Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
yup there 800,000 more black in Metro Atlanta and about 1.2 Million more Hispanics/Latinos in DFW. but don't forget there about a 1 million more people in DFW than ATL. I notice a straw man I said Latinos have as much of a influence on Atlanta as blacks do on DFW and notting about what Metro is more significant to who. I never compare the Atlanta's latino population to DFW's. Furthermore I said it's medium, Georgia is 9th in latino population and over half of georgia live in metro Atlanta.

ATL has a population of 5.3 mil and DFW has a population of 6.3 mil so a smaller Latino population at 500,000 on 5.3 mil, would have about the same amount of influence as 900,000 blacks on 6.3 mil because a smaller fish will have a larger influence on a smaller pond. So they have about the same amount influence on there metro. DFW is a larger pond all together so the Black population in DFW would have to be a larger fish to even be equivalent to the smaller latino fish in the smaller Metro Atlanta pond. The percentage gap between DFW's blacks and ATL's latino is only 4%. Another example is even with DFW having 300,000 more whites than ATL, DFW 52% and ATL 53% of whites have about the same amount of influence on there Metros, because DFW is 6.3 mil and ATL 5.3 mil so there would have to be a larger white population in DFW to even be equivalent of influence on DFW.

It's funny because you posted the links

Atlanta:
White: 53.2% 2,856,837
Black: 31.2% 1,675,383
Latino: 9.6% 517,512
Asian: 4.2% 224,126

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008

DFW:

White: 52.0% 3,275,385
Black: 13.8% 876,387
Hispanic: 27.5% 1,732,974
Asian: 4.8% 300,371

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2008
similar percentage populations does not equal similar influence. i don't know why it's so hard for you to comprehend that

i know atlanta, and I AM TELLING YOU that latinos do not have the same influence over there that blacks have in dfw. for one, atlanta's hispanic population is still very new and i'm sure a good percentage of them are illegals, but blacks in dallas have been there since the beginning. there is nothing in metro atlanta for latinos comparable to south dallas county. and stop acting like 300,000 is a small number because it isn't. that's bigger than most cities

in dfw you have entire suburbs dominated by middle class blacks, you have black executives and professionals all over, and you have black mayors in dfw. you will not find similar things for latinos in atlanta. shoot, i heard it's hard to even find a decent mexican restaurant in the city

dallas today is still considered one of the top cities for african americans in the nation, and is a key target of the new migration. on the other hand, i've never even heard the words "latino" and "atlanta" mentioned in the same sentence before this thread. so don't sit there and try to tell us it's the same influence

Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
shoot, i heard it's hard to even find a decent mexican restaurant in the city

on the other hand, i've never even heard the words "latino" and "atlanta" mentioned in the same sentence before this thread.
These two remarks prove that no, you do NOT know Atlanta. At all.

Try again.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Let's talk about educational opportunities in each city

I've always thought of Atlanta as one big college town, LOL.

Agnes Scott College
Clark Atlanta University
Clayton State University
Emory Universty
Georgia State
Georgia Tech
Interdenominational Theological Seminary
Kennesaw State University
Morehouse College
Oglethorpe University
Southern Polytechnic State University
Spelman College

I'd say that Emory, GA Tech, Morehouse and Spelman are the most well known outside of Georgia.

KSU or Clayton State may not be as well known as GA Tech or Emory or even Georgia State, but KSU has excellent Education and Business programs. I am obtaining my MA at KSU right now, and the program I'm in is excellent.

With the AUC, you have the largest collection of HBCU's, two of which are very prominent in that regard.

In the DFW area, there is SMU, TCU, UT-Arlington, UNT, TWU, UT-Dallas, University of Dallas, etc. Out of those, I'd say that SMU and TCU would be the most well known outside of Texas.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
These two remarks prove that no, you do NOT know Atlanta. At all.

Try again.
oh please spare me

compared to the sheer quantity and quality of mexican cuisines you can find in places like texas and california, trying to find good hispanic food in atlanta is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. i'm sure there's a good number of mexican joints along buford highway and around gwinnett county but that's it. and taco cabana doesn't count, by the way

as for the other comment, i might've exaggerated a bit but i wasn't that off. if you don't believe me, ask around. it's no secret that atlanta is one of the last cities that comes to most people's minds when they think of hispanic towns

Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I've always thought of Atlanta as one big college town, LOL.

Agnes Scott College
Clark Atlanta University
Clayton State University
Emory Universty
Georgia State
Georgia Tech
Interdenominational Theological Seminary
Kennesaw State University
Morehouse College
Oglethorpe University
Southern Polytechnic State University
Spelman College

I'd say that Emory, GA Tech, Morehouse and Spelman are the most well known outside of Georgia.

