Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you rather live in?
NYC 60 61.22%
Washington D.C. 38 38.78%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Having been to both cities a number of times, I agree

Would rather live in DC for jobs, nightlife and everything else as well
As far as women, It's kind of a tie. DC has some beautiful women up there. Consider DC as a mini NY but on the government side of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:36 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
i promise you dc doesn't have something like washington heights or east harlem where we have more dominicans/puerto ricans than those respective countries' capitals. if you like latinas, nyc is the place for you, particularly in the summer time...

just thought i'd throw that out there. nothing like being in the middle of the crowd during the dr/pr day parade being surrounded by beautiful, voluptous, scantily clad (and/or wearing tight clothing) women.

i mean we have other ethnicities, etc. but yeah...just thought i'd throw that out there lol.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:38 AM

244 posts, read 625,725 times
Wow 20:20 even split huh...

Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
1. Cost of living: Both are expensive

2. Job opportunities: Both are great for jobs

3. Diversity ( I mean people from many different countries - not race): NYC of course

4. Women (ease of hooking up, dating, prettiness): NYC of course. No ladies can be compared to the NYC ladies.

5. Things to do: NYC wins easily. NYC is 24 hours, and there are so many types of things to do.

6. Nightlife: NYC of course. Clubs closes at 5am.

7. Public Transporation: The DC Metro is good. Howver, NYC transportation is even better. There are Taxis everywhere, Public Buses everywhere etc..

8. Future growth: NYC will grow more than DC in large numbers. NYC is the largest city of the US as of right now and it's still growing.

9. Finally, whcih city would you rather live in?: NYC of course. No city can be compared to NYC

Old 01-19-2010, 02:23 PM

244 posts, read 625,725 times
LOL still a tie....

Old 01-19-2010, 05:39 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i promise you dc doesn't have something like washington heights or east harlem where we have more dominicans/puerto ricans than those respective countries' capitals.
Actually DC has a large Carri-bean and Latin american population. If I would compare East Harlem to a DC neighborhood it would be Mt. Pleasant/Columbia Heights and Washington Heights would be Petworth. But thats just DC proper. If I would include the suburbs in MD and NoVa then DC would win this hands down.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:43 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Actually DC has a large Carri-bean and Latin american population. If I would compare East Harlem to a DC neighborhood it would be Mt. Pleasant/Columbia Heights and Washington Heights would be Petworth. But thats just DC proper. If I would include the suburbs in MD and NoVa then DC would win this hands down.
Washington DC would beat New York City hands down in terms of what? Diversity? Neighborhoods? In both cases, I would think New York is clearly superior.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:49 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,137 times
1. Cost of living - Washington DC
2. Job opportunities - Tie
3. Diversity ( I mean people from many different countries - not race) - NYC
4. Women (ease of hooking up, dating, prettiness) - Tie
5. Things to do - Tie
6. Nightlife - slight edge to NYC
7. Public Transporation - Tie (for me anyways)
8. Future growth - slight edge to Washington DC
9. Finally, whcih city would you rather live in? - Washington DC (suburbs though)

Old 01-19-2010, 09:17 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N130 View Post
1. Cost of living - Washington DC
2. Job opportunities - Tie
3. Diversity ( I mean people from many different countries - not race) - NYC
4. Women (ease of hooking up, dating, prettiness) - Tie
5. Things to do - Tie
6. Nightlife - slight edge to NYC
7. Public Transporation - Tie (for me anyways)
8. Future growth - slight edge to Washington DC
9. Finally, whcih city would you rather live in? - Washington DC (suburbs though)
Great minds think alike.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:05 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
queens alone has more diversity than dc's metro area combined, iirc. queens has the most diversity in the country.

you also cannot compare a dc neighborhood to east harlem on washington heights. again, there are more puerto ricans living in nyc than in san juan and more dominicans living in nyc than in santo domingo.

nyc is clearly more diverse, again, given queens alone. when you add on the other boroughs its not a close match at all.

nyc is more diverse than your entire metro area. the thing is you felt the need to tack on your metro area when its a discussion about dc. that says a lot about dc. nyc doesn't have to do that...

no hate or anything towards dc. its a nice city. it has nice diversity. it just isn't on the level of nyc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City