Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 02:24 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican312 View Post
It's still pretty safe about 5% murder rate per capita. And so is Chicago and LA.There all pretty safe. Now Gary,In ,Camden,Nj, Detroit, New Orleans, Phily, Richmond,CA, Baltimore and even Baton Rouge have higher murder rates. Chicago,NYC,and LA are like a walk in the park compared to those cities.
nyc , chicago and l.a are perfectly planned cities with a lot of nice areas measuring out the bad. as long as your not in the bad areas of these 3 cities you are fine, and good to go.

cities like baltimore, gary , or camden are cities that are small in population and mostly poor with the bad areas making up most of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 02:57 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Why you post wrong stats, the list just came out and number one according to the fbi was New Orleans at 52/100,000 followed by Richmond, CA at 46/100,000.
A couple of notes:

The FBI figures are usually for cities of over 100,000. Gary, I believe, has dropped below that threshold.

More violence occurs when the weather is warm, because people are out and about making contact more. This would likely increase the amount of violence in the South and West relative to the North....especially the Great Lakes area were temparatures often drop below zero (not too many drive by's taking place in those temps). Thugs are jammed up by the weather up north...at least 3 months out the year.

As an African American.....all these murders bothers me. They are not just numbers....they are loved ones of people. Comparing murder rates just does not seem constructive to me. When the life or lives of some of your loved ones are part of such statistics....well....its the worst place in the world....even if it is the only homicide in the city that year.

As a black man...too many incidents can turn deadly quick. My motto is prepare for the worst....but try your best not to escalate a conflit, disagreement or argument. Everyone is looking for respect and the first thing I try to let brothers know is that I give them the same respect that I expect as a man. You don't want to jam someone up where they don't have no choice but gun play or other forms of violence. You got to give them a way out to save face....but sometimes that don't even work. You got to know yourself. There certainly is not a shortage of opportunities to have to blast someone....so you have to pick your battles carefully. Rule of thumb: Don't f'ck with someone who has nothing to lose....if you have a whole lot to loose. Avoid arguments. Make sure your women knows how to carry herself in certain situations. Women are often like Presidents.....they start wars that that someone else (you) have to fight....by they way they conduct themselves. Women get off on their men being in conflict with other men...it seems to make them feel like they have a "real man". You don't want to get caught up in that BS. In the end when you are in jail or dead....she on to the next one.

Its only a few things that I will blast someone over....and I am always prepared to do that. Everything else I will just walk away from. We have been through too much as a people for this nonsense. I can hardly walk past a black man without them screwing up their face trying to look like they "go hard" so that they will get "respect". I'm your friend not your enemy black man. To me I don't want to be entertainment for the "mainstream"....for them to sit back eating popcorn comparing how many black men in their city are killing each other. Not this brother! Sorry to dissapoint you "on lookers" in the stands. Rome all over again.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:46 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
nyc , chicago and l.a are perfectly planned cities with a lot of nice areas measuring out the bad. as long as your not in the bad areas of these 3 cities you are fine, and good to go.

cities like baltimore, gary , or camden are cities that are small in population and mostly poor with the bad areas making up most of the city.
Except Baltimore doesn't fit that description. Baltimore is a city of over 600,000 while Gary is at 100,000 and Camden at 80,000. Furthermore, Most of Baltimore isn't made up of bad impoverished areas.

Also, that first comment applys to just about every city. Perfectly planned? I don't think so.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Except Baltimore doesn't fit that description. Baltimore is a city of over 600,000 while Gary is at 100,000 and Camden at 80,000. Furthermore, Most of Baltimore isn't made up of bad impoverished areas.

Also, that first comment applys to just about every city. Perfectly planned? I don't think so.
perfectly planned as in they have more good areas then bad, and that the murder rate isnt so high, and that you can go to many places in the city that are not crime infested.

ive been to baltimore before its a major city with nice parts but a huge part of it is also very ghetto and dangerous.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
you can go to many places in the city that are not crime infested.
In other words, most cities?

Quote:
ive been to baltimore before its a major city with nice parts but a huge part of it is also very ghetto and dangerous.
There are more livable areas than ghetto ones, and that's fact. Most people think the city ends where the rowhouses begin to trail off, and that ignorance leads to them believing Baltimore is a whole lot smaller than it truly is.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
In other words, most cities?

There are more livable areas than ghetto ones, and that's fact. Most people think the city ends where the rowhouses begin to trail off, and that ignorance leads to them believing Baltimore is a whole lot smaller than it truly is.
you probably are right since you obviously are in the city more then me, and as for the first comment yes most cities, but not the cities that the humboltpark dude mentioned. their arent that many nice areas in gary or camden.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:25 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,868,836 times
miami dade is at 101 for the year, last year we had 98

Old 06-03-2010, 01:25 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
miami dade is at 101 for the year, last year we had 98
I am not in Miami right now, can you please tell me WTF is going on? Lol.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:33 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
huh... looking at this thread it looks like murders are going up everywhere. Whether it's just because of the recession remains to be seen.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:39 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I am not in Miami right now, can you please tell me WTF is going on? Lol.
Miami-Dade isn't Miami... it's the metro area..

I'm sure you know this, but most cities don't include their county or metro when talking about homicides.. it'd be a completely different story nation wide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City