Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 PM

294 posts, read 782,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
It is what it is. A canned entertainment district that caters to the suburban and hotel crowds.

The LIVE block is popular though and can be a lot of fun and that part of the district is all bars, restaurants and clubs, not retail. Other parts of the district are retail and other things.

It was asked if KC had such a place and I simply showed it does and if you are looking for a place like this, KC has one of the better ones in the country.

I personally like the other areas of the city. The more authentic areas like crossroads, westport, plaza etc. That's why I rarely even mention the P&L district and my point is that KC has a diverse offering of entertainment venues and districts that can compete with just about any city outside the very large metros.

And I love KC BBQ, but how would you know Texas or Memphis or Carolina is the best unless you did a comparison taste test? I like theirs too. Guess I'm not a bbq snob though.
Good question. I do not talk about things I have not experienced. I have tasted both Memphis, KC and Carolina's BBQ and the BBQ I have eaten in the Dallas area (especially the one in Mckinney, "Hutchins" I think it's called), IMO, is the best by far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 12:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,821,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladt View Post
Good question. I do not talk about things I have not experienced. I have tasted both Memphis, KC and Carolina's BBQ and the BBQ I have eaten in the Dallas area (especially the one in Mckinney, "Hutchins" I think it's called), IMO, is the best by far.
There are two very distinct styles of North Carolina BBQ...three if you include South Carolina. So there is no "Carolinas BBQ". I wonder which kind you experienced?

Old 12-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There are two very distinct styles of North Carolina BBQ...three if you include South Carolina. So there is no "Carolinas BBQ". I wonder which kind you experienced?
I have eaten BBQ in boh NC and SC after living in NC for 4 out the past 5 years. Not bad it's just that I liked Texas' better.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:38 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,540,212 times
I'm really tired of BBQ snobs who insist that their preferred style is the only good one. I grew up eating central Texas BBQ in Luling and Lockhart and there is no question, my death row last meal is brisket from City Market in Luling (NOT Luling City Market in Houston) and sausage from Patek's Grocery in Shiner. But KC has so many good BBQ choices, my favorites being Jack Stack and Oklahoma Joe's...and if I were sentenced to live in a place where the best BBQ was Gates or Arthur Bryant's, I'd serve my sentence happily.

I feel similarly about Memphis and Carolina BBQ, which I've had and deeply enjoyed. You can prefer one or the other and not be obnoxious about it.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 PM

155 posts, read 733,885 times
I visited and was surprised by how much I liked it. I'm not sure I could live there, but to visit was pleasant. However, KC has the worst airport I've ever been to.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:26 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,595,765 times
I think that the OP is right on target KCMO is in (Fly Over) "Territory" or
"country" or the "dark hole" in the middle of America (but never the less)
it's a great American city , and not too many people are going to know
about it (because it's) not a destination or vacation mecca type of city ,
"and" the economy is not red hot and on fire, So only people like me
know about Kansas City...I came from Tulsa Oklahoma amd 99% of my
family still lives in Tulsa , my wifes father side of the family lives in
Milwaukee so on road trips to see the family I know that region of the
country. If I was going to rank KCMO It would be ranked with these cities.
Kansas City
St. Louis
Pittsburgh
Cincinnatti
Milwaukee
Charlotte
San Antonio
New Orleans
San Jose
Sacramento
Portland
Tampa/St. Peterburg

Below These Cities And All Other Metro's Above 3 Million Population
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Seattle
Denver
Atlanta
Miami
Dallas
Houston
Phoenix

Above These Cities
Tulsa
Oklahoma City
Omaha
Raliegh
Buffalo
Memphis
Richmond
Las Vegas
Norfork
Tucson
Alburquerque
Birmingham
El Paso
Nashville
Salt Lake City
Louisville

Old 12-24-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I have eaten BBQ in boh NC and SC after living in NC for 4 out the past 5 years. Not bad it's just that I liked Texas' better.
Back to my original question...which type of NC BBQ did you experience? You spoke as if there is only one type. The Eastern NC BBQ is not to my liking at all, but the Lexington-style BBQ of the Piedmont area is delicious. The two are very different...and then there is SC BBQ...

Old 12-24-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I'm really tired of BBQ snobs who insist that their preferred style is the only good one. I grew up eating central Texas BBQ in Luling and Lockhart and there is no question, my death row last meal is brisket from City Market in Luling (NOT Luling City Market in Houston) and sausage from Patek's Grocery in Shiner. But KC has so many good BBQ choices, my favorites being Jack Stack and Oklahoma Joe's...and if I were sentenced to live in a place where the best BBQ was Gates or Arthur Bryant's, I'd serve my sentence happily.

I feel similarly about Memphis and Carolina BBQ, which I've had and deeply enjoyed. You can prefer one or the other and not be obnoxious about it.
Again...there is NO "Carolina BBQ" as there are three distinct styles - 2 in NC and 1 in SC.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Back to my original question...which type of NC BBQ did you experience? You spoke as if there is only one type. The Eastern NC BBQ is not to my liking at all, but the Lexington-style BBQ of the Piedmont area is delicious. The two are very different...and then there is SC BBQ...
Eaten at several places in the Charlotte area and a few places in SC. In Columbia and Charleston areas. Don't know exactly what "type" they were, didn't ask. Was too hungry to ask.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Eaten at several places in the Charlotte area and a few places in SC. In Columbia and Charleston areas. Don't know exactly what "type" they were, didn't ask. Was too hungry to ask.
Okay...then you probably can't compare "Carolina BBQ" to any other unless you know which one you've had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City