Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City in the South most likely to get a "Super Tower"?
Atlanta GA 71 44.94%
Miami Fl 33 20.89%
Charlotte NC 17 10.76%
New Orleans 2 1.27%
Other (please list in reply) 35 22.15%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:33 PM

415 posts, read 1,210,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Hearst Tower is owned by BOA. Others like Interstate, Carillon, etc. were built to house banking-related industries (lawyers, accountants, etc.).
Okay one, you will need residential needs so ones like the Catalyst, 210 Trade and a few others, a few also have broke the 50 Floor count!

Quote:
I'm not talking about the suburban areas. You can find those types of office buildings in any city/metro area of significant size. I'm talking about uptown.
I was also declaring that it would also happen in uptown DUHH!

Quote:
You have never lived in Charlotte, and just because you were born and raised in NC doesn't mean you know everything there is to know about Charlotte. That's like me saying that because I live in Charlotte, I should know everything there is to know about Wilmington or Rocky Mount. It doesn't quite work like that. For instance, you live in SC now but you know very little about the state beyond Cross and Charleston. That's not a slam on you, but that's just how things work.
Never said I lived in Charlotte, Said NORTH CAROLINA and I have been to Charlotte plenty of times! How many times do you need to visit a city before you say "HUUMM....I know nothing about this city" OH WAIT YOU DON'T! Further more I have been all through SC it's nothing amazing at all I have been to Columbia,Charleston (all though the small Charleston metro and downtown) Florence, Myrtle Beach and countless other small towns in SC from Bamberg to Pringletown. So while YOU being from SC I would like to say you must really love the luxuries that the GREAT STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA brings you and the CITY OF CHARLOTTE because you just like countless of thousands of others from South Carolina has move to North Carolina. Admit it South Carolina is faarrrr from leading at anything even at what they brag about the most- their beaches while they bring in the thousands NC brings in the Millions compared to yall's beaches. I don't see a major city emerging from the state of South Carolina for about another 150 years or so then maybe they will be on the level of Raleigh as it is today! So if you don't mind I will get back on subject since you always want to bring in the "Well. . .I don't think Stefan understands. . . .cause he is so young and he has no idea" BS again!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______
That the south will not get a super tower in a while either it will take lots of work although Im sure its bound to happen in the future. I think it would look good in my top 3 cities of choice:

Atlanta
Miami
Charlotte

Last edited by stefansanity; 01-09-2010 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: bolding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 PM

BTW yall Im finished with the models here are a few the 1st one is by itself and the other is in the city of Charlotte
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=1263083926000

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...=1263083714000

What do yall think?

Old 01-09-2010, 08:00 PM

293 posts, read 900,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The Bank of America tower is not really over 1,000 feet tall, in terms of having usable floor space at that level. It just has an architectural spire.
That's true. Atlanta does not yet have a super tall. Bank of America Plaza's roof is only up to 933 FT. I don't consider basically a giant pole adding real height so Atlanta doesn't yet have a supertall. The only southern city which has a completed supertall is Houston. LA too if you count it as a southern city.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,876,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Okay one, you will need residential needs so ones like the Catalyst, 210 Trade and a few others, a few also have broke the 50 Floor count!
Firstly, 210 Trade is a canceled project. The only residential project above 50 floors is the Vue at 51 stories. And again, it was the rise of the banking industry that lead to the rise in residential projects uptown as well. The bottom line is that the skyline growth in Charlotte is directly tied to the banking industry.

Quote:
I was also declaring that it would also happen in uptown DUHH!
You were arguing that uptown would continue to get tall highrises and then later stated that it would get lowrises and midrises also. The skyscraper boom in uptown Charlotte is over. I know that's hard for you to accept or understand, but that's reality. It was a great run while it lasted though. We'll continue to get a highrise here and there, but nothing over 600 ft-700 ft. for a good while.

Quote:
Never said I lived in Charlotte, Said NORTH CAROLINA
I know that, but being born and raised in High Point is not the same as being born and raised in Charlotte, whether they are in the same state or not.

Quote:
and I have been to Charlotte plenty of times! How many times do you need to visit a city before you say "HUUMM....I know nothing about this city" OH WAIT YOU DON'T!
You know some basic things about the city, but you're still unaware of the dynamics of the city. And that's to be expected since you're still young. It's just something that happens as you get older. You'll understand what I'm talking about in a few years.

Quote:
Further more I have been all through SC it's nothing amazing at all I have been to Columbia,Charleston (all though the small Charleston metro and downtown) Florence, Myrtle Beach and countless other small towns in SC from Bamberg to Pringletown.
I didn't say you haven't visited any other town/city in SC, I said you're not really familiar with them. As much as you slam Charleston and its "small" downtown, it's denser than Charlotte's, possibly more populated, and has stuff that we'd kill for in Charlotte. Again, that's something you'll probably understand as you get older when you grow beyond the "my state can beat up your state" syndrome.

Quote:
So while YOU being from SC I would like to say you must really love the luxuries that the GREAT STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA brings you and the CITY OF CHARLOTTE because you just like countless of thousands of others from South Carolina has move to North Carolina.
Yes, I enjoy Charlotte for what it is. I hope to eventually move to a larger city (preferably DC), but it's cool for right now. And SC'ers are moving to Charlotte, not really any other place in NC--surely not High Point, LOL.

