Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:02 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Exempting Alaska, Michigan, New York, and Russia people appear less murderous if they're cold. Almost like the question in "Every Mother's Son" episode of "Homicide: Life on the Street" where one of the mother's asks the other of Canada "Maybe the snow keeps a lid on things, do you think?"

Note: This is largely just an excuse to mention that episode, which was brilliant, but the "cold-climate" places do generally look less murderous in this. Although it's maybe a coincidence and Hawaii does well too.
Even NY is lower than many, if not most states. Actually, the Northeast has the lowest crime rate out of any region.

Also, look at Canada. I think the aspect of history can't be overlooked, as it is a country that didn't have to really deal with a violent revolution in which guns we're essential like the US had to. So, they see no reasons for guns besides hunting, which is why states with relaxed guns laws have them that way in the first place due to the more rural make up of those states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
^^ Changed. I just chose an arbitrary Southern city. I apologize for just throwing out the name of a random city. I responded out of emotion, not reason.

I was just annoyed by the "Liberals are so dumb, when will they learn?!" tone of that previous poster. It was like when Obama was elected and Conservatives were had the attitude of "you don't understand:we're doomed". And then to act as if where he's from somehow has its act together better than New England? HA!

The whole "I have a right to bear arms, BECAUSE I NEED TO PROTECT MYSELF" is such a crock. I have no problem with hunting...you want to go out to the woods and pop a deer or two, help yourself (I'm against hunting bears though). The Second Amendment was written at a time when there was a legitimate threat of British invasion, and Native Americans were still in the woods.

The concept of "if everyone has guns, everyone will be safe" could only work in a world where people are reasonable. But people aren't reasonable at all. Too many people act out of passion, and fall victim to a "heat of the moment" situation.

Example: I went to Clemson University. Three years ago Clemson lost to the University of South Carolina in our annual rivalry game. Two friends were watching the game together. One was a Carolina fan, the other, Clemson. They put $20 down to make it interesting. After Clemson lost, the two got into an argument and the Clemson guy went out and grabbed his gun and killed his best friend. Without a gun, what happens? A broken nose. With a gun? One guy is dead, the other in jail living with the burden of killing his friend over a football game.

Murders are going to happen no matter what. I'm not saying "no guns = no crime". But guns make it that much easier for violent crimes to occur. You think that Clemson guy would have gone into the kitchen and grabbed a knife and stabbed his friend to death? Doubt it. But he wanted his friend to shut up and with a gun all you need to do is pull a trigger.
So again, rather than placing so much stock in random anecdotes that could have happened anywhere, anytime, involved any weapon, etc. - How do you explain Vermont and New Hampshire, two of the least restrictive states for gun laws (especially in Vermont's case), having some of the lowest crime rates in the United States? What about North Dakota? Your argument just doesn't hold water when measured against the facts. I prefer statistics and factual trends over vague tales of gun violence and irrational paranoia.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:54 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
So again, rather than placing so much stock in random anecdotes that could have happened anywhere, anytime, involved any weapon, etc. - How do you explain Vermont and New Hampshire, two of the least restrictive states for gun laws (especially in Vermont's case), having some of the lowest crime rates in the United States? What about North Dakota? Your argument just doesn't hold water when measured against the facts. I prefer statistics and factual trends over vague tales of gun violence and irrational paranoia.
I suppose gun ownership is more of my problem.

VPC - Press Release - (05/06/2009) - States with Higher Gun Ownership and Weak Gun Laws Lead Nation in Gun Death

Let's leave out states like North Dakota, South Dakota, etc...there's like 100 people combined in the two states.

Tell me, why should you be able to walk the streets with a gun?

At least I know what to get you for Christmas...

http://www.viddler.com/explore/failblog/videos/360/

Last edited by tmac9wr; 12-04-2009 at 02:52 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 02:52 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I suppose gun ownership is more of my problem.

VPC - Press Release - (05/06/2009) - States with Higher Gun Ownership and Weak Gun Laws Lead Nation in Gun Death

Let's leave out states like North Dakota, South Dakota, etc...there's like 100 people combined in the two states.

