Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 01:40 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Treated better? According to who? Revisionist such as yourself? Did those Virginians give their slaves the weekends off and personal spa days as well? As far as everything else mentioned in this post, yes Virginia was different than the Lower South for a couple of key reasons. Virginia planters relied heavily on tobacco which overtime took a toll on the fertility of the soil. Which is the main reason the enslaved population started to decline in Virginia. Which created less demand for slave labor. Still Virginia was HEAVILY dependent on slavery because Virginia like other states in the Upper South became grounds for domestic slave trades and breeding. Matter fact the domestic slave trade was the states most successful industry at the time.

Richmond,VA was the 2nd largest American slave trading market after New Orleans in the United States. And because Virginia was so lucrative in domestic slave trading than enslaved people would go through a horrible process to get them prepared for plantation life in the lower south. Now you explain to me how Enslavers raping women and young girls and forcing them to sleep with other enslaved Men and Boys sometimes son with Mother and Father with daughter was somehow better treatment? Because the practice of breeding were more likely to happen at the domestic slave hubs and not the plantation. Now that's not me saying enslaved people were treated better in the lower south but that's weird to even use that term when talking about slavery period.

Also I have a direct connection to Virginia. I discovered that my Granddad on my Mom's side Great Grandfather was indeed enslaved in Virginia before being sold and brought to the Lower South here in Texas. I know who bought him and under what conditions. Ball and chain they described, which is not common for Black people to find out this information about their ancestry. I also found out that one of my ancestors was born in Colonial Maryland before she was sold and shipped to Arkansas. I believe her Father was born in Maryland and her Mother was born in Virginia. So that's another connection to the Upper South. That's on my Dad's Dad side. I was only able to trace one ancestor back to South Carolina(lower south) before they were sold to other parts of the lower south on my Dad's Mother side.
I'm going to say he misspoke and maybe meant to say that slaves in the Upper South didn't have the same labor demands as those in the Lower South. Also, there were more cities in the Upper South and urban slaves had a bit more freedom and useful skills compared to those who were confined to plantations and farms. Richmond fit the bill in this regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2022, 04:28 PM

128 posts, read 71,948 times
Quote:
I'm going to say he misspoke and maybe meant to say that slaves in the Upper South didn't have the same labor demands as those in the Lower South. Also, there were more cities in the Upper South and urban slaves had a bit more freedom and useful skills compared to those who were confined to plantations and farms. Richmond fit the bill in this regard.
Yes when I said treated better I did not mean that slaves in Virginia were treated well. They still endured the terrible conditions of a inhumane institution. However the labor demands were different and on average the slaveowners were less violent and more likely to offer a path to freedom. Again I want to reiterate that slavery in Virginia was still an inhumane practice, but it was slightly different than slavery further south. Having family from Florida and Virginia I know that race relations were often much worse in Florida. Those relations stem from a slave culture with more violence against the slaves in the deep south. Not to mention that basically every black person in the deep south were slaves before the civil war, whereas in the upper south there were a lot more free black people that were able to establish prosperous black communities. Not to say that more racist necessarily equals more southern, but it does have an effect on the development of the culture. Florida may have a lot of tourist areas along the coast that make it seem less classically southern, but if you drive from North Florida through Central Florida there is no doubt that you are in the deep south.

Old 03-12-2022, 05:18 AM

771 posts, read 624,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd argue that Tennessee is about as southern as or just a tad more than South Carolina.
Maybe, but Nashville is heading in the same direction as Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin, etc. Lots of transplants and the local culture is starting to feel the impact as a result. It’s also the biggest city in Tennessee and the only area that is seeing significant economic growth, so I think it has a greater influence in the state as a whole.

South Carolina is more of a classic southern state if you look at its history, for better or for worse.

Old 03-13-2022, 10:19 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Maybe, but Nashville is heading in the same direction as Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin, etc. Lots of transplants and the local culture is starting to feel the impact as a result. It’s also the biggest city in Tennessee and the only area that is seeing significant economic growth, so I think it has a greater influence in the state as a whole.

South Carolina is more of a classic southern state if you look at its history, for better or for worse.
Nashville is specifically known for attracting conservative transplants and much of its identity revolves around country music and Protestant evangelicalism. SC is a top state for domestic migration but it's not focused on a singular city but the coast as a whole plus suburban Charlotte and, to a lesser extent, the Upstate and Columbia. The Midwest is a source for a large number of transplants to both states but SC gets more transplants from the Northeast as well.

Tennessee is also a classic Southern state historically. Its popular identity is based on the musical forms that took root there like country and blues, and a bunch of evangelical denominations that are popular in the South are headquartered there like the Southern Baptist Convention and the Church of God in Christ. The state has the classical Deep South representation in Memphis and environs and eastern Tennessee is classically upper South/Appalachian.

Old 03-17-2022, 07:47 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nashville is specifically known for attracting conservative transplants and much of its identity revolves around country music and Protestant evangelicalism. SC is a top state for domestic migration but it's not focused on a singular city but the coast as a whole plus suburban Charlotte and, to a lesser extent, the Upstate and Columbia. The Midwest is a source for a large number of transplants to both states but SC gets more transplants from the Northeast as well.

Tennessee is also a classic Southern state historically. Its popular identity is based on the musical forms that took root there like country and blues, and a bunch of evangelical denominations that are popular in the South are headquartered there like the Southern Baptist Convention and the Church of God in Christ. The state has the classical Deep South representation in Memphis and environs and eastern Tennessee is classically upper South/Appalachian.
Nashville is attracting people from Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and the Midwest. Unlike the rest of Tennessee, this is changing the culture here and will continue to change it over time.I don't see its southernness going away, but it is definitely not the same as it used to be. I doubt most of the transplants moving here to work in tech, healthcare, and music are mostly conservative evangelicals. Because Nashville is a blue dot in a sea of red, the state government is working hard to make Nashville conservative (see the ridiculous gerrymandering that has occured). Nashville is also a finalist for the RNC.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...rk/6568429001/

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news...conomic-boost/

Old 04-09-2022, 10:56 PM

7 posts, read 6,286 times
Alabama- 10/10
Florida (North of Orlando)- 7/10
Georgia- 10/10
Kentucky- 5/10
Louisiana- 7/10
Mississippi- 10/10
North Carolina- 8/10
Oklahoma- 4/10
South Carolina- 10/10
Tennessee- 9/10
Texas- 6/10
Virginia- 5/10

Old 04-11-2022, 11:33 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,094,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville is attracting people from Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and the Midwest. Unlike the rest of Tennessee, this is changing the culture here and will continue to change it over time.I don't see its southernness going away, but it is definitely not the same as it used to be. I doubt most of the transplants moving here to work in tech, healthcare, and music are mostly conservative evangelicals. Because Nashville is a blue dot in a sea of red, the state government is working hard to make Nashville conservative (see the ridiculous gerrymandering that has occured). Nashville is also a finalist for the RNC.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...rk/6568429001/

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news...conomic-boost/
Nashville isn't the only blue dot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City