Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is better?
Fort Worth 62 45.93%
San Jose 73 54.07%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:28 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbd51 View Post
Fort Worth Urban Core

Downtown Fort Worth Texas on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25564050@N02/3070164642/in/photostream/ - broken link)
I like these photos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 AM

165 posts, read 396,545 times
Besides, speaking of history, San Jose has the one-of-a-kind Sarah Winchester mystery mansion; I can't think of anything comparable in Fort Worth. Despite earthquakes and phenomenal growth, San Jose has seen fit to save more of its historic architecture than Cowtown has. Almost nothing in this 1907 pictural guide to Fort Worth remains standing today: Photographs of Fort Worth : The Portal to Texas History

On the other hand, when it comes to exurban sprawl, (which now extends outward almost to the Oklahoma state border) Fort Worth has few peers nationally. Our esteemed Governor has also deemed high-speed rail unnecessary in a state with borders which stretch nearly 1,000 miles from north to south, and almost the same distance going east to west. Instead, we are told there's a need to build yet more tolls roads for our doggedly car-centric Texas culture. While California as a whole used to be the poster child for the American car-centered culture, they have become wiser in recent decades. BART has done an exceptionally good job at providing mass transit while reducing car traffic in the Bay area. In coming years, San Jose and the whole Bay area will see improved air quality as a result. In the meantime, the air-quality in Fort Worth-Dallas air continues to deteriorate. Since we are comparing cities, San Jose has more of a "Green" mentality while Fort Worth's unfortunately seems to be "Brown". Maybe that will change someday; I like both cities, but for entirely different reasons.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:55 AM

515 posts, read 986,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Dude Ft worth has a better cost of living, it's cheaper! And some one said San Francisco has better shopping than Dallas that’s funny because Dallas has more shopping centers population per capita than any other city in the United States. ) And San Jose murders Ft Worth by a mile? San Jose is a boomburb it was only 90,000 in the 50s FT Worth was 300,000 in the 50s, FT Worth has way more history even through it less dense and It feels way more urban because of that. FT Worth has a better Art scence hands down. Than San Jose has no developments going on that can match FT Worth trinity river project, a lot of people don't know this FT worth grew more than San Jose in the 2000s. There both underrated and great cities, you should learn a little about FT Worth before you say San Jose murders Ft Worth by a mile? really
How does having more shopping centers make a city have better shopping? New York has virtually no shopping centers and it is constantly heralded as having some of the best shopping in the U.S.

As for San Jose vs. Fort Worth, I think they're quite comparable. My personal preference would be for San Jose due to its proximity to both beach and mountains.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:32 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Kid thinks Dallas has better shopping than SF? Yeah and Des Moines has better shopping than Paris..

Old 03-13-2010, 11:35 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Kid thinks Dallas has better shopping than SF? Yeah and Des Moines has better shopping than Paris..
Not many people have disputed it; you've obviously never shopped in Dallas if you really believe the comparison is that drastic.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:49 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
I admit that was a an exaggeration but I have,and it's not on the same level.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:55 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Did you missed this post?

And I said to Lyrsc

And with all I said in my post you came and said

than I said

1. Personal Attack Wow

2. You told me I should learn about SF, so I said you should learn about Dallas. Than you said Why would I need to learn about a city I care nothing about?

I Answer that with a question, in that matter Why would I need to know about SF? ) but Regardless of caring? Dallas still has high end shopping and more shopping centers per capita. So it dosen't matter if you care.

3. I respond to US-Traveller who brought Dallas and SF shopping up in part of his post, you ignored he or her post and responded to minds. With in that post that's overrall about San Jose vs Fort Worth you choose to ignore everything but the Dallas and SF shopping. You're actually the first poster to make a whole post specifically about Dallas and SF shopping. ) All US-Traveller did was said his opinion and I stated minds "I said that funny' but You gave it wings.

1. Did you "missed" () the part in that post where Lyrsc said "IN MY OPINION?"

2. It wasn't a personal attack, it was response to the rudeness you were displaying in what you wrote.

3. I was here for all of that and did not need a review lesson as I'm not the one confused here (aside from maybe needing a translation for your broken English where I've indicated). But thanks anyway.

4. I'm not going to respond any further to the Dallas/SF comparison as it has no business being on this thread, so let's quit with the hijack already!

5. Hopefully this can put this senseless argument to rest: I only responded to the part of that "long" post that I had something to say about. US-Traveller give AN OPINION that you responded to with your little comment, and I responded to your comment. End of story. I'm not the one trying to continue speaking on any Dallas/SF comparison here, YOU ARE. I only spoke up b/c I disagreed with your comment, not to hijack this thread. I've already stated that this can be discussed in another thread if you want, but let's stop talking about it here b/c no one else here is interested!

Old 03-13-2010, 12:09 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,916 times
FW has many respected energy entrepreneurs (esp nat gas) but nearly all reside in suburbs
DFW, like SiliconValley, is suburban sprawl w/many important cos. like Exxon HQd in various suburbs and top folks choosing to reside in various suburbs

Aside from Cisco, SJ has none of the other tech giants...which have HQs in other suburbs like Cupertino, MtnVw, PaloAlto, RedwoodShs, SantaClara, etc etc

And no one with money chooses to live in SJ itself

I laugh about the shopping claims; shop for what? For groceries or big-box retailers, affluent yuppies who live in SF drive down to StanfordShoppingCtr or other places like SantanaRow to buy mundane stuff w/o hassles of SF's smelly homeless, potholes and lack of spacious parking

And for really fancy, bespoke-tailored clothes, etc, suspect wealthy anywhere simply fly to Manhattan or Paris...will run into many wealthy CA and TX customers in any major, high-end shopping city in world

Traffic is fairly easy in both SV and DFW as most execs live in suburbs nr their often suburban offices...and many back-office workers can more easily telecommute (thanks to tech invented in SV)...so the claims of difficult traffic and need for mass transit are a Luddite myth invented by non-taxpayers who want easy/sleazy $100K+/yr gvt jobs running trains/buses to nowhere...

Old 03-13-2010, 12:32 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,384,032 times
This is an interesting discussion of two relatively similar cities. Ultimately, San Jose has the edge just because it is located in California and also because it is in the Bay Area.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:35 PM

515 posts, read 986,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
FW has many respected energy entrepreneurs (esp nat gas) but nearly all reside in suburbs
DFW, like SiliconValley, is suburban sprawl w/many important cos. like Exxon HQd in various suburbs and top folks choosing to reside in various suburbs

Aside from Cisco, SJ has none of the other tech giants...which have HQs in other suburbs like Cupertino, MtnVw, PaloAlto, RedwoodShs, SantaClara, etc etc

And no one with money chooses to live in SJ itself

I laugh about the shopping claims; shop for what? For groceries or big-box retailers, affluent yuppies who live in SF drive down to StanfordShoppingCtr or other places like SantanaRow to buy mundane stuff w/o hassles of SF's smelly homeless, potholes and lack of spacious parking

And for really fancy, bespoke-tailored clothes, etc, suspect wealthy anywhere simply fly to Manhattan or Paris...will run into many wealthy CA and TX customers in any major, high-end shopping city in world

Traffic is fairly easy in both SV and DFW as most execs live in suburbs nr their often suburban offices...and many back-office workers can more easily telecommute (thanks to tech invented in SV)...so the claims of difficult traffic and need for mass transit are a Luddite myth invented by non-taxpayers who want easy/sleazy $100K+/yr gvt jobs running trains/buses to nowhere...
You mean, other than Cisco, eBay, Adobe, BEA Systems and other smaller tech firms, not to mention a host of other well-known tech companies that have large facilities in San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City