbs. Highland Park in DFW is a tiny area and more expensive. Plano and Frisco can't touch the Main Line suburbs in walkability, transit, beauty and character. Just generic suburbia subdivisions that you can find in any city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 01:45 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
The density myth spread on here is funny.

So many post silly remarks about DFW's build and using suburban as a dirty word. But the real world seems to have a different view.

DFW has been the top 4 or so metros for growth for about 4 decades now. I know there are going to be know-it-alls on here who are going to say that people only moved their for jobs, but whatever the reason they moved there every single person I have met so moved there loves it.

It's one thing to have an admiration for a more dense built environment, or concern that expansive developments have a more taxing effect on the environment is one thing, but to constantly degrade the newer cities is so tired.

I would think that leading the pack for 40 plus years would make posters realize that the sunbelt development style is the norm , but then I remember that most on here are delusional

Old 11-09-2021, 02:00 PM

7,269 posts, read 10,591,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I get your points, two nitpicks (bolded)...
1. Most neighborhoods surrounding Center City are fine, you have to travel far North and West to encounter awful parts (and no visitor could mistakenly do that). South Philly is rough in parts, but by no means slums. And many neighborhoods are changing at astonishing rates, even from 5 years ago (as you may know).

2. This statement is losing value (literally, for better or worse). The Main Line is still more affordable compared to DC, NYC, Boston counterparts, but not "pennies on the dollar", it's becoming more a wash as the years go on. The blue chip Boston burbs are more likely an outlier on the high-end rather than the Main Line on the low-end.

Yes, all very accurate. Philadelphia has some incredibly impoverished/blighted neighborhoods; no quibbles there. But the post-apocalyptic phrasing of "vast slums" is so over-the-top. You'd think it was Calcutta the way people talk about a major city in the middle of one of the wealthiest major metro areas in the world.

And yes, Geoff is using the upper-upper-stratosphere of real estate costs in other BosWash cities as an analogue. Most Main Line neighborhoods are beginning to go in the $300-400s/ppsf (and over $500/ppsf for new construction). That's not exactly 95% of the American population's idea of "pennies on the dollar."

Old 11-09-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I would think that leading the pack for 40 plus years would make posters realize that the sunbelt development style is the norm , but then I remember that most on here are delusional
I mean obesity is the norm for the past 40 years in this country too, doesn't mean we have to like it and think it should be the norm for the next 40 years also.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:22 PM

4,416 posts, read 5,149,807 times
Dallas is important economically, that’s it. Philly is slightly less important in that measure and blows Dallas out of the water in others; ie history, transit, coastal location, urbanity, culture, food etc..

So Philadelphia wins this.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:29 PM

5,730 posts, read 2,191,694 times
Dallas has passed Philly in relevance fairly easily in my opinion. GDP is about 20% larger, people are migrating to Dallas, not so much Philly. Economic fiscal policies of Texas is greatly superior to PA.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:43 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,803,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I mean obesity is the norm for the past 40 years in this country too, doesn't mean we have to like it and think it should be the norm for the next 40 years also.
No one is telling you to like it.
I wouldn't be so silly to tell someone where to like.
But that is a faulty comparison. I have never met someone afflicted by obesity who liked being obese. Everyone I have met who have been afflicted with DFW, however, liked it. So I don't get the comparison.

Or are you just proving my point that posters on here are out of touch with reality.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
No one is telling you to like it.
I wouldn't be so silly to tell someone where to like.
But that is a faulty comparison. I have never met someone afflicted by obesity who liked being obese. Everyone I have met who have been afflicted with DFW, however, liked it. So I don't get the comparison.

Or are you just proving my point that posters on here are out of touch with reality.
I grew up living in Plano TX and later Montrose in Houston. So I guess now you've found your first person who didn't like living in DFW or Houston. All I'm trying to say is the norm isn't always the best or should be held up as some stunning role model for the whole country to follow. It may just be the path of least resistance. And there are plenty of obese people who enjoy being obese, or we wouldn't have so much obesity in the past 40 years.

North Dallas was an improvement over southern Oklahoma where we were originally from though, but that's not saying much.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:07 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
I chose I don't know.

Also, Philadelphia by a mile.

SEPTA goes to New York City I believe. Close to NY, Baltimore, DC. Philadelphia itself seems like a place I would like to live. I'm not sure if SEPTA is useful (what I like about DC Metro is it can get you throughout and around DC as opposed to in/out of city) but from the times I've visited Philadelphia, is felt pretty urban.

Dallas isn't as urban as a place I'd want to live.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:35 AM

702 posts, read 443,286 times
Quote:
The density myth spread on here is funny.

DFW has been the top 4 or so metros for growth for about 4 decades now. I know there are going to be know-it-alls on here who are going to say that people only moved their for jobs, but whatever the reason they moved there every single person I have met so moved there loves it.
I know plenty of people that love DFW but I've met a lot of people that strongly disliked aspects of it as well. There are also others that wouldn't move there in a million years. It's definitely a popular city right now, primarily because all of the growth but to claim that every single person loves it is somewhat disjointed from reality. It's definitely more popular in real life than on city-data and I know you are just going by your own personal experiences but I'd really challenge the notion that every single person loves it. I do think it has the basics of what most Americans really want in an area.. reasonable cost of living, great amenities, generally good weather, more suburban than urban. Regardless at this point in history it's still a more significant metro area to most of the country than Philly is.

Last edited by MichiganderTexan; 11-11-2021 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City