Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 07:19 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
With a few exceptions, all the states in between TX and Cali and developing much the same way. Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada have many of the same elements you mentioned above
True, however there are a fewthings that I think set Texas and Cali apart from those other cities you mentioned. Large black populations, large asian populations, large overall populations and the fact that both states can be divided up into many cultural regions to the point where it sometimes feels like you're in a totally different state depending on where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:24 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Texas is where California was in 1950 or 1960. California wasn't all that liberal like it is now back in the day. I don't think Texas will ever get to be as liberal as California is now but I do believe that Texas will start to moderate alot more in the near future and not be as conservative as it is now. But I can see why many would say Texas and California. As much as both states hate to admit it, there has always been a respectful connection between the two states.

I'm throwing this one out. Now maybe this is just coincidences. But Texas and Florida are like long lost brothers itself.
Both have a panhandle.
Both have sort of a triangle with the biggest cities as the on the end. (Florida with Miami/Ft.Lauderdale/Jacksonville/Tampa St. Pete) (Texas with Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio).
Inside of this triangle, you have a nice sized metro (Orlando and Austin).
Florida's and Texas biggest city is not the biggest metro in their respective states.
Unlike the majority of the rest of the South, they have a very large Hispanic population.
Constantly questioned if the state is Southern or not.
Both was governed by a Bush.
Two and Three (yeah Texas is actually third, UTHorns according to blackdemographics), in black population.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:41 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Texas is where California was in 1950 or 1960. California wasn't all that liberal like it is now back in the day. I don't think Texas will ever get to be as liberal as California is now but I do believe that Texas will start to moderate alot more in the near future and not be as conservative as it is now. But I can see why many would say Texas and California. As much as both states hate to admit it, there has always been a respectful connection between the two states.

I'm throwing this one out. Now maybe this is just coincidences. But Texas and Florida are like long lost brothers itself.
Both have a panhandle.
Both have sort of a triangle with the biggest cities as the on the end. (Florida with Miami/Ft.Lauderdale/Jacksonville/Tampa St. Pete) (Texas with Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, San Antonio).
Inside of this triangle, you have a nice sized metro (Orlando and Austin).
Florida's and Texas biggest city is not the biggest metro in their respective states.
Unlike the majority of the rest of the South, they have a very large Hispanic population.
Constantly questioned if the state is Southern or not.
Both was governed by a Bush.
Two and Three (yeah Texas is actually third, UTHorns according to blackdemographics), in black population.
Haha, SOOOO deadly accurate. Also both are number 2 and number 3 respectively in states with the Highest Hispanic population, and both are on the Gulf Coast. I've always made a comparison between MIAMI and DALLAS,

both metros are the largest in there state,

neither city is the largest in there state YET both cities are the most famous in there state,

both cities are known for there flashiness and wealth,

both cities NBA teams play in an American Airlines sponsored court(Miami American Airlines Arena, Dallas American Airlines Center)

Both cities have another city in there metro area that has it's OWN identity and has the word FORT in it(Miami has Fort Lauderdale, Dallas has Fort Worth),

Jimmy Johnson coached the University Of Miami, then coached Dallas Cowboys,

Michael Irvin played for the U Of Miami and is from Fort Lauderdale, then played for the Cowboys in the NFL.

BOTH cities are CONSTANTLY on the A&E TV show The 1st 48.

And last but not least, BOTH cities met each other in the NBA Finals in 06.

Miami and Dallas are long lost cousins.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:53 AM

I meant to put the thing about the Fort in there. That's also another huge similarity. I also forgot that the American Airlines is on the name of both arenas. But my Mom doesn't care much for Dallas but she LOVES Houston and she is born and raised in Miami. The reason is because Houston reminds her of Miami.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:08 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
No state is exactly the same as another. But some do seem to go together when I think about them.