Tell me, why should you be able to walk the streets with a gun?

why? to protect yourself.

this reminds me of a story a couple years ago here in ABQ, an ex-husband went into a Wal-Mart to kill his wife(she worked there), he went behind the deli counter and started stabbing her multiple times, a customer saw what was going on and he pulled out his concealed weapon and killed the guy, he saved an innocent life and took a worthless life because he was able to carry his gun......a win-win situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZT__WQKsM

Old 12-04-2009, 03:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Im not an expert on that state, but I suspect Baltimore's high murder count probably has a lot to do with Maryland's very high rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nope. Prince George's County is high as well in Maryland. It's calm down as of late. But considering it borders Southeast and Northeast DC, criminal activity has crossed the border in a big way inside the beltway in PG county. Annapolis and Frederick has it's problems as well. But nothing compared to PG and Baltimore.
Well, let's run the numbers. Baltimore's population as of 2008 is estimated to be 637,000, the state's populated is estimated at 5,633,600 There were 234 homicides in Baltimore in 2008 and a total of 434 for all of Maryland. Take Baltimore's population and murders out of the equation and Maryland's 2008 murder rate drops from 8.8 to 5.0 per 100K So while Baltimore is a significant contributor, there's something else going on Maryland besides just Baltimore proper.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:10 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
why? to protect yourself.

this reminds me of a story a couple years ago here in ABQ, an ex-husband went into a Wal-Mart to kill his wife(she worked there), he went behind the deli counter and started stabbing her multiple times, a customer saw what was going on and he pulled out his concealed weapon and killed the guy, he saved an innocent life and took a worthless life because he was able to carry his gun......a win-win situation.
If Wal-Mart employees in Albuquerque are getting stabbed on a regular basis, my suggestion would be to move. But my guess is was a very rare and isolated instance. The woman was obviously lucky a skilled gun owner was there at the time, but I still don't believe this justifies citizens walking around armed. We have police.

If another armed citizen in the Wal-Mart at the saw what was happening, he/she could have easily thought the gunman was the aggressor, and shot him. And if there was a third armed citizen...you're on the verge of an all out shot out in a Wal-Mart.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:02 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, let's run the numbers. Baltimore's population as of 2008 is estimated to be 637,000, the state's populated is estimated at 5,633,600 There were 234 homicides in Baltimore in 2008 and a total of 434 for all of Maryland. Take Baltimore's population and murders out of the equation and Maryland's 2008 murder rate drops from 8.8 to 5.0 per 100K So while Baltimore is a significant contributor, there's something else going on Maryland besides just Baltimore proper.

Yes as somebody mentioned...its the suburbs around Washington, D.C specifically prince georges county, MD...and thats just the burbs...I think if D.C's 181 murders were included with MD it would easily be just like Louisiana...the N.O of the mid-atlantic

Last edited by boreatwork; 12-04-2009 at 05:48 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 05:17 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
So, does anyone have other explanations for the higher crime rates in the southern states, in general? It doesn't seem to be attributable to differences in gun laws. Are there more gun owners in the south? Are guns manufactured in the south and therefore more available through both legal and illegal venues? Is there a "gun culture" in southern states (i.e., people feel they need them). I'm just throwing out ideas but would love to hear plausible explanations for the north-south differences.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:31 PM

795 posts, read 2,409,629 times
I think the humidity is getting to folks in the south....j/k

Plenty of states in the middle of the country and elsewhere with very loose gun laws and low murder rates - not a causal link

I would say its poverty/urban blight. Some of the poorest states in the U.S. are in the south.

Why have a gun visible? Its call deterrence....

Old 12-04-2009, 05:41 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
So, does anyone have other explanations for the higher crime rates in the southern states, in general? It doesn't seem to be attributable to differences in gun laws. Are there more gun owners in the south? Are guns manufactured in the south and therefore more available through both legal and illegal venues? Is there a "gun culture" in southern states (i.e., people feel they need them). I'm just throwing out ideas but would love to hear plausible explanations for the north-south differences.

I cant speak for the South but here in NM many people own guns, it might be to hunt, collect, protection or just to shoot around outside for fun. NM is a very much rural state so alot of rural people own guns too. My boss and co-workers all own guns, me and another guy are the only ones without a gun, my dad has one, my brother,a few family members, my girfriends dad and her 4 brothers own guns, her stepdad has a collection of guns and is a big time hunter, there are guns all over the place. I know this dosent speak for everyone here but hunting is popular here and people like to have a gun for protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City