Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
oh sorry, I was just letting you know the neighborhoods you posted to compare suburban neighborhoods were intown neighborhoods not suburban thats all.
Tucker inside 285 (over by Mercer) is 'intown'. Lake Highlands is considered 'intown' by Dallasites.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:56 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Stupidity maybe too far, but there is a serious case of over-sensitivity and poor reading comprehension on these forums.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No need to be insulting when explaining yourself. If you do in fact feel such a need, then maybe you should own the terms 'contrary and hypersensitive' instead of accusing others of such behavior.

There is a difference between expressing frustration with people that misinterpret posts vs being contrary and sensitive and jumping on people when they misinterpret said posts.

Keep in mind that I was NOT saying those are typical neighborhoods in either city. I was thinking of areas that have 'some' similarities to each other. I picked Tucker and Lake Highlands because they are neighborhoods that are close to each respective city's loop freeway, but still just 'intown'. I picked Snellvile and Lewisville because they are established suburbs that grew at about the same time/era (80s/early 90s) and newer suburbs have grown beyond those points.

I guess maybe next time, I'll put up a disclaimer since people are so ready to jump on other posters for not havig the same interpretations of things and I find myself having to overexplain stuff.

I hate Mondays...

Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
There is a difference between expressing frustration with people that misinterpret posts vs being contrary and sensitive and jumping on people when they misinterpret said posts.

Keep in mind that I was NOT saying those are typical neighborhoods in either city. I was thinking of areas that have 'some' similarities to each other. I picked Tucker and Lake Highlands because they are neighborhoods that are close to each respective city's loop freeway, but still just 'intown'. I picked Snellvile and Lewisville because they are established suburbs that grew at about the same time/era (80s/early 90s) and newer suburbs have grown beyond those points.

I guess maybe next time, I'll put up a disclaimer since people are so ready to jump on other posters for not havig the same interpretations of things and I find myself having to overexplain stuff.

I hate Mondays...
Grindin, I was kind of taken aback by the comment...especially since it was so unlike you. I would just like to forget it.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Grindin, I was kind of taken aback by the comment...especially since it was so unlike you. I would just like to forget it.
Forgotten.

I do apologize for being so harsh. Long day. Like I said, I hate Mondays, LOL.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:59 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post

I see that a few posters have a serious lack of reading comprehension skills. I was comparing SUBURB to SUBURB, NOT URBAN NEIGHBORHOODS. If I was comparing Midtown Atlanta to Uptown Dallas or Buckhead to the Park Cities, or Little Five/VA Highlad to Bishop Arts, I would have posted those neighborhoods. Again, since some of you are so stupid and overly sensitive and don't get what I was saying, I WAS COMPARING SUBURBAN NEIGHBORHOODS.
I'm not denying that there are dense, urban neighborhoods in the inner core of Atlanta, but the lots do seem larger here than they do in Dallas.

Next time, instead of being so contrary and hypersensitive, read what I was saying.
Actually you compared neighborhoods inside the Dallas beltway to neighborhoods inside Atlanta beltway. I respond to you because once you posted that bad representation of Atlanta and the inners that weren't even typical of neighborhoods inside Atlanta's perimeter, poster started doing this

Quote:
Did anyone notice the lack of sidewalks in the Atlanta neighborhood pics? This, the big yards and tons of greenery always made me feel like Atlanta had a more rural than urban feel to it. Outside of the city core of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
^^^I agree. It was harder for me to distinguish when I went ATL.
refering to the city and suburbs

Quote:
Well technically you start seeing the houses with large lots in the single family residential areas of buckhead. One of my best friends lives in the Peachtree Battle neighborhood, gorgeous house and HUGE yard.
The more dense urban neighborhoods in Atlanta surround downtown and midtown. Once you get to north Buckhead there are huge estates in every direction on many acres. Even Sandy springs, Alpharetta and Marietta (East Cobb) are Very sprawled compared to the development you see around the Metroplex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Does all of Atlanta's suburbs look like that though??? Suburbs like the ones you put up for Dallas are just exceptions.
Responding back to me, after I showed McMansion like neighborhoods in the Dallas beltwayand showed typical inner suburbs neighborhoods of Metro Atlanta.

