Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Dallas 124 48.82%
Atlanta 130 51.18%
Voters: 254. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:58 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Atlanta is a very racial/racist city. I've never in my life seen the animosity between whites and blacks like I have in Atlanta. Other than that, it's a very pretty city and all, but the racial tension there is thick enough to cut with a knife.

How about this yall actually explain the reason for yall comments give examples instead of just commenting. Historically Atlanta has been one the most progressive cities in south. The city is dub "the city too busy too hate" not saying there aren't racial conflict but Atlanta is one the last cities on the list especially in the south to pin point for racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I agree

However, you will soon be attacked by the Atl mob and told you are wrong for having that opinion. hehe
Its funny to watch each Atl comment get pounced on.
The reason why you will get critical responses by Atlantans because your comment my bad your "opinion" is attack itself, especially when yall can't back your opinion. R1070 your not the only person that lived in both Dallas and Atlanta, but here is my opinion someone who lived in Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Charlotte growing up back and forth, in addition to visiting other cities, I beg to differ to in yall opinion.

You know what's so weird about this? The first time I actually experience racism was when I was a teenager in the DFW area North Arlington at night with two of my cousins walking down lamar Blvd. Some racist losers yell out the car all kind of n-words, and ****, one of my cousins yell your momma, they stop and pull in a parking lot. My cousins and me was 3 deep so we were ok with fighting, it was just two of them, but then as we were walking to them they pop there trunk and they pull out bats. Before we got to them one of my cousins told me to call the cops because I'm the only one with a phone and it will be too stupid to try to fight them. I pull out my cell and reactionary they jump back in they're car and drove off.

I never experience anything close to that anywhere else in my life, but I'm not going to faut the Dallas-FT Worth area for that occurrence because that would be a hasty generalization of a region. Animosity between whites and blacks in Atlanta? man it's 2010. Maybe you shouldn't make claims that you can't back up that's a hasty generalization in first place.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:47 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
...or Adric had a really good tan.
Haha no I'm quite pale (Irish genes)

I think he was a little drunk. He was saying that to a lot of white people waiting for the train.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:51 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,098,420 times
Quote:
Thanks R1070. I was refused service in an IHOP in downtown Atlanta about 10 years ago. The restaurant was all black and they literally refused me service. I have absolutely nothing against black people; feel for what they have endured over the decades in this country and have not a racist bone in my body, but these people saw fit to simply flat out refuse to serve me. I've never been treated so rudely in my life. The harmony between whites and blacks in the Dallas area is fantastic in my opinion. We simply get along. Sure, there are problems, but the outright racism that I witnessed firsthand in Atlanta was just beyond belief.
Did someone tell you was being treat different because of your race or you made a assumption? give more detail in that story, because that may not even be a racial conflict at all honesty, I not saying this is you but I had met some people who were quick to point out blacks who generalize whites as clansmen were racist, which I agree! but had a general belief that all or most blacks are part of the black panthers which is hypocritical, this is why folks shouldn't generalize.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
I think you can have a racist experiance in any city anywhere. I dont think thats specific to Atlanta, Dallas, or wherever.

My grandmother used to live in Houston with my dad (we are Arabic/Lebanese). After 9/11, they had a brick throw into their window calling us "sand ni**ers" and telling them to go back to their country. Its funny because my dad was born in Dallas and has never even been there. It was hit my grandmother so hard she left Houston and went to live with relatives in Montreal for a while. She now lives in Waco. But it would be foolish to judge Houston based on that one experiance.

Likewise in LA, after Rodney King, African Americans and Koreans hated each other. I used to go with one of my friends (who is black) to the Korean BBQ resturants on Vermont Ave. We would be glared at hardcore and one place refused to serve us.

