Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Just more videos I see.

Many European nations have high English speaking populations.
How did NYC influence that?
cilvaringz said on one of his albums/tapes that he learned to speak english from listening to wu tang. and in one of the vids you had a kid from (a non english speaking part of) europe calling himself moongod?? making rza style beats?? associated with wu tang? come on, son.

you are not that dense. these ppl speak like us. they walk like us, they talk like us, they produce music like us and they are not from nyc at all. the power of music, son.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:22 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I noticed something... The only people posting here are either from NY or NJ (for the most part anyway)
Basically nobody else cares.
please. how and why would a person that isn't familiar with the metro area post???

Old 01-04-2010, 09:34 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,092,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post
I told you I can pick a neighborhood in Flushing that would blow your diverse Jersey City out of the water...

Anyways, this is city-data, you can make more claims so folks from Texas and Nebraska will think that on the wrong side of Hudson there is this big urban wonder very similar to New York City.... But we all know that on one side of Manhattan you have this 6.5M strong, superbig, superdense, diverse and thriving city and on the other side.... bleak suburbia. In some locations very rich, in some very clean but as it as always the case with suburbia, pretty bland and uninspiring.

Kids from the burbs have always been trying to emulate and play city-tough, you are not the first not the last, but it does not take much to show you where you belong. We'll see you in the city. Don't forget to pay the toll. Cheers.
exactly. Its not the point that the boroughs have a large demographic of internationals. New york is a big incubator for international culture. Way moreso than new jersey. Its not even a competition. jc is diverse as a city of hundreds of thousands, the boroughs have millions. What are jerseyans saying?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcruisin View Post
BPerone, nice graphs, but you forgot to mention that Jersey City is a tiny part of New Jersey, a little over 200K while Queens is 2.2M giant, the fourth most densely populated county in the US after Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx. Of course I could find a tiny 200K part of Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx that is even more diverse... Try to have a 2.2M city that is as diverse as Queens... Ooops, both big Jersey cities, Jersey City and Newark even combined are less populous than Queens. In case you wonder Brooklyn and the Bronx are bigger, too.
By the way, no way New Jersey shares its culture with New York, if it did, Manhattan would have large, dense cities on both of its sides.. Does it? No, on side there is this hugem extremjely dense 6.5M city and on the other? Endless suburbia.

Stop embarassing yourself, New Jersey... . Dismissed.
bolded for emphasis

Old 01-04-2010, 09:39 PM

160 posts, read 498,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
exactly. Its not the point that the boroughs have a large demographic of internationals. New york is a big incubator for international culture. Way moreso than new jersey. Its not even a competition. jc is diverse as a city of hundreds of thousands, the boroughs have millions. What are jerseyans saying?
That there are neighborhoods, cities, counties, and regions of New Jersey that stack up against the boroughs in terms of diversity.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Anyway, I think i'm sensing some hostility come from your newly made account. I don't want to have to further embarrass you, so I'll leave you here to sit here in your own mess.
You jerseyans cant tell where seperate ppl. Ya lost

And to Gaurdian- We have extreme diversirty through out millions of ppl instead of thousands. The boroughs are more relevant to their respective contry ,culturally, than new jersey

EX- Brooklyn to jamaica. Bronx to puerto rico etc

Jersey has no relevance both in the US and internationally like the boroughs

Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,152,185 times
I got to give it to Tommy 37,

For a while there he was battling all of you NY defenders like a champ. I don't know where he went. I liked his tenacity. Problem is, you are comparing a city of 200,000 to boroughs of 2 plus million. This is why they cannot be compared. Yeah, sure you can find some slow spots in the buroughs. But they aren't all over like some would leave you to believe. The buroughs rock. Personally, I like them better than Manhattan. Most true NY'ers will tell you this, but many don't want to hear it. They just point to Manhattan and say that is why you are famous. But the truth is, the Buroughs would all be considered world class cities themselves, weather Manhattan was there or not. Manhattan is nice. But it is mostly for business, tourists and the like. (I have to edit in here. There are over 1.6 million residents in Manhattan so I didn't mean to minimize.) But the real energy anymore is in the buroughs. At least the kind of energy that can come with a certain unknown quality.

However,

Having said that. Jersey isn't exactly rural either. I give Jersey it's props. On state by state basis, they are the most urban. There isn't much country in Jersey. Everything gets connected. so I also agree with some of the Jersey defenders. Jersey has some rough spots too. Don't take Jersey lightly. But come on the truth is it's all one metro. They are more similar than not. Nothings going to come as close to NYC as certain parts of Jersey. That's not hard to accept. Jersey's coulture is more in mesh with NYC than any other city. Give them that due. They practically live there the way they infiltrate the city.

Are the exactly alike? No, of course not. But give them there due. There pretty similar in urban appeal.

