Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,002,301 times

Advertisements

I hate Saint Louis and I am starting to look around for other places to live. Ideally I would go back to Southern California, but have visited the coastal carolinas a few times and have really liked it there.

I need to get away from the geographic blandness and narrow-minded and parochial mentality that is so pervasive to this area. I want to make sure that if I do relocate, I'm not not moving to a similar area.

I don't like rednecks and I don't really care for holier than thou religious-types (usually one and the same)

I need honest opinions and no turd-polishing.

There really seems to be an anti-California bias in Metro Saint Louis / Missouri. Does this exist in Coastal Carolina?

I am originally form NY, and still have a slight accent. How kind are these cities to "Yankees".

Ideally I am looking at beach towns. No more than 5 miles inland, or near a water way that leads to the ocean or a bay. What are the "nice" neighborhoods, cities, villages? Average home prices?

This time I plan on renting before buying a home. What are the rent prices for a nice 2 bedroom townhouse?

I plan on getting getting a boat, what are slip fees? nice marinas? and boater friendly / Beach towns? (think Newport Beach, Annapolis)

Where are the rednecks? (where should I stay away from)

Do religious nuts run the show?

What is the weather like year round? Are summers too humid?

What is the job market for Creative Professionals? Registered Nurses? (I am an Art Director. My wife is a nurse)

I really don't care if an area is conservative or liberal since I manage to get along with most people as long as there is an intelligent thought process going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:10 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,408 times
Ahh, finally moving I see... Thank God, the constant whining will finally leave the St. Louis forum.
Anyway, I think somewhere in Virginia or North Carolina would be nice for you.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:52 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Wilmington and Myrtle Beach are quite secular.

As far as the "Rednecks" go, there are plenty.

I seriously, seriously doubt you'd fit in well here or in MB, and not for the reasons you'd probably think.

Last edited by le roi; 02-17-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 03:00 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I hate Saint Louis and I am starting to look around for other places to live. Ideally I would go back to Southern California, but have visited the coastal carolinas a few times and have really liked it there.

I need to get away from the geographic blandness and narrow-minded and parochial mentality that is so pervasive to this area. I want to make sure that if I do relocate, I'm not not moving to a similar area.

I don't like rednecks and I don't really care for holier than thou religious-types (usually one and the same)

I need honest opinions and no turd-polishing.

There really seems to be an anti-California bias in Metro Saint Louis / Missouri. Does this exist in Coastal Carolina?

I am originally form NY, and still have a slight accent. How kind are these cities to "Yankees".

Ideally I am looking at beach towns. No more than 5 miles inland, or near a water way that leads to the ocean or a bay. What are the "nice" neighborhoods, cities, villages? Average home prices?

This time I plan on renting before buying a home. What are the rent prices for a nice 2 bedroom townhouse?

I plan on getting getting a boat, what are slip fees? nice marinas? and boater friendly / Beach towns? (think Newport Beach, Annapolis)

Where are the rednecks? (where should I stay away from)

Do religious nuts run the show?

What is the weather like year round? Are summers too humid?

What is the job market for Creative Professionals? Registered Nurses? (I am an Art Director. My wife is a nurse)

I really don't care if an area is conservative or liberal since I manage to get along with most people as long as there is an intelligent thought process going on.
I guess to choose between Wilmington and Myrtle I would say Wilmington based on your criteria.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:44 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,799 times
Based on your posts over on the St Louis forum, I think you need to head back to Cali. My wife has a lot of family in St Louis, so I get what you mean about the people's attitudes. We were in a Dierbergs in Chesterfield once and were making small talk with the cashier. When I mentioned being from New England the "hoosier" really came out in her. I like visiting, but would never live there.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Based on your posts over on the St Louis forum, I think you need to head back to Cali. My wife has a lot of family in St Louis, so I get what you mean about the people's attitudes. We were in a Dierbergs in Chesterfield once and were making small talk with the cashier. When I mentioned being from New England the "hoosier" really came out in her. I like visiting, but would never live there.
Chesterfield is not St. Louis, in fact, it is 20 miles from being St. Louis. I bet you can't name five cities that don't get a little "hoosier" 20 miles from city limits.
Wait, I thought Californians were supposed to be open-minded...