Quote:
Admit it South Carolina is faarrrr from leading at anything even at what they brag about the most- their beaches while they bring in the thousands NC brings in the Millions compared to yall's beaches.
Why does everything have to turn into a "my home state is better than your home state" argument with you? One minute you want to talk about how well-versed you are and how you read on a college level, then the next minute you're acting like you're in middle school. Your maturity level certainly doesn't seem to reflect your so-called college reading level, that's for sure. And just for the record, SC's beaches are more popular than NC's; that much is obvious since SC ranks higher in tourism than NC. People in Charlotte go to Myrtle Beach and the Charleston area beaches and barely go to the Wilmington area beaches. But that's cool, since NC's beaches are more preserved and pristine on average.

Quote:
I don't see a major city emerging from the state of South Carolina for about another 150 years or so then maybe they will be on the level of Raleigh as it is today! So if you don't mind I will get back on subject since you always want to bring in the "Well. . .I don't think Stefan understands. . . .cause he is so young and he has no idea" BS again!
The fact that you had to digress into a middle-school argument about how much better NC is than SC definitely shows you're quite young, that's for sure. And there's nothing wrong with that, but you ought to be willing to learn and stop acting like you know everything already when you clearly don't.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 01-09-2010 at 09:35 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Firstly, 210 Trade is a canceled project. The only residential project above 50 floors is the Vue at 51 stories. And again, it was the rise of the banking industry that lead to the rise in residential projects uptown as well. The bottom line is that the skyline growth in Charlotte is directly tied to the banking industry.

You were arguing that uptown would continue to get tall highrises and then later stated that it would get lowrises and midrises also. The skyscraper boom in uptown Charlotte is over. I know that's hard for you to accept or understand, but that's reality. It was a great run while it lasted though. We'll continue to get a highrise here and there, but nothing over 600 ft-700 ft. for a good while.

I know that, but being born and raised in High Point is not the same as being born and raised in Charlotte, whether they are in the same state or not.

You know some basic things about the city, but you're still unaware of the dynamics of the city. And that's to be expected since you're still young. It's just something that happens as you get older. You'll understand what I'm talking about in a few years.

I didn't say you haven't visited any other town/city in SC, I said you're not really familiar with them. As much as you slam Charleston and its "small" downtown, it's denser than Charlotte's, possibly more populated, and has stuff that we'd kill for in Charlotte. Again, that's something you'll probably understand as you get older when you grow beyond the "my state can beat up your state" syndrome.

Yes, I enjoy Charlotte for what it is. I hope to eventually move to a larger city (preferably DC), but it's cool for right now. And SC'ers are moving to Charlotte, not really any other place in NC--surely not High Point, LOL.

Why does everything have to turn into a "my home state is better than your home state" argument with you? One minute you want to talk about how well-versed you are and how you read on a college level, then the next minute you're acting like you're in middle school. Your maturity level certainly doesn't seem to reflect your so-called college reading level, that's for sure. And just for the record, SC's beaches are more popular than NC's. People in Charlotte go to Myrtle Beach and the Charleston area beaches and barely go to the Wilmington area beaches. But that's cool, since NC's beaches are more preserved and pristine on average.

The fact that you had to digress into a middle-school argument about how much better NC is than SC definitely shows you're quite young, that's for sure. And there's nothing wrong with that, but you ought to be willing to learn and stop acting like you know everything already when you clearly don't.
You talk about me being so immature and childish yet in reality your the one being childish you know since you are of course arguing with a "Child" so you can LOL that to my rosy red *****. Im through with you you turn peoples words around, flip them sideways and shove it back at em so just do me and everyone else a favor! Dont contact me in anyway or talk about me! Don't you think thats a very MATURE way?!

Old 01-09-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhyperchaos View Post
That's true. Atlanta does not yet have a super tall. Bank of America Plaza's roof is only up to 933 FT. I don't consider basically a giant pole adding real height so Atlanta doesn't yet have a supertall.
The crown is part of the building, so yes, Atlanta does have a supertall in BOA Plaza.

Quote:
The only southern city which has a completed supertall is Houston. LA too if you count it as a southern city.
LA is not in the South. LA is a West coast city.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
You talk about me being so immature and childish yet in reality your the one being childish you know since you are of course arguing with a "Child" so you can LOL that to my rosy red *****. Im through with you you turn peoples words around, flip them sideways and shove it back at em so just do me and everyone else a favor! Dont contact me in anyway or talk about me! Don't you think thats a very MATURE way?!
Case in point. "I can't have a mature, intelligent discussion, so I'll just call you names! I win!" Get a grip dude. You're really making your own self look foolish here.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:43 PM

^^Ha ha grown up arguing with a little teenager!!! XD

Old 01-09-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nothing really tall will be built inside DC. Virginia has some obstacles since National and Dulles are close to some of the mode centers like Crystal City and Rosslyn(National) and Tyson's Corner (Dulles). However, Bethesda and Silver Spring could get a very tall tower but they don't. The states of Virginia and Maryland don't have very tall towers to begin with and that's a mystery.
As far as DC, this article has some good information in it, particularly regarding the future of DC's cityscape and possibly relaxation of the district-wide height restrictions. A relevant excerpt:

Quote:
Contrary to popular lore -- and many a cabbie-turned- unofficial-tour-guide -- Congress did not tailor the law to establish the 555-foot Washington Monument as the city's tallest structure, or to ensure that the Capitol, at 288 feet, would not be overshadowed. Rather, lawmakers were responding to protests prompted by the rise of the 160-foot Cairo apartment building, on Q Street NW near 16th Street, in 1894.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:52 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,870,900 times
miami supposed to get this, construction is supposed to start in 2011. its going to be 1015 ft

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City