By the way. As far as the referrence to baseball being played in Jersey first. That's true, because there was no place to put it in Manhattan. It was NY'ers who put it there. Just like they put Giants stadium there. They understand that that part of Jersey is associated with NY. Tunnel or not.

Bicker aside, I see it all as one metro area. I don't look down on Jersey'ians, yet I do understand NY'ers resentment. Although it is very similar. It still is not just like. The Buroughs are special in there own right. Don't let alot of these nay sayers tell you different. They just are too afraid to step foot in them so they just assume whatever. The Buroughs are more NYC than Manhattan is. That's just my opinion. No time to edit, hope my stuff aint to off.

I guess in the end this fued seems silly. Why hate your neighbor. It's like a city smacking around it's suburbs. No pun intended. There as inter connected as any other place. I don't get the disrespect. Personally, I think Jersey has contributed a lot to this country.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 PM

4 posts, read 3,656 times
Guardian,

I can see you are still hoping for the Nebraska and Texas crowd....
I don't need those pictures to know that Jersey city is a relatively small 200K city with few high rises and Newark is not much bigger yet so dangerous it is avoided by most people, including New Jerseyans at all cost. C'mon, give us few more shots of the same Jersey skyline and few more shots of the famed murder capital of the US Newark New Jersey...
Maybe some Texans and Nebraskans will believe that those two cities totalling just 400K residents are very typical North Jersey neighborhoods

Remember, even without Manhattan Brooklyn, Queens and Bronx would be the largest US city with 6.5M residents. Seprated from Manhattan they would form the second largest city in the US. Larger than both LA and Chicago. Are you trying to compare Jersey City and Newark to that? Or maybe Trenton, Camden, Elisabeth Morristown ? You guys are pathetic...

Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 PM

4 posts, read 3,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian of The Gulf View Post
That there are neighborhoods, cities, counties, and regions of New Jersey that stack up against the boroughs in terms of diversity.
And which county would that be? Of course you can find extremely diverse zip codes anywhere in the US. The point is that only New York is so densely populated and diverse as an entire city. Entire counties of New York that even standalone would be big cities based on population and density are in the same time extremely diverse. Queens is considered the MOST diverse county in the US. There is nothing like that in New Jersey.

Maybe I should invite twenty people to my backyard party, each one of them from a different country and claim New York is no longer the most diverse. My backyard is. Use your imagination...

Last edited by justcruisin; 01-04-2010 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 10:45 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I got to give it to Tommy 37,

For a while there he was battling all of you NY defenders like a champ. I don't know where he went. I liked his tenacity. Problem is, you are comparing a city of 200,000 to boroughs of 2 plus million. This is why they cannot be compared. Yeah, sure you can find some slow spots in the buroughs. But they aren't all over like some would leave you to believe. The buroughs rock. Personally, I like them better than Manhattan. Most true NY'ers will tell you this, but many don't want to hear it. They just point to Manhattan and say that is why you are famous. But the truth is, the Buroughs would all be considered world class cities themselves, weather Manhattan was there or not. Manhattan is nice. But it is mostly for business, tourists and the like. (I have to edit in here. There are over 1.6 million residents in Manhattan so I didn't mean to minimize.) But the real energy anymore is in the buroughs. At least the kind of energy that can come with a certain unknown quality.

However,

Having said that. Jersey isn't exactly rural either. I give Jersey it's props. On state by state basis, they are the most urban. There isn't much country in Jersey. Everything gets connected. so I also agree with some of the Jersey defenders. Jersey has some rough spots too. Don't take Jersey lightly. But come on the truth is it's all one metro. They are more similar than not. Nothings going to come as close to NYC as certain parts of Jersey. That's not hard to accept. Jersey's coulture is more in mesh with NYC than any other city. Give them that due. They practically live there the way they infiltrate the city.

Are the exactly alike? No, of course not. But give them there due. There pretty similar in urban appeal.

By the way. As far as the referrence to baseball being played in Jersey first. That's true, because there was no place to put it in Manhattan. It was NY'ers who put it there. Just like they put Giants stadium there. They understand that that part of Jersey is associated with NY. Tunnel or not.

Bicker aside, I see it all as one metro area. I don't look down on Jersey'ians, yet I do understand NY'ers resentment. Although it is very similar. It still is not just like. The Buroughs are special in there own right. Don't let alot of these nay sayers tell you different. They just are too afraid to step foot in them so they just assume whatever. The Buroughs are more NYC than Manhattan is. That's just my opinion. No time to edit, hope my stuff aint to off.

I guess in the end this fued seems silly. Why hate your neighbor. It's like a city smacking around it's suburbs. No pun intended. There as inter connected as any other place. I don't get the disrespect. Personally, I think Jersey has contributed a lot to this country.
+1, Best post I've seen in this silly sibling rivalry contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City