Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:10 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Cali still has a pretty high crime rate. It's size just skews it.
I was actually half-joking about Cali's crime rate. It is said to be like Japan in other ways. It also depends on which city in California. San Diego and San Jose are among the safest large cities in the U.S., but they are offset by cities like Oakland, Richmond, and Compton. LA and SF are a mixed bag.

According the 2009 state rankings for overall crime, California is #14 and Georgia is #12 for most dangerous. Those 2 states crime rates are very close. However last year, CA was ranked higher in crime than GA, but CA moved down 1 spot and GA moved up 7 .

http://os.cqpress.com/rankings/Crime...kings_2009.pdf

(this ranking is actually from safest to least safe)

Last edited by SEAandATL; 12-09-2009 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
For a poor country, Cuba is doing very well.

The Bahamas, Russia, Louisiana, & Mexico need some help (as a whole).

Nice map, most states surprised me by ranking lower than I thought they would but then again I tend to associate states with certain cities/neighborhoods/etc. from time to time. There are some very high crime cities/areas tucked away in those low ranking states though.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:07 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
For a poor country, Cuba is doing very well.

The Bahamas, Russia, Louisiana, & Mexico need some help (as a whole).

Nice map, most states surprised me by ranking lower than I thought they would but then again I tend to associate states with certain cities/neighborhoods/etc. from time to time. There are some very high crime cities/areas tucked away in those low ranking states though.

dont let the bahamas number scare you, its a small country of only 320,000
so far this year there have been 77 murders most occur in Nassau, pop of 2.6k which has a murder rate of 25, but the violent crime rate is getting worse evry year. this year sadly will be the worst.

this has been everyday news since the start of the year

The Tribune (http://www.tribune242.com/news/12092009_Mondayviolence_news_pg1 - broken link)

Old 12-09-2009, 10:22 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Wow! Gratz to Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Washington, Oregon, Utah and Colorado for having decent sized cities but lower murder rates than most other states. Utah almost makes it into the blue category along with rural North Dakota!

Speaking of North Dakota, the plains states look like a pretty safe place to raise a family. The more populated Upper South states of Virginia, Kentucky and West Virginia, along with the Midwest's Ohio, do not look too bad either.

What I don't get is Maryland and Delaware. Maybe Maryland is hurt to some extent by spillover crime from Washington DC. Yet Maryland as a state is doing better than most economically. Also why is Delaware so high?

Old 12-09-2009, 11:56 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Exactly, you have WHOLE metros down here with multiple cities with high crime rates. You're just as likely to be a victim in some suburb here as you are in the inner-city. It's a Sunbelt thing.

the ABQ metro has a few smaller towns too that give the area its bad rankings, its more of a culture thing/economic thing I think, all of NM has its areas and most of its small towns have above average crime rates.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:01 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
why is Delaware so high?
Philly exporting the drug trade would be my guess.
It's one of the smallest states population wise................ So any eruption in street violence will skew the numbers.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Philly exporting the drug trade would be my guess.
It's one of the smallest states population wise................ So any eruption in street violence will skew the numbers.
Case in point, look at how wildly the murder rate in Wilmington fluctuates from year to year, even though the changes in raw numbers are pretty small (+/-10ish)

Old 12-10-2009, 05:51 PM

2,596 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Wow! Gratz to Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Washington, Oregon, Utah and Colorado for having decent sized cities but lower murder rates than most other states. Utah almost makes it into the blue category along with rural North Dakota!

Speaking of North Dakota, the plains states look like a pretty safe place to raise a family. The more populated Upper South states of Virginia, Kentucky and West Virginia, along with the Midwest's Ohio, do not look too bad either.

What I don't get is Maryland and Delaware. Maybe Maryland is hurt to some extent by spillover crime from Washington DC. Yet Maryland as a state is doing better than most economically. Also why is Delaware so high?
Pg County and Baltimore city are the main contributors for MD....DE is so small thats why the numbers are so high but it dsnt seem all that dangerous at all

Old 12-10-2009, 06:39 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Delaware's numbers are skewed by a few areas of Wilmington which suffer from urban blight and troubled housing projects.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:16 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Delaware's numbers are skewed by a few areas of Wilmington which suffer from urban blight and troubled housing projects.
So if you factor out the high crime areas, the crime rate isn't as high? Ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City