Old 02-17-2010, 07:11 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,266,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Chesterfield is not St. Louis, in fact, it is 20 miles from being St. Louis. I bet you can't name five cities that don't get a little "hoosier" 20 miles from city limits.
Wait, I thought Californians were supposed to be open-minded...
Thanks for proving to everyone what I meant about that St Louis attitude.
Chesterfield isn't St Louis? It's St Louis county, so to say it isn't "St Louis" because it isn't in St Louis city is just plain silly.
I'm not from California and don't claim to be "open-minded", whatever that means.

p.s. You people should really stop using the term "hoosier". I makes you sound, well, stupid.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:58 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,657 times
Anti-California bias in St. Louis? I don't think most people in St. Louis even give California a thought and I'm positive most Californians never even consider us. Chesterfield is a right wing suburb about 20 miles from St. Louis City, but its hardly representative of a metropolitan area of nearly 3 million people. I hate when people have one bad experience and then right an area off. Do you people do your research before you move? If your a liberal from the coasts don't move to a far flung community with "traditional values" move to the urban core.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
Thanks for proving to everyone what I meant about that St Louis attitude.
Chesterfield isn't St Louis? It's St Louis county, so to say it isn't "St Louis" because it isn't in St Louis city is just plain silly.
I'm not from California and don't claim to be "open-minded", whatever that means.

p.s. You people should really stop using the term "hoosier". I makes you sound, well, stupid.
Goat314 stated it fairly well.
And...
Frankly, I have lived in St. Louis for 16 years, and not once have I ever heard anyone use the term "hoosier".
And so what, there are people in the St. Louis metropolitan area who you may not identify with, but those people don't represent all of the 2.8 million people who call the area home.

P.S. I was referring to Dinsdale when referencing the California persona.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:29 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times
Dinsdale, based on your posts, it seems like you didn't really make any effort to like St. Louis. You simply labeled all residents the same way and decided that you needed to get out. It's certainly your right to go somewhere else. I won't stop you. But I get the feeling from your posts that you don't want to like St. Louis. You just like having something to complain about.

I do hear some California jokes where I live (southeast Missouri), but most people wouldn't treat you any different. I also hear jokes about the French, the Canadians, and Arkansas. But I don't think anybody treats them any different, although a French person would stand out based on the accent. But that's just the way small towns are. I can't speak for St. Louis, though.

Perhaps you get treated differently because you are so negative all the time. Your attitude when meeting people makes a huge difference in how they treat you. If you act superior to them, they're not gonna go out of their way to be nice to you.

I think St. Louisans are friendly overall, but they, like most people, don't like other people who act more intelligent or more superior. Attitude is everything. I do have to say, Chesterfield is not necessarily representative of the whole city. There are a wide variety of city neighborhoods and inner- and outer- ring suburbs. It's hard to say accurate things about the whole metro area unless you have been all over it, I think. I try not to generalize things about St. Louis (I did say St. Louisans are friendly overall, but that's just been my experience. I've only been to a few parts of St. Louis). You might say, "From my experience," but to generalize all St. Louis based on your experience in one suburb (or a few parts of the metro area) is unfair.

And rednecks, in my experience, are kind, caring people. They don't always have college degrees, but they are intelligent. They probably know as much as you do, but not necessarily in academics. I would much rather spend the day surrounded by rednecks than with people who think they are superior because they have college degrees (and I am in college, so I'm not knocking it, but sometimes it gets to people's heads) and make more money than me.

In my experience, St. Louis are friendly, but they don't have unlimited patience, and they're not going to listen to you if you act like you're better than them. An air of superiority is annoying anywhere.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 02-17-2010 at 10:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City