In my opinion Houston and LA are pretty laid back from a race perspective. Racism can happen anywhere.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 PM

631 posts, read 1,227,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
How about this yall actually explain the reason for yall comments give examples instead of just commenting. Historically Atlanta has been one the most progressive cities in south. The city is dub "the city too busy too hate" not saying there aren't racial conflict but Atlanta is one the last cities on the list especially in the south to pin point for racism.

The reason why you will get critical responses by Atlantans because your comment my bad your "opinion" is attack itself, especially when yall can't back your opinion. R1070 your not the only person that lived in both Dallas and Atlanta, but here is my opinion someone who lived in Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas and Charlotte growing up back and forth, in addition to visiting other cities, I beg to differ to in yall opinion.

You know what's so weird about this? The first time I actually experience racism was when I was a teenager in the DFW area North Arlington at night with two of my cousins walking down lamar Blvd. Some racist losers yell out the car all kind of n-words, and ****, one of my cousins yell your momma, they stop and pull in a parking lot. My cousins and me was 3 deep so we were ok with fighting, it was just two of them, but then as we were walking to them they pop there trunk and they pull out bats. Before we got to them one of my cousins told me to call the cops because I'm the only one with a phone and it will be too stupid to try to fight them. I pull out my cell and reactionary they jump back in they're car and drove off.

I never experience anything close to that anywhere else in my life, but I'm not going to faut the Dallas-FT Worth area for that occurrence because that would be a hasty generalization of a region. Animosity between whites and blacks in Atlanta? man it's 2010. Maybe you shouldn't make claims that you can't back up that's a hasty generalization in first place.

That poster you name doesnt like Atlanta so if anyone post anything towards Atl he is going to agree with it... People wonder why Atl posters defend there city because people always make so many random outrageous things about ATL....

Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks R1070. I was refused service in an IHOP in downtown Atlanta about 10 years ago. The restaurant was all black and they literally refused me service. I have absolutely nothing against black people; feel for what they have endured over the decades in this country and have not a racist bone in my body, but these people saw fit to simply flat out refuse to serve me. I've never been treated so rudely in my life. The harmony between whites and blacks in the Dallas area is fantastic in my opinion. We simply get along. Sure, there are problems, but the outright racism that I witnessed firsthand in Atlanta was just beyond belief.

I know you didnt say 10 years ago. What happen in present day Atlanta too you ???? yall kill me with this racist crap.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but I promise you 100% (swearing on the Bible kind of stuff) that it absolutely did happen to me; I am not exaggerating one single bit. That has never happened to me in any other city before. It was the only time that I've ever been to Atlanta, so you're correct in saying that it was an isolated incident. However, I have traveled all over the US and the world and nothing ever has happened to me like that in my life, racially speaking. You do have to admit that if it happened to you it would definitely sway your estimation of a city to the negative, even if it was the only time you had ever been there.

I've lived and worked among blacks my whole life; I have a deep respect for what they have been through, have had many friends who are black and feel completely and utterly comfortable among black people. Some of the kindest and most thoughtful people I've ever encountered in my life are black. Truly good, decent, hard working people that would give you the shirt of their back and never stab you in YOUR back. I suppose that I had an epiphany that night; I got a little (very, very little) taste of what we whites have dished out to blacks for centuries and I just figured to let it go.

You're right, I should have probably written a strongly worded letter of protest to IHOP's headquarters and even tried to get it on the news but I was younger and at the time situations were hard for me. It was a new job and I didn't want to make any waves after being unemployed for almost a year. I said 10 years ago earlier but it happened right before the Olympics (literally within a couple of weeks before) in Atlanta.

So dont say atlanta is racist city because of one inccident, You just generalize the entire body of people. Sorry that happen but racist things canhappen anywhere im pretty sure thos things happen anywhere in america

Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Which city has the best looking women?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:13 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
Depends on what you like..

Old 01-22-2010, 10:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
If you like hairy black women, Atlanta.

If you like hariy hispanic women, Dallas.

On a somewhat related note, why is it that all of the Salvadoran women Ive met here are huge? The Mexican women Ive met arent quite so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City