Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 05:42 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,108,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I would be willing to wager if we did a poll on this forum about what region Oklahoma belongs in over 80 percent would think Midwest.
Funny you say that, because whenever what region Oklahoma belongs to comes up on here, most of the Oklahoma folks I see posting usually claim Oklahoma is Southern, to which those of who are from states and areas that are undisputedly Southern usually scratch our heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Dividing up the country into region is an art not a science. Of course good arguments can be made for different perspectives.
I totally agree.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 01-10-2016 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 05:45 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,627,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Most Midwesterners don't consider Oklahoma Midwestern. In some ways it is an orphan state without a region. I've always seen it as the mini Texas.
I went to school in Indiana in the mid 60's to early 70's and I always remember Oklahoma being grouped with the Midwestern States. Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma were all considered Midwestern States and Texas was grouped with the Southern States. Now, I do remember some maps that grouped Texas and Oklahoma in the Southwest, along with New Mexico and Arizona, and that always made sense to me. But I do not remember being taught Oklahoma was a part of Dixie. To me, Oklahoma feels more Midwestern, or Western, than it feels like the South.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:09 AM

563 posts, read 516,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Of course it's not. How is Oklahoma quintessentially Midwestern?
  • Not geographically in the Midwest
  • Southern accents
  • Cities shut down when it snows
  • Majority Southern Baptists
  • Extremely conservative
  • Sweet tea is popular and readily available
  • Completely devoid of hockey culture
  • Was allied with the Confederacy during the Civil War as Indian Territory
I don't agree with the some of this. My opinion of Oklahoma (and I've been there many, many times and my sister lived in Stillwater, Oklahoma for 5 years):

Geographically, it's not "southern".. It's in the lower part of the Midwest. But I'd say it's more Midwest geographically or perhaps southwest, but not "southern"..

Southern accents? Not really either. Many People (not all) in Oklahoma and north Texas who are native to the area have a distinct "drawl", but it's not a southern accent like you'd hear in Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi.. Not even close..

Also, it snows in Oklahoma! It's pretty common in the winter. And no, cities don't shut down when they get an inch or 2.. Atlanta is another story, lol. That city truly shuts down when they get 2 inches of the white frozen stuff- I've seen that with my own eyes..

Totally agree on your analysis that Oklahoma is very conservative..

My final take is that Oklahoma is not "southern".. It shares southwestern (north/west Texas) and Midwestern characteristics.. So I'd say it's more a "transitional" state. But it's not "the south" imo. Oklahoma City reminds me of a much larger Amarillo, Texas than it does a Birmingham, AL or even Memphis Tennessee..

My .02 cents anyway..

Peace...

Old 01-17-2016, 08:04 PM

135 posts, read 149,572 times
Buffalo:

Always snowing
Losing sports teams
Chicken wings

Old 01-18-2016, 12:50 AM

563 posts, read 516,515 times
Omaha misconceptions:

*It's FLAT. (Wrong. It's very hilly)..
*It's all cornfields. (Lol)..
*No diversity. (Lol. Omaha is a melting pot. It's racial/ethnic diversity reflects that of the good 'ol USA)..
*It's a small town (Umm no. It's a growing metro bearing down on 1 million. 60th largest in the US. Not large, but definitely not small either)..
*Covered wagons and dirt roads. (We just got running water through plumbing and electricity too, lol)..
*It's in Oklahoma (Again- Umm no. But if it was, it would be the most progressive city, by far, in that state)..
*It's devoid of culture (Lol. See bullet points 1 through 6 and educate yourselves)..
*It's a meat and potatoes town (Sure, beef is big here.. But so is French, African, Indian, Japansese, etc. Omaha has a renowned and diverse restaurant scene)..
*There is no nightlife (While it's no entertainment Shangra la.. It's not absent of things to do. Very good music scene, a vibrant and growing micro brewing pub scene and bars actually open until 2AM etc)..

What we have in Omaha, is a very underrated city/metro..

Peace...

Old 01-18-2016, 04:41 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,534,529 times
Moscow:
People are rude, dull, and have no sense of humor-Actually I've met some of the friendliest and most helpful people here in Moscow. It helps to speak at least a little Russian, though. Russian culture is also pretty festive and unpretentious. People here often go well out of their way to be helpful.