Mean while the density DFW metroplex is 634/sq. mi in a area of 9,286 sq. mi and Metro ATL density is 630/sq mi in area of 8,376 sq mi, Atlanta suburbs are not anymore sprawled out then DFW suburbs. The neighborhoods you posted in Atlanta's beltway "you know the ones with the big lots" were McMansion like neighborhoods! then you turn and posted neighborhoods in the Dallas beltway that were more of a middle class area, that's why the Dallas neighborhoods seem to be more urban. Which is why I reposted Decatur and Stone Mountain after you did, I posted Ben Hill which is part of Atlanta but not the core, and regardless of what some posters say Candler Park isn't next to downtown it's in the dekalb proportion of Atlanta. Those were just a few examples, I didn't misinterpret you and I was going by same rules.

You brought up DC which is more urban anyway it go compare to Atlanta, but the Atlanta intown neighborhood you chosen to campare to DC was horrible, Atlanta is not the densest city, but it's little better then that. That's why I brought up some of the Atlanta intown neighborhoods that were more typical of intown Atlanta. So actually you did, brought up intown neighborhoods! it just was DC vs. ATL instead of Dallas.

Last edited by chiatldal; 01-12-2010 at 02:12 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 02:59 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Not too familiar with either, but I think I'd go with Atlanta since it has a stronger film industry. It also seems to have milder weather, a large concentration of great colleges and universities (and should have the accompanying amenities which come with such), and a great airport from which to jet off elsewhere if necessary. One great problem I have with Atlanta is how MARTA doesn't seem poised to expand much anytime soon.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Not too familiar with either, but I think I'd go with Atlanta since it has a stronger film industry. It also seems to have milder weather, a large concentration of great colleges and universities (and should have the accompanying amenities which come with such), and a great airport from which to jet off elsewhere if necessary. One great problem I have with Atlanta is how MARTA doesn't seem poised to expand much anytime soon.
A source of frustration to many Atlantans as well, I assure you...enough to be a factor in the next gubernatorial election.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Actually you compared neighborhoods inside the Dallas beltway to neighborhoods inside Atlanta beltway. I respond to you because once you posted that bad representation of Atlanta and the inners that weren't even typical of neighborhoods inside Atlanta's perimeter, poster started doing this

refering to the city and suburbs

more nonsense...

You brought up DC which is more urban anyway it go compare to Atlanta, but the Atlanta intown neighborhood you chosen to campare to DC was horrible, Atlanta is not the densest city, but it's little better then that. That's why I brought up some of the Atlanta intown neighborhoods that were more typical of intown Atlanta. So actually you did, brought up intown neighborhoods! it just was DC vs. ATL instead of Dallas.

Let's beat this dead horse some more, shall we? You really cannot be this simple. I never said those were typical Atlanta neighborhoods. I was just merely demonstrating that there are neighborhoods relatively close to the city with these characteristics. Most people seem to understand this and understood I was not being representative of or trying to misrepresent all of Atlanta. If you still don't understand this, that is your problem not mine.

I am through with you. Next time you come at me, learn some reading comprehension and grammar skills. Until then, kick rocks and pi$$ off

Old 01-12-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
A source of frustration to many Atlantans as well, I assure you...enough to be a factor in the next gubernatorial election.

I certainly hope so. It seems that there are so many politicians in this state that still want to rule it as if Georgia is still a rural state rather than a state that is in the top 10. And too many that want to "stick it" to the "big city folks" in Atlanta. It really is frustrating. I hope Oxendine doesn't have a chance, but then again, if a wrestler and an actor can be governors of other states...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City