Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:09 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
This particular video tells the true story of Columbus ... as witnessed and experienced by individuals who don't even reside here.
It's a terrific video that showcases a truly fantastic metropolis!
Metropolis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Metropolis?

Yes, Columbus IS a "metropolis" ... it's certainly not Mayberry! LOL
It's pretty clear by going to "dictionary.com" and looking up the reference
for the term ... it even mentions "metropolis" as "pertaining to a capital city".
If the shoe fits ... wear it!

Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
The video on Charlotte is nice ... but it needs to be more detailed to get across the message!
With 55,000 newcomers per year, I don't think Charlotte needs to "get across the message".
Quote:
Yes, Columbus IS a "metropolis" ... it's certainly not Mayberry! LOL
It's pretty clear by going to "dictionary.com" and looking up the reference
for the term ... it even mentions "metropolis" as "pertaining to a capital city".
If the shoe fits ... wear it!
Columbus IS a "metropolis" in Ohio just like Charlotte is a "metropolis" in North Carolina. However, neither city can claim to be a Metropolis on a National nor Worldwide stage. Don't confuse a regional metropolis with that of a National one. They are different ya know. Besides, there are a couple of things one can do in Charlotte that one can not do in Columbus. With that said, if you think Columbus is a true metropolis, then you must also think that Charlotte is a bigger metropolis.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 02-04-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
With 55,000 newcomers per year, I don't think Charlotte needs to "get across the message".

Columbus IS a "metropolis" in Ohio just like Charlotte is a "metropolis" in North Carolina. However, neither city can claim to be a Metropolis on a National or Worldwide stage. Don't confuse a regional metropolis with that of a National one. They are different ya know. Besides, there are a couple of things one can do in Charlotte that one can not do in Columbus. With that said, if you think Columbus is a true metropolis, then you must also think that Charlotte is a bigger metropolis.
Ummmmmmmmm ... the comment about "getting the message across" was strictly pertaining to the video that was produced by the tourism bureau in Charlotte ... and ONLY THE VIDEO!

HMmmmmmmmmm ... I never suggested that Columbus was a metropolis on a "worldwide scale", as you put it ... I'm not certain why that was ever brought up at all?
Columbus IS a metropolis on a national scale though ... and no longer on just a regional scale.
Yes, Columbus is a larger metropolis than Charlotte, as specifically defined by the exact term in the dictionary.
The term "metropolis pertains to "a city alone" and "not" an accompanying or surrounding area. ( suburbs )

Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
You're so right, KingChef! I live in Columbus ... upon relocating here, I discovered a surprisingly clean, vibrant and a very hip capital city.
I used to think that there was nothing in Ohio ... outside of my beloved
Cleveland ...
I was dead wrong though!
Columbus is a lovely city and it offers many amenities that some much larger cities cannot even offer.

I'm very happy to call Columbus my home.
I'm just curious here. What do you feel Columbus can offer that some much larger cities cant? Not picking on you, I grew up in Columbus.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I'm just curious here. What do you feel Columbus can offer that some much larger cities cant? Not picking on you, I grew up in Columbus.
Columbus offers an excellent quality of life with a very minimal cost of living ... something that most of "Americas HOTT cities" cannot proclaim. Columbus has an excellent cultural scene, close proximity to Cleveland, Cincinnati and Chicago ... and the offerings of those aforementioned cities.
It truly is vastly underrated by many ... until they come here.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The term "metropolis pertains to "a city alone" and "not" an accompanying or surrounding area. ( suburbs )
By this definition, Columbus is Ohio's largest metropolis!

Columbus
754,885 in city and 1,982,252 in metro
Quote:
Ohio's state capital and largest city, Columbus is located on the Scioto River near the center of the state. To the north of Downtown is http://www.emporis.com/files/status/building/green.gif (broken link) The Ohio State University, the second-largest in the United States. To the south is German Village, a handsomely restored landmark district of 19th-Century shops and homes. Small parts of the city extend into adjacent Delaware (north) and Fairfield (east) counties.
Columbus, U.S.A. | Emporis.com

Charlotte
687,456 in city and 2,338,289 in metro
Quote:
Charlotte is the metropolis of the Carolinas. Located in the south-central part of the state in the Piedmont, near the South Carolina border, it is a center of finance, transportation, wholesale distribution, and manufacturing.

Charlotte was founded by Scoth-Irish and German settlers around 1750, naming their community for Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, the wife of King George III. Presidents Andrew Jackson and James K. Polk were born nearby. Before 1849, the area led the nation in gold production. The last full Confederate cabinet meeting was held here April 10, 1865, approving terms of surrender.

Growth came with the coming of the railroad and the development of industry in the early 1900's. The southern Piedmont became the nation's leading textile center, contributing to Charlotte's growth into a major trucking center. By the 1930 census, it had surpassed http://www.emporis.com/files/flags/country/xsmall/100185.gif (broken link) Winston-Salem as the state's largest city, which it has remained ever since.

Many new skyscrapers have been built in the last decade and several projects are under construction or in the planning stages.
Charlotte, U.S.A. | Emporis.com

Old 02-04-2010, 11:38 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
I completely agree ... I believe that the tourism bureau in Charlotte could have produced a far better informational video showcasing the city.
Already, I can see that the video that pertains to COLUMBUS ... has opened up eyes and has effectively informed many of just how pleasant a city that Columbus truly is ... shattering ill founded misperceptions.
The video on Charlotte is nice ... but it needs to be more detailed to get across the message!
This is the point I was trying to communicate. I'm glad it got out. The advertising committee in Charlotte should really focus on our unique neighborhoods like NoDa, University City, Plaza-Midwood, Ballantyne, Dilworth, and Myers Park to name a few. Also, it would be nice if these communities could create more local festivals, carnivals, and block parties. I remember we used to have them back in the day.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:45 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Yes, festivals make a vibrant city. Columbus has tons of street festivals all throughout the warmer months. And the fireworks display "Red, White and Boom" is an amazing experience. Each month the Short North has the Gallery Hop which I always enjoyed when I lived there. Charlotte, is a very attractive city but is bland when it comes to having that "city" feel, Columbus definitely has much more of an urban city feel to it with all the different neighborhoods around downtown and all the different festivals.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Yes, festivals make a vibrant city. Columbus has tons of street festivals all throughout the warmer months. And the fireworks display "Red, White and Boom" is an amazing experience. Each month the Short North has the Gallery Hop which I always enjoyed when I lived there. Charlotte, is a very attractive city but is bland when it comes to having that "city" feel, Columbus definitely has much more of an urban city feel to it with all the different neighborhoods around downtown and all the different festivals.
Experiences create knowledge ... I could not agree with you more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City