The city is dull and grey and nobody enjoys living here
-I had a certain expectation of Moscow before I got here that it was an austere, challenging, and dismal place. But it's actually one of the most colorful and vibrant cities I've ever been in. The Christmas festival is by far the largest I've been to. And summer is one festival after another.

The "sleeping districts(suburbs)" are monotonous and drab but the old Russian architecture is beautiful and there's a lot of green space. There's also lots of civic improvement projects such as a new Metro loop and bike lanes in progress. We'll see what happens with slumping oil prices, etc. but It's nice to see how much work is being put into making the city better.

Everyone is drunk all the time-Without a doubt, Russians like their alcohol but the liquor laws are stronger here than they are in my Bible Belt hometown now. Now you're more likely to find Russian men savoring craft beer than guzzling vodka.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:02 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,384,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog79 View Post
Stereotypes of every city:
NYC: Everyone here is rude. A lot of Italians, Puerto Ricans, Jews, etc.
L.A.: Main industry is Hollywood and Glamour
Chicago: Hard Workers, Good Pizza, Projects, Corrupt
Houston: Everyone here is Fat.
Philadelphia: Gritty
Phoenix: Tons of Anti-Immigration supporters
San Antonio: Little Monterrey.
San Diego: Laid Back Mexican beach bums.
Dallas: Corporate Soulless White People and Mexicans. Texan Stereotype mania.
San Jose: Coffee Drinking Computer Nerds.
Austin: Texican San Francisco/Portland
Jacksonville: This is the biggest city in Florida?
Indianapolis: White People obsessed in Race cars and Basketball.
San Francisco: Tons of Hipsters and Asian People
Columbus: Who Cares about this city?
Charlotte: Still Racist to this day.
Fort Worth: Basically Dallas but with more Cowboys.
Detroit: Thugs, Crime, Serial Rapists, and Car Manufacturers.
El Paso: Peaceful Ciudad Juarez
Memphis: BBQ and Black People
Seattle: Coffee sipping hipsters who love the rain and listen to Alternative. Microsoft.
Denver: Pot Smoking Ski Bums.
Washington D.C.: Politics and Corruption.
Boston: College Town (with extra Irish Drunkards)
Nashville: White People Music
Baltimore: Riot Town, The Wire
Oklahoma City: Windy with Native Americans.
Louisville: Where South meets Midwest. KFC!
Portland: Weird Hipsters and Purple Haze. Environmental Elitists.
Las Vegas: Gambling and Crime every day.
Lol priceless

Old 01-18-2016, 12:20 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,384,794 times
Rio de Janeiro:

What people think:
Friendly, gorgeous people, doing the samba all year long
Truth:
People are either scared because of high crime, of full of themselves because they live in Rio.So, Cariocas are not known to be friendly. Most hot girls in Rio are models from the south and other parts of Brazil that are in Rio doing Acting and or/ modeling jobs. So for the most part you won't be blown away (as far as the ladies)

What people think:
Rio is one of the most beautiful cities.
Truth:
Yes Rio's setting is hard to match but the city itself really lacks in term of appearance...Rio the city is not that beautiful. It's dirty and uninteresting( from an architectural point of view).

What people think:
Rio is crime ridden.
Truth:
It's worse than people think.

What people think:
Beaches....
Truth:
Copacabana, Ipanema are really average at most compared to other beaches in brazil. The beaches in Rio( i am talking about the ones within easy access from the city) are dirty and overcrowded.

What people think:
I am gonna get laid
Truth:
If you are a rich European or American yes....for the average Brazilian, girls are not that easy. ( carnaval doesn't count)

What people think:
In Rio people talk about sex, soccer and Rio
Truth:
Yes , that's all they are interested in talking about.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:42 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,972,931 times
Phoenix: its all brown and dusty.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:21 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,431,731 times
From what I've heard of St. Louis

Crime Ridden and Dangerous; this is partially true
Obsessed with Cardinals Baseball; also partially true
Only Black People Live There
Only Hicks Live There
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City