Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,772,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Ilived in West Virginia for over 4 years and loved it. (Some people may not consider West Virginia a southern state)

People are born a certain race or sexual orientation (even though there are some that would argue that point, and this is not the forum to do it) You don't slur a person about something they have no control over.

Rednecks are like Guidos and Wiggers. Its a totally learned condition (heavily influenced buy environment, family and friends) that you can change.

So I have no problem calling someone a Redneck, Guido or Wigger
the aforementioned 'n word' is also a characteristic that people can change; it is not synonymous with 'black'. that doesn't make it socially OK to call people that. if you call the wrong person a redneck you might get your throat cut, same as that other slur.

the point is that anybody who uses the word 'redneck' the way you do will probably be branded a yuppie, for better or worse. if they are from out of town, they will be a transplant yuppie. from what I have observed, transplant yuppies typically only hang out with other transplant yuppies, and they all get together on weekends and talk about how much better it would be to live in a big city, or start a petition to get a trader joe's to come to town.

so beware, they might put you in a glass case in a museum, with the words "Archetype of the Liberal Transplant Yuppie, 2010" underneath. The good news is, many have come before you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM

396 posts, read 655,145 times
Quote:
I wasn't serious, but I still have no idea what a "fundie" is

Quick deductive reasoning and context leads one to believe “fundie” is short for fundamentalist.

By quick scan of your posts sounds like you had your mind made up about the Midwest before arriving, its difficult for people to break their own programing, its sad when then can not recognize this flaw in themselves

7 months… 1,125 posts on this site alone… Getting out more would have helped you...just saying

Good luck in NC

Old 02-19-2010, 11:41 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,027,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the aforementioned 'n word' is also a characteristic that people can change; it is not synonymous with 'black'. that doesn't make it socially OK to call people that. if you call the wrong person a redneck you might get your throat cut, same as that other slur.

the point is that anybody who uses the word 'redneck' the way you do will probably be branded a yuppie, for better or worse. if they are from out of town, they will be a transplant yuppie. from what I have observed, transplant yuppies typically only hang out with other transplant yuppies, and they all get together on weekends and talk about how much better it would be to live in a big city, or start a petition to get a trader joe's to come to town.

so beware, they might put you in a glass case in a museum, with the words "Archetype of the Liberal Transplant Yuppie, 2010" underneath. The good news is, many have come before you.
People still use the word yuppie? And do you really think I am afraid of rednecks? Just because I am a liberal, it doesn't mean that I can't easily take care of myself. I'm not worried about some dumbarse redneck getting his feelings hurt and wanting to start a fight.

And whats wrong with Trader Joe's? Contrary to redneck opinion, it is not a health food store. Its just a small grocery store with good products at very cheap prices. Its your loss if you have never been in one.

Fortunately on my visits to Wilmington or Myrtle Beach, I have never really run into oo many dumbarse rednecks and tht is whay I am considering the area. The Bubba culture in Missouri was apparent from day one. I never picked up on in in the Coastal Carolinas.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
People still use the word yuppie?
I can see how they wouldn't call you that to your face.

Quote:
And do you really think I am afraid of rednecks?
probably not behind the safety of your keyboard, no.

i'm not afraid of polar bears because i don't live in the arctic.

some people aren't afraid of hurricanes, either, until their house blows away.

Quote:
Just because I am a liberal, it doesn't mean that I can't easily take care of myself. I'm not worried about some dumbarse redneck getting his feelings hurt and wanting to start a fight.
a more likely scenario than a fight, would be that you'd ostracize yourself among any normal person, by coming across as arrogant.

Quote:
And whats wrong with Trader Joe's?
nothing. i was testing to see how accurate my stereotypes were. california is not subject to too many stereotypes here, but one of them is that californians are nonstop complainers. pining for a trader joe's is a classic obnoxious transplant activity.

Quote:
Contrary to redneck opinion, it is not a health food store. Its just a small grocery store with good products at very cheap prices. Its your loss if you have never been in one.
see?

Old 02-19-2010, 01:53 PM

I'm pretty sure that you don't represent the majority of Wilmingtonians.

If you ever met me I would never be mistaken for a yuppie. I was a punk rocker back in the day, and yuppies were a source of derision.

Since I was able to take down a cop (he was a friend of mine), and managed to get through three rounds with Mick Foley (the wrestler, another friend) I honestly think I can fend for myself pretty well. It may please you that I took down a mime, too.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:34 PM

572 posts, read 1,997,826 times
And I'm pretty sure that you don't represent the majority of transplants in St. Louis. It's just your small circle of experience. Mine is totally different.

And I'm pretty sure that your stereotypes of St. Louis also do not represent the majority of it's residents. I for one am not a redneck and that's okay.

And I'm pretty sure stating how tough one is doesn't represent how tough they are. What does that have to do with any of this??

Old 02-19-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that you don't represent the majority of Wilmingtonians.
oh? why is that?

Old 02-19-2010, 02:50 PM

I am surrounded by rednecks out in this neck of St. Charles county. I'm not too crazy about it, but I still live in a relatively redneck free community. I'm not saying all St. Louisians are rednecks, but there is an underlying redneck culture here.

Only thing about toughness was calling me out on it. I just told him I am not afraid of rednecks and gave him some references. Do I like to get in fights, or pick them? Hell no! But will I defend myself when all else fails? Yep.

And since most of my friends are also transplant, we tend the same point of view. (And they are not all from CA - many are from WA, MI, Ohio, NY, CT , NJ and PA. Three families have already gone back where the came from.

And am I happy that there are trader joes her. Damn right. Do I go pining for them, nope.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
oh? why is that?
Because the people I met seem smart.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:59 PM

572 posts, read 1,997,826 times
Well If I was Leroy (that's hows we spells it here) And we was havin' a heated decussion and you says that to me...I would take my long neck bottle of Busch and see how you would be defendin' yourself.

Uncalled for Dins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City