Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:44 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times

Advertisements

Damn big loss for Dallas loosing Steve Harvey and Rickey Smiley---Was a radio favorite in Dallas. Tom Joyner and Micheal Baisden are still based out of Dallas. DFW always seem to bounce back as far black radio is concerned. This will be no different.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Rickey Smiley also moved his entire radio/morning show from Dallas to Atlanta this year.
I keep hearing that, but like I said, his myspace still says Dallas as does the show website.

I'm hoping it's not true, because it's kind of aggravating that everything "black" seems to be jetting to Atlanta as if the millions of other black folk across the nation don't matter.

I mean, are we ALL gonna wind up in Atlanta eventually?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:50 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Damn big loss for Dallas loosing Steve Harvey and Rickey Smiley---Was a radio favorite in Dallas. Tom Joyner and Micheal Baisden are still based out of Dallas. DFW always seem to bounce back as far black radio is concerned. This will be no different.
So y'all don't get the morning show at all no more?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:54 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post

but people can identify it more with ATL because it is a MAJORITY BLACK city that has several well off blacks. In Houston and Dallas, not only are blacks not the majority, they arent even the 2nd largest racial makeup, trailing both whites and hispanics. Also, with Atlanta being pivotal in the civil rights movement and being in the American Southeast in the state of Georgia (which as a whole has a more widespread black population and culture than Texas...even outside of these 2 cities) it's just more natural that one would consider ATL a "black mecca" over Houston or Dallas (even though they are great for blacks as well)
Let's look at it like this. What does Atlanta have to attract African Americans, that Houston or Dallas doesn't?

They all have high and middle-class blacks.
They all have well-paying jobs and careers.
They all have their own black music scenes and nightlife.
They all have a variety of entertainment and dining to choose from.

Atlanta may have the ties to the Civil Rights Movement, but how many young blacks actually use that in deciding to move to Atlanta? Many younger generations do not even know anything about the Civil Rights Movement other than the basics.

Houston and Dallas proper also has mre African Americans than Atlanta proper but of course if you consider the metro area, Atlanta has double.

So my question is, What is the ultimate factor in swaying more blacks to Atlanta?

It would also be nice if we had data showing where blacks moving to each city were moving from.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
So y'all don't get the morning show at all no more?
I didnt know Rickey Smiley or steve harvey relocated but the show still comes on. It sucks and boring in my opinion that everything that is black is relocating to Atlanta. Damn whatever happen to loyalty and building a strong foundation in your own communites.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I didnt know Rickey Smiley or steve harvey relocated but the show still comes on. It sucks and boring in my opinion that everything that is black is relocating to Atlanta. Damn whatever happen to loyalty and building a strong foundation in your own communites.
I dread the Steve Harvey show.

Where is the Big Boi mornigshow broadcast from? I always though it was from Atlanta.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I dread the Steve Harvey show.

Where is the Big Boi mornigshow broadcast from? I always though it was from Atlanta.
LOL my mama does too...but big boi is based out of ATL and we dont get Big Boi in DFW....

Old 12-17-2009, 02:03 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Does anybody have pictures of Dallas and Atlanta's suburbs?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry. I own several pictures of Atlanta itself but only have these few pictures of a neighborhood near Griffin which is about 38 miles south of Atlanta. These are the only pictures of an Atlanta Suburb I have. Mostly been concentrating on the city since I got my camera.

And Atlanta Motor speedway in Hampton about 30 miles South of Atlanta.

Last edited by Galounger; 12-17-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
LOL my mama does too...
For one it's boring. Then there's like not team effort. Everybody agrees with Steve, everybody laughs at Steve regardless of how unfunny he may be at the time. It's like this is Steve's show and what Steve says goes. Nobody else contributes anything to the show other than to back up Steve. I've even heard an episode where the Strawberry lady went against the grain and you could tell that Steve wasn't to happy.

Thank God for Big Boi's neighborhood and Tom Joyner.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:07 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I keep hearing that, but like I said, his myspace still says Dallas as does the show website.

I'm hoping it's not true, because it's kind of aggravating that everything "black" seems to be jetting to Atlanta as if the millions of other black folk across the nation don't matter.

I mean, are we ALL gonna wind up in Atlanta eventually?
Don't be silly. Even the Atlantan's (including myself) have said that Houston and Dallas are great options for African Americans and that just because you're black doesn't mean that Atlanta is going to be a good fit for you. And we even went into detail about why things came to be. Hell, it took over almost 20 pages of this thread. Let's not get into THAT again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAmcCdvZCDg

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City