Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has the better nightlife?
LA 101 60.12%
Chicago 67 39.88%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:04 PM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Exactly bro partying with the stars in L.A big weed smoking big liquor drinking nice r&b music jamming and 2.am is not the last call you just gotta know the spots to hit mite be a pool party next or a mansion party in beverly hills cali rocks big time
Is that your wet dream, bro?
Even LA doesnot have enough stars for everybody to party with

I've been around some TV faces in NYC but most of the time the famous stick to the famous and don't socialize with random people.

Last edited by rebel12; 07-14-2012 at 01:21 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I don't get the dive bar obsession, they usually have crap beer on tap or dollar pbr/keystone/old style, dark dingy, rude bartenders, often no windows, no kitchen maybe some cheap nasty peanuts or trays of snacks, maybe a few drifters hanging out with a knife, smells like urine, some pool tables nobody keeps up with crappy sticks, maybe a smelly homeless person it takes 3 hours for them to finally leave until they cause a scene, the other half of the clientele are true alcoholic/wino types. Why is that cool? I mean I have been to these type places with people and just felt a little bit, hmmm out of place, guess I'm not hardcore enough. Give me a nice bar serving microbrews, some type of gastropub, etc in Portland OR Chicago any day.
I don't get the obsession with bars period. Bars are a dime a dozen in every American city. Bigger smaller they all serve one purpose to get drunk. How many times can you do the same thing over and over.
I take clubs over bars at any time: dance clubs, blues clubs, jazz clubs, latin clubs, comedy clubs. Something to look at and enjoy. Surely not always that entertaining but beats the 567,446,788 conversation about your favorite team losing/winning.... Chicago has some really good blues clubs which I really liked and LA has plenty of happening places.
Now if someone tells me we have 5000 bars I say good for you, I don't want to see any of them. Bars are sterile and like most people I don't go to bars to eat.

Having said all of that most of my nights out end in some quiet bar.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Yeah, Chicago's nightlife is structurally dense, walkable and has good public transit. And have you seen that skyline?! And those narrow streets with the Polish hot dog stands on every corner?!

Let's party.
There is no such thing as Polish hotdog its called kielbasy or kielbasa. Sine when Chicago has street food vendors???

Old 07-14-2012, 01:53 PM

313 posts, read 354,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
I don't get the obsession with bars period. Bars are a dime a dozen in every American city. Bigger smaller they all serve one purpose to get drunk. How many times can you do the same thing over and over.
I take clubs over bars at any time: dance clubs, blues clubs, jazz clubs, latin clubs, comedy clubs. Something to look at and enjoy. Surely not always that entertaining but beats the 567,446,788 conversation about your favorite team losing/winning.... Chicago has some really good blues clubs which I really liked and LA has plenty of happening places.
Now if someone tells me we have 5000 bars I say good for you, I don't want to see any of them. Bars are sterile and like most people I don't go to bars to eat.

Bars are not a dime a dozen. At least the ones I go to.

Its a pain in the ass to find a good bar/pub that has good beer, good food, good music, and a good atmosphere. There are bars that have libraries, bocce courts, lounges, etc. Places to chill.

Unless you dont mind drinking Coors Light and listening to AC/DC all night, then yeah, those bars are a dime a dozen.

Ever think that, maybe, possibly, not everyone dances?

Bars help create a sense of community, regulars. Whether youre watching a game, playing pool, drinking good beer, good conversation, good music, etc.

There are many people that frequent bars for the beer. Hundreds of different kinds. Its not all about getting drunk either. Its about enjoying the beer.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:58 PM

Paying absurd covers, popping my collar, sporting a blowout and listening to terrible top 40 remixes just isnt my thing. Clubs are filled with some of the dumbest broads ive ever met too.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:17 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,522,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Yeah, Chicago's nightlife is structurally dense, walkable and has good public transit.
the best part about this post is...you're trying to make fun of Chicago but ironically recognizing one of it's huge advantages to nightlife. It's dense, walkable and I don't have to worry about getting transportation home at 3 or 4 when the night is over.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:18 PM

Dont have to worry about many DWIs like NYC.

The people of LA and Chicago are also very different too, which is a big factor, IMO.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post

There's nothing wrong with preferring clubs over bars (I do like to go to jazz clubs or live music venues as well), but again with bars it's more about the people and conversations than the actual setting. I just feel at home on a bar stool, like I can relax and open up. Yeah, of course you'll have some conversations about sports but there are a million other things to talk about. Last night I was sitting next to a former bike messenger, and we had a great conversation about urban biking and riding fixed gear vs. freewheel.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:40 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,022,098 times
Chicago>>>LA

You cant have a good nightlife with a 2am last call. Chicago wins but LA might win during the winter when it's cold in Chicago

Old 07-14-2012, 03:52 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,120 times
Chicago's nightlife is far from lackluster, having bars and clubs that close at 5am and the most exclusive restaurant in the nation (Alinea), but It's LA people, LA. Nightlife is part of its reputation. The only hard thing is the lack of public transportation so you have to plan the whole designated driver thing, which is a buzzkill for at least one person, so better safe than dead. Obviously its density and public transportation puts NYC in first, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City