Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 08:31 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Cool, very interesting

How does Cedar Hill compare with DeSoto?
Cedar Hill and DeSoto are a part of this middle class, predominately Black area of the DFW metro area: Best Southwest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Carson CA is like Windsor in regards to Blacks having a higher median household income than non Hispanic Whites: Carson, CA Income and Careers This can be found at different levels as well, as many of the Upstate NY census block groups mentioned in the thread are like this as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-26-2013 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 09:53 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
Quote:
Cool, very interesting

How does Cedar Hill compare with DeSoto?
Very similar actually, but in representing DFW, I would have to give Cedar Hill a slight edge. Like another poster just said, they are both part of the Best Southwest predominantly middle to upper middle class AA communities. Right now, there are four. I would have to say Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville and Lancaster in that order, although many people might disagree with me. With that said, they are all safe, and very clean communities to raise a family. Cedar Hill Collegiate High is one of the best schools in that state of Texas, and is about 75% AA. It regularly produces elite university grads with the best of them. I see this area expanding in the future to towns like Mansfield, Midlothian and Red Oak. Maybe some DFW folks can join in here.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 PM

643 posts, read 1,018,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Sandstone Shorees in Southwest Dekalb(Lithonia)

Lithonia looks nice but its less than 2k for the town/hamlet/village.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:59 AM

Lakeview, NY on Long Island would fit much of the criteria: Lakeview, NY

https://maps.gstatic.com/m/streetvie...976445584,,0,0

Lakeview, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-27-2013, 11:17 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yes, Lakeview is great. I grew up 2 towns away from there.

They're also building a new housing subdivision somewhere over there.

However, occasionally (every 5 or 6 months or so); some kid usually gets themselves in trouble by doing some stupid criminal crap and ends up getting news coverage painting the town in a bad light. But I still always viewed it as a very stable community and there is definitely much more good than bad there.

There is an LIRR stop called Lakeview but it actually isn't even in Lakeview, it's in a neighboring town. Sometimes stupid crap happens there and news reporters call it Lakeview when that is incorrect, which is really unfair.

I think it's great for somebody who has to work in the city but wants good schools without living too deep on Long Island. If I was in a position to buy and wanted to stay in NY then I would definitely consider there.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 12-27-2013 at 11:40 AM..

Old 12-27-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Yes, Lakeview is great. I grew up 2 towns away from there.

They're also building a new housing subdivision somewhere over there.

However, occasionally (every 5 or 6 months or so); some kid usually gets themselves in trouble by doing some stupid criminal crap. But I still always viewed it as a very stable community and there is definitely much more good than bad there.

There is an LIRR stop called Lakeview but it actually isn't even in Lakeview, it's in a neighboring town. Sometimes stupid crap happens there and news reporters call it Lakeview when that is incorrect, which is really unfair.

I think it's great for somebody who has to work in the city but wants good schools without living too deep on Long Island. If I was in a position to buy and wanted to stay in NY then I would definitely consider there.
Yeah, if I were to move to Long Island, I would consider it too. Baldwin would be another place I would consider, along with Wheatley Heights, Deer Park, West Hempstead and Valley Stream, among maybe some others.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Yeah, if I were to move to Long Island, I would consider it too. Baldwin would be another place I would consider, along with Wheatley Heights, Deer Park, West Hempstead and Valley Stream, among maybe some others.
cool, i'm originally from N. Valley Stream.

i'm not that familiar w/baldwin or deer park. I've been to Wheatley Hts twice and in my opinion, its the best diverse area on LI. Its really the only very diverse area on LI that im familiar with that has an upscale type of vibe (though not as rich as Dix Hill). Lakeview and VS are good but they feel very middle class'ish (which is not a bad thing).

Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
cool, i'm originally from N. Valley Stream.

i'm not that familiar w/baldwin or deer park. I've been to Wheatley Hts twice and in my opinion, its the best diverse area on LI. Its really the only very diverse area on LI that im familiar with that has an upscale type of vibe (though not as rich as Dix Hill). Lakeview and VS are good but they feel very middle class'ish (which is not a bad thing).
How's Elmont? Is it more like VS or does it have a different vibe?

Old 12-27-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
How's Elmont? Is it more like VS or does it have a different vibe?
They're pretty similar IMO. Even though they're both very diverse, VS has a larger white/Italian/Jewish presence than Elmont. Elmont is majority Caribbean. Both VS and Elmont, as well as almost the entire Nassau side of the border have seen big influxes of South Asians.

1. North Valley Stream is a lot like Elmont except a little nicer.

2. Central Valley Stream is where the mall, LIRR stop and all the shopping is at. I think it's a great place for singles of every ethnicity. This part of VS attracts some riff-raff since a lot of NYC come there to shop. Has the smallest homes in VS.

3. South Valley Stream is the whitest part of VS. Still very diverse, has a lot of Jews. Very similar to Woodmere, Cedarhurst, Lawrence and Hewlett; except more diverse.

With Elmont, usually the more south you go, the nicer it is. The areas near Hempstead Tpke has more petty crimes and mischief than the rest of town. Elmont has good schools too, you can even look it up. Elmont schools and Lakeview schools [Malverne] are one of the highest-peforming majority black school districts in the nation.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 12-27-2013 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 01:19 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Whether African American neighborhoods have gone down hill or moved from the inner city out to the suburbs, we can all be proud of the progress African Americans have made in America. I think this permanent honor being constructed on the Nation Mall in Washington D.C. to celebrate what African Americans have done in this country is the culmination of the fight our ancestors have made to get to where we are today:

How the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture is coming together (Video) - Washington Business Journal

Exclusive Look at New African American History Museum in Washington DC - Smithsonian Video - YouTube

A monument to our most transcendent figure in American History being the first non-president to get their own memorial on the Nation Mall in Washington D.C. in American History:

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Grand Opening - YouTube

We have made major strides and the black community is thriving! We have a permanent presence on Washington D.C.'s main street!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City