KSU or Clayton State may not be as well known as GA Tech or Emory or even Georgia State, but KSU has excellent Education and Business programs. I am obtaining my MA at KSU right now, and the program I'm in is excellent.

With the AUC, you have the largest collection of HBCU's, two of which are very prominent in that regard.

In the DFW area, there is SMU, TCU, UT-Arlington, UNT, TWU, UT-Dallas, University of Dallas, etc. Out of those, I'd say that SMU and TCU would be the most well known outside of Texas.
ut aggtown and north texas are also well known out-of-state

Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
ut aggtown and north texas are also well known out-of-state
Maybe in the surrounding region (TX, AR, OK, LA, KS), but I seriously doubt they're that familiar to people outside of the immediate region. Just like I'd doubt that KSU or Clayton State are all that well known outside of GA, AL, TN, or FL.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:45 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
oh please spare me

compared to the sheer quantity and quality of mexican cuisines you can find in places like texas and california, trying to find good hispanic food in atlanta is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack. i'm sure there's a good number of mexican joints along buford highway and around gwinnett county but that's it. and taco cabana doesn't count, by the way

as for the other comment, i might've exaggerated a bit but i wasn't that off. if you don't believe me, ask around. it's no secret that atlanta is one of the last cities that comes to most people's minds when they think of hispanic towns
Well, no kidding. Texas and Cali have a COUPLE OF HUNDRED YEARS on us in this area, but your observations are laughable at best.

Your sad attempt to put down the booming Latin influence in Atlanta to boost a place that has ALWAYS had it is pathetic.

These ridiculous remarks expose you as someone who DOES NOT know Atlanta, despite your claims that you do. I suspect you've never been here with these totally ignorant claims.

Oh, and btw, Taco Cabana has always been crap, but thanks for the arrogant insult.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Maybe in the surrounding region (TX, AR, OK, LA, KS), but I seriously doubt they're that familiar to people outside of the immediate region. Just like I'd doubt that KSU or Clayton State are all that well known outside of GA, AL, TN, or FL.
well first off, kansas is not in the region. and both ut-agtn and unt have a good amount of a reputation outside the south central us. and i don't know why you're so sure people haven't heard of ksu or clayton state, because i was aware of both before today

Old 01-04-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
well first off, kansas is not in the region. and both ut-agtn and unt have a good amount of a reputation outside the south central us. and i don't know why you're so sure people haven't heard of ksu or clayton state, because i was aware of both before today
Well good for you.

But as someone who actually attends KSU and knowing people who work there in admissions and recruiting, I'm going by what they tell me. Are there students from outside the immediate region that attend the school? Absolutely. But the vast majority of the students there are from the Atlanta area and other parts of Georgia, Tennesee, Florida, Alabama and the Carolinas.

I used to live in Mississippi and Florida and I was aware of UTA and UNT in spite of living outside the region, but that still doesn't mean that they're the most well-known schools outside of the South Central region. I knew about them mainly from applying for programs at those schools, so while I may have a familiarity with them doesn't mean that they're that well known outside of the immediate surrounding region.

I'm pretty sure that if you ask the average person the first college that they think of when they think of Texas, most people will probably say UT-Austin, Texas A&M, Rice or SMU. Maybe it's a testament to the geographical ignorance of most people. Maybe it's because UT-Arlington or UNT do not have well-known football programs, who knows? But that's neither here nor there.

Some schools are nationally known (UT-Austin, SMU, GA Tech, etc), some are regionally known (UTA, Kennesaw State, etc.), oh well, YMMV. There is no need to get so defensive about this.

Last edited by grindin; 01-04-2010 at 09:19 AM..

Old 01-04-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Well, no kidding. Texas and Cali have a COUPLE OF HUNDRED YEARS on us in this area, but your observations are laughable at best.

Your sad attempt to put down the booming Latin influence in Atlanta to boost a place that has ALWAYS had it is pathetic.

These ridiculous remarks expose you as someone who DOES NOT know Atlanta, despite your claims that you do. I suspect you've never been here with these totally ignorant claims.

Oh, and btw, Taco Cabana has always been crap, but thanks for the arrogant insult.
ok calm down

if you weren't so focused on attacking me, you would have seen that i was indeed NOT trying to put down the latino influence in atlanta, but rather was trying to explain to chiatldal that the latino presence in metro atlanta is NOT the same as the black presence in dallas. and it's almost disrespectful to suggest that it is

and i'm interested in hearing what exactly makes you think i've never been to atlanta. i mean, what i just stated above is fact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City