Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas Versus Philadelphia: Which City Is More Important? Which City Would You Prefer To Live In?
DALLAS 143 33.89%
PHILADELPHIA 239 56.64%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL 11 2.61%
DON'T KNOW 4 0.95%
DON'T CARE 25 5.92%
Voters: 422. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 03:23 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times

Advertisements

Dallas

Philly is a dying city like the rest in the Rust Belt.

It was at its prime during the 1950's & 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 03:36 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
Philly's certainly not dying (and arguably not a part of the rust belt). You'd have a better case 10-20 years ago. Philly's growing again, but a slow growth city. It's not growing like Dallas and probably never will again (unless Dallas' growth dies off). Philly's prime was more the 1890s/early 20th Century. It was a major industrial city in the '50s and '60s, but was infamous for its lack of culture. I'd rather live in Philly now than then.

Anyway, as for which city is more important, I think that depends on how you define the term important. Philadelphia is pretty important for academic and medical research. It's also fairly important for telecommunications, finance and for being a regional distribution center for the East Coast (due primarily to its location). I don't know enough about Dallas, but I'm pretty sure it has a lot of high-tech jobs.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
Philly's certainly not dying (and arguably not a part of the rust belt). You'd have a better case 10-20 years ago. Philly's growing again, but a slow growth city. It's not growing like Dallas and probably never will again (unless Dallas' growth dies off). Philly's prime was more the 1890s/early 20th Century. It was a major industrial city in the '50s and '60s, but was infamous for its lack of culture. I'd rather live in Philly now than then.

Anyway, as for which city is more important, I think that depends on how you define the term important. Philadelphia is pretty important for academic and medical research. It's also fairly important for telecommunications, finance and for being a regional distribution center for the East Coast (due primarily to its location). I don't know enough about Dallas, but I'm pretty sure it has a lot of high-tech jobs.
Maybe stagnant is a better word.

Dallas is leaving Philly in the dust.

It ain't nick named "Silicone Prairie" for nothing.

That could have a double meaning too btw.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:26 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Lol oh you Texan's....

Philadelphia is gaining 10k people a year... that's hardly stagnant. Also, Philadelphia JUST reversed it's trend of population decline... in 10 years Philadelphia will be gaining people more rapidly while Dallas will start slowing down in population growth. I think it's funny how people in the South think cities just grow like that forever... you guys will learn one day.

How is Dallas leaving Philadelphia in the dust when there are still approx 500,000 more people in Philadelphia? Also, Dallas has triple the land area that Philadelphia has. It's easy to have a large population when you have large city boundaries... it's hard to develop a real densely populated city like Philadelphia.... which is why no new Southern "city" has done it.

People from out of this country wouldn't even consider Dallas a city... more like a suburb on steroids. Philadelphia has denser more Urban suburbs than the city of Dallas.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:

It's a reference to the tech jobs I alluded to earlier. Anyway, DFW will definitely pass the Delaware Valley, but that doesn't necessarily make it more important. Either way, Philadelphia was stagnant for a while (after a period of decline), but it's actually growing now. A few other factors makes future growth even more likely. If a high-speed train is ever built, Philadelphia would be the city to most benefit (followed by Baltimore). The middle part of the century is looking good for Philadelphia.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
It's a reference to the tech jobs I alluded to earlier. Anyway, DFW will definitely pass the Delaware Valley, but that doesn't necessarily make it more important. Either way, Philadelphia was stagnant for a while (after a period of decline), but it's actually growing now. A few other factors makes future growth even more likely. If a high-speed train is ever built, Philadelphia would be the city to most benefit (followed by Baltimore). The middle part of the century is looking good for Philadelphia.
Also Dallas only grew by .8% in the 2010 census, which was a 17.5% decrease from the 18% growth rate it had from the 2000 census. Going only be stats one would think that Dallas is the one that is actually declining and slowing down in population growth.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:54 PM

Philadelphia is like the New York that never was & never will be.

D/FW has about 600K more people than Metro Philly.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:10 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Philadelphia is like the New York that never was & never will be.

D/FW has about 600K more people than Metro Philly.
So? Philadelphia also has hundreds of other metros surrounding it... one of those being New York City. Philadelphia is in the most densely populated part of the country so it is chumped for numbers and can't grow outwards. Dallas can sprawl outwards for thousands of miles and only touch a few metros and it has sprawled outwards.

Philadelphia is like the New York that never was and never will be? Except once upon a time Philadelphia was larger than New York City... Philadelphia also has it's own identity. Dallas is like the Houston that never was and never will be... see what I did there? How is that 0.8% growth treating you? I thought Dallas was leaving Philly in the dust?! Dallas had .8% growth and Phlly had .6% growth in 2010... lol. Hardly leaving Philly in the dust. Plus Philly also has 500k more people. Also, Philly is poised to gain 10k a year and did gain 10k in between 2010 and 2011.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:53 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
So? Philadelphia also has hundreds of other metros surrounding it... one of those being New York City. Philadelphia is in the most densely populated part of the country so it is chumped for numbers and can't grow outwards. Dallas can sprawl outwards for thousands of miles and only touch a few metros and it has sprawled outwards.

Philadelphia is like the New York that never was and never will be? Except once upon a time Philadelphia was larger than New York City... Philadelphia also has it's own identity. Dallas is like the Houston that never was and never will be... see what I did there? How is that 0.8% growth treating you? I thought Dallas was leaving Philly in the dust?! Dallas had .8% growth and Phlly had .6% growth in 2010... lol. Hardly leaving Philly in the dust. Plus Philly also has 500k more people. Also, Philly is poised to gain 10k a year and did gain 10k in between 2010 and 2011.
He always likes to stir things up. You gotta take him with a grain of salt.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 PM

What does everyone think of this article that Dallas is built out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City