Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:29 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Yeah, most in California. Surfing and kiteboarding and such in the ocean and bays. Wakeboarding and waterskiing in the tons of lakes. Snowboarding and skiing from the Cascades down through the Sierra and to the San Gabriel mountains. The various skate meccas of SF, SJ, Santa Cruz, Oxnard, SFV, Venice and probably San Diego, too..
Good summary! Is there anywhere else in the world that has such variety & sheer number of boarding enthusiasts than California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 01:46 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Central FL is a huge wakeboarding destination. It hosts many professional wakeboarding events, competitions, and championships. Its also a very popular hobby among the people who live there.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:02 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
I would also like to add Seattle, perhaps? I think it might be up there. I've also heard that Phily has quite a nice scene.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
But do people actually skateboard down the steep hills in San Francisco? That would be a blast to watch!
Some do...

YouTube - Rob bombing SF

Old 04-08-2010, 03:43 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman023 View Post
There's more to boarding than skateboarding, Cali people ITT...
You can also snowboard in cali, surf in cali, wakeboard in cali.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:44 PM

Yep, California at a very distant 1st.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:47 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
The obvious answers for all board sports would be the major cali cities.

but its more fun to try to pick #1 for each:

Skateboarding- Barcelona (or so I am told), for the US: LA would seem logical, but I see the arguments for SF esp for longboarding

Snowboarding- obvious no CITY. but I guess SLC, Denver, Portland are the closest cities to pow in US. I ski not board but seems like you'd want the same general thing- snow.

Surfing- City? Surfer's Paradise maybe or Perth? Capetown?. North Shore of Oahu in the states but not a city (personally I've only surfed in Maine and Nova Scotia. You can surf basically right in Halifax, NS and although it's definitely not the best, it is a contender for best in the east)

Skimboarding- Heres one I think the east coast can take because you don't really want waves, just long flat beaches. Maybe Miami?

Wakeboarding- Florida probably? Again, hard to pick a city. Orlando? as one someone said it's popular in the central region. aslo, It is very popular amongst people I know from Toronto (Muskoka, touristy area North or toronto) for whatever reason

But for ALL combined, I'd say LA, SF, or SD. too bad they're so far from the Mountains.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post

Skateboarding- Barcelona (or so I am told), for the US: LA would seem logical, but I see the arguments for SF esp for longboarding

Snowboarding- obvious no CITY. but I guess SLC, Denver, Portland are the closest cities to pow in US. I ski not board but seems like you'd want the same general thing- snow.

Surfing- City? Surfer's Paradise maybe or Perth? Capetown?. North Shore of Oahu in the states but not a city (personally I've only surfed in Maine and Nova Scotia. You can surf basically right in Halifax, NS and although it's definitely not the best, it is a contender for best in the east)

Skimboarding- Heres one I think the east coast can take because you don't really want waves, just long flat beaches. Maybe Miami?

Wakeboarding- Florida probably? Again, hard to pick a city. Orlando? as one someone said it's popular in the central region. aslo, It is very popular amongst people I know from Toronto (Muskoka, touristy area North or toronto) for whatever reason

But for ALL combined, I'd say LA, SF, or SD. too bad they're so far from the Mountains.
Depends on what you consider "far". For SF about 3-4 hours. For LA and SD about 2-3 hours from ski resorts. Going up to the mountain just for the day is common in both regions. One of my friends actually did the whole "surf and ski in the same day" thing once, but few do that.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post

None of them are far from the mountains. There all in pretty good proximity.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
In order from most to significantly less but still above average:

1. San Deigo
2. Honolulu
3. L.A
4. Miami
5. Fort Lauderdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City