Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: A city that holds infinite promise?
Columbus 77 52.38%
Charlotte 70 47.62%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:46 PM

21 posts, read 55,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Whenever you come to Charlotte let me know so I can tell you some spots you need to checkout.

And on that note, does Columbus have a theme park? I know Charlotte has Carrowinds, just wondering.
Thank you!

Columbus doesn't have have much a of theme park, but it is based out of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. There are some small rides, but nothing that is really all that thrilling. There is a waterpark within as well called Zoombezi bay. There is some thrill factor in that part for sure, and is some what of a full days attraction(especially having the zoo right next to you). Check out their site to get a glimpse.. it is fun!

Aside from that, we do have the state fair, and other area fairs that give some decent rides. I would have to assume that Charlotte has a lot of this as well.

Question for you: I have done minimal research on it, but does Charlotte have a zoo? I couldn't really find anything from a google search, and have scoped out the map of the area.

Im hoping to get down that way sometime in either June or July, and would love to have some info on the hotspots.

-Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 10:07 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
I think Concord has a fair, and Rock Hill has a fair, but neither are particularly large. Most people will either go to the NC State Fair in Raleigh or the SC State Fair in Columbia, which is smaller than the one in Raleigh but closer.

Charlotte doesn't have a zoo. Most people either head south to Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia or north to the NC Zoo in Asheboro.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:57 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthemoment View Post
Thank you!

Columbus doesn't have have much a of theme park, but it is based out of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. There are some small rides, but nothing that is really all that thrilling. There is a waterpark within as well called Zoombezi bay. There is some thrill factor in that part for sure, and is some what of a full days attraction(especially having the zoo right next to you). Check out their site to get a glimpse.. it is fun!

-Ben
Columbus has the distinction of having the #1 ranked ZOO in the entire United States.
It's a hugely popular park and has an impressive aquarium too.
Check it out at:

Columbus Zoo and Aquarium » What Would You Like To Explore Today?

Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 PM

Here's an impressive aerial of Columbus, looking in a southwest direction towards the city centre.
Freeways that are visible include I-71 ( North & South ) and I-670 ( East & West ) that funnels traffic from the airport and the I-270 outerbelt to the city centre.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:12 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
I chose Charlotte but don't have any knowledge to compare it with Columbus. It just seems that Charlotte gets lots of attention on the forum & looks like it is becoming a major American city. Also, Charlotte has the Bobcats\ NBA basketball & are going to the playoffs.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I chose Charlotte but don't have any knowledge to compare it with Columbus. It just seems that Charlotte gets lots of attention on the forum & looks like it is becoming a major American city. Also, Charlotte has the Bobcats\ NBA basketball & are going to the playoffs.
Despite the problems created by the banking demise in Charlotte, and the high unemployment that has resulted from this recession, I see Charlotte as a city that is most definitely poised to recover over a period of time.
Columbus, due to it's very diversified economy has fared much better off during this recession.
Charlotte is a major league city, whereas Columbus doesn't have any of the big major league franchises ( NFL & NBA ), and this is most likely due to the dominating presence of Ohio State University and their acclaimed sports programs. Both Cleveland and Cincinnatti already represent the big major league teams in the state.
Columbus does have NHL hockey ( Columbus Blue Jackets ), an extension baseball team of the Cleveland Indians and a soccer team.
Columbus does have incredible urban neighborhoods & districts, a city centre that is experiencing rapid redevelopment and a great mixture of cultural venues and offerings.
Columbus does not have as much recognition as Charlotte does, however as this city continues to flourish and expand, I believe that in time that will most likely change.

You can find out more at:

Columbus, Ohio Travel Guide - Hotels, Attractions, Dining

Old 04-20-2010, 12:11 PM

Just wanted to share this inspiring aerial of Columbus ...

Old 04-20-2010, 01:16 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times
I think we need some Charlotte pics too.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
I think we need some Charlotte pics too.

I agree, Beavercreek. Where are all of those loyal "Charlotteans" hiding at??
Let's see more participation and photos from those who embrace Charlotte.

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 04-20-2010 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: x

Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Just wanted to share this inspiring aerial of Columbus ...

I like that shot. I didn't know that Columbus had another cluster kind of off to itself away from the main concentration of towers. That's really not depicted in the typical on-the-ground shots.

The only thing about Charlotte skyline shots is that these days, they seem to get outdated really quickly. But here's a recent aerial:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3413/...c2a06cc7_o.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City