Vermont --- New Hampshire
Virginia --- West Virginia (history and the name)
Virginia --- North Carolina (similar geography)
South Carolina --- North Carolina (mostly because of the name)
Kentucky --- Tennessee
Mississippi --- Alabama
Illinois --- Indiana
Wisconsin --- Michigan
North Dakota --- South Dakota
Kansas --- Nebraska
Washington --- Oregon
Idaho --- Montana (fits together like a puzzle piece)
Arizonia --- New Mexico

Those the main ones for me.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:15 AM

I always liked the Mississippi-Alabama-Georgia layout. It's like their backs are against each other or Alabama being squeezed between the two.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:44 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
New Jersey's twin has to be either Maryland or Connecticut.
NYC plays a similar towards NJ as DC does for MD. Newark--Baltimore, very similar in a few ways. Both the states are amongst the wealthiest states (side by side in rankings)... It seems like a reasonable comparison.

Connecticut is probably a closer twin.
Hartford is similar to Trenton based on crime stats, size, and history. CT has a bunch of midsized cities which most unfortunately turned out to be undesirable (as does NJ), and confidentially both states have some of the lowest poverty rates, and some of the highest education rates in the nation (thanks to the freeloading governments both states became burden to. "Those damn tax sucking states!")

You see the chain?
I agree with everything except the "freeloading governments" part. NJ is very much like CT and MD, where CT is more like North Jersey and MD is a lot like South Jersey.

I'd say also that NJ is like the little old man grandpa of California - a lot of similarities in the diversity of the population and land, but on a much more ancient and small scale in NJ.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:06 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,786,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Florida and Louisiana seem comparable. Both states are subtropical, used to be considered uninhabitable swampland. Both states have similar climate with humidity, similar topography, similar wildlife (the presence of alligators, types of snakes, etc.). Both states experience short and unpredictable rainfall in the summertime and are prone to hurricanes. And both have unique cities that are unlike anywhere in the U.S. (Miami and New Orleans).

Louisiana is Florida without Disney World.
That is a stretch. Are there similarities between the states? A few, and you covered them all. Are there differences? Huge ones. So, similar yes, but twins? Hardly. Not even close. Florida = theme parks, beaches, several huge cities in one state (Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando), Caribbean (Key West is technically in the Caribbean) and heavily Cuban with zero French influence (other than Haitian which again is Caribbean and not [Acadian] French).

Louisiana is pretty unique considering the Cajun culture, but other than that it has much, much more in common with Mississippi, which is closest to being its twin.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
coastal Florida and coastal California are twins. inland Florida resembles more of GA TX or LA

Old 04-04-2010, 11:49 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I seem to be getting to these threads right after knke and yes, I unfortonately also have to say Wisconsin is still our closest cousin.

The Packers still suck.

Some differences though:
-WI has more of an emphasis on basketball as a third major sport while hockey is a lot bigger in MN.
-WI is more dairy while MN is more crops.
-WI is much hillier while MN is pretty much flat other than the eastern border with WI.
-WI's population is much more dispersed in small cities throughout the state while MN's is much more heavily concentrated in one large metro area.
-WI has more Polish while MN has more Irish. Both are heavily German and Scandinavian.
-WI's NFL team sucks while MN has the greatest NFL team in the league.
-WI has more of the typical midwestern accent while MN has its accent which although is not as pronounced as in the movie Fargo, is still definitely there.
-WI does officially have more lakes but they classify lakes as bodies of water over 5 acres while in MN lakes must officially have 10 acres. If we counted all our ponds over 5 acres as lakes like WI does, we'd have triple the amount of them.
-WI is closer to other major metro areas than MN
-WI has uglier license plates than MN. Both are nicer than IL's.

Yeah, I was surprised how many rolling hills and even large hills there are througout Wisconsin. As a Minnesotan, I also agree that there is a WI accent, different from ours. And of course, Vikings > Packers, always and forever.

You know why it's so windy in Minnesota? Because The Dakotas suck and Wisconsin blows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City