Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times

Advertisements

Thinking of states that are similar in culture, cities, landscape, demographics, economics and such. What state is most similar to yours?

I am originally from Pennsylvania, and when I moved to Ohio, I saw a lot of similarities. The demographics are almost exactly similar, large cities with plenty of sporting activities. Diverse landscapes, and different city neighborhoods representing the immigrants that have settled down. Home to some of the best and largest university systems in the country.

Cincinnati and Pittsburgh are like siblings. Cleveland reminds me of a smaller Philadelphia. Both states are home to diverse economies with countless fortune 500 companies. The wealth is spread across the states, not just concentrated in one section. People tend to view issues the same, and you have your big city attitudes, your take it easy suburbs, and peaceful countryside.

So for me, Pennsylvania/Ohio.

Also, Missouri reminds me a lot of Ohio as well.

So what is your state's twin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,193 times
There's a whole thread on this, but I feel like my state of California doesn't have a twin. others argue this though, so it's really a matter of opinion.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
There's a whole thread on this, but I feel like my state of California doesn't have a twin. others argue this though, so it's really a matter of opinion.
I looked back to previous pages, and couldn't find one. Sorry if this is a replicate. I was worried that would happen.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
Hmm... for New Hampshire it has to be either Vermont or Maine, but I think VT is probably the better choice.

One of the major differences is that Vermont is more agricultural than either NH or Maine, but so much of the economy and culture in Maine is tied to the ocean, whereas NH has a very small coastline. All three states are mountainous, but the mountains are more accessible and make up a larger portion of VT and NH than they do Maine.

Granted, there are cultural differences between NH and VT as well. While NH is more libertarian, VT is more liberal. But both states share a value on local small businesses, community involvement and local government, education, health care, outdoor recreation, and so on.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
Hmm... for New Hampshire it has to be either Vermont or Maine, but I think VT is probably the better choice.

One of the major differences is that Vermont is more agricultural than either NH or Maine, but so much of the economy and culture in Maine is tied to the ocean, whereas NH has a very small coastline. All three states are mountainous, but the mountains are more accessible and make up a larger portion of VT and NH than they do Maine.

Granted, there are cultural differences between NH and VT as well. While NH is more libertarian, VT is more liberal. But both states share a value on local small businesses, community involvement and local government, education, health care, outdoor recreation, and so on.
Thanks, I think these type of questions give people a better insight of what states have to offer. Especially compared to states most comparable to others. I really do not know that much about New England, but that was interesting hearing about Vermont and New Hampshire.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:00 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Sadly I'll have to say Texas--we're both addicted to oil (and immersed in Car Culture)!

Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
You can argue that the lake area of New Hampshire and the small rocky sea coast seem to tie New Hampshire more with Maine than with Vermont. But partially because of the size and shape of the two states, I more often tend to tie Vermont and New Hampshire together.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,171,291 times
There certainly are strong similarities between NH and Maine. Historically, they have been more closely linked. The mountainous terrain of western NH and Vermont originally made contact and movement between those two states a bit tough, whereas travel between NH and Maine was fairly straightforward and facilitated by both states having port towns.

Linguistically speaking, the dialects of Mainers and New Hampshirites are much more closely related than either is to Vermont. The Vermont dialect is closer to that of western Massachusetts and Connecticut, where many of the original settlers came from.

NH and Maine also underwent greater industrialization with the advent of the textile mills, while VT was a bit more resistant to change and held on to more agricultural land.

But I think that since Maine is so much bigger than the other two northern New England states, it deserves to be in a category all its own. After all, there are considerable differences in landscape and culture between the southern coastal part of the state and the mountainous and agricultural northern areas.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
There really isn't a twin for California but some states have characteristics common to California: Oregon\ Washington are basically libertarian to liberal w/ strong environmental movements. These state have a similar coastline with mountains & drier inland valleys with lots of agriculture. Hawaii is a beach culture state like SoCal where there are lots of palm trees & warm weather. Florida could also be included for outdoor living similar to California. Arizona\ Nevada are like the California deserts & practically suburbs of LA anyway

Old 04-01-2010, 09:44 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
New Mexico dosent really have a twin, but I guess you could say its a blend of Colorado,Arizona and Texas if anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City