Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I find the following city the most exciting, unique, has the most to do, and is overall a great plac
Atlanta, Ga 55 50.93%
Savannah, Ga 53 49.07%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:23 PM

316 posts, read 654,526 times

Advertisements

It comes down more to a person's personality and the type of things they like doing. Atlanta has the major city vibe whereas Savannah has the smaller town vibe. Now I know for a fact that biking is big in Savannah. You have beaches, and plus Savannah has a lot of history behind it. You may even run into a couple of Ghosts while you are there also. It is a great city however, no downfalls, just slower than Atlanta. Savannah is probably a better place to raise a family also. But like someone mentioned earlier they are two cities that do not have anything in common. It's like comparing Chicago IL, to Mount Vernon IL.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:58 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
Atlanta is a great and powerful city that has helped make Georgia the Empire State of the South, but as far as living goes for me, I prefer Old South over New South. Savannah is closer to that and is a beautiful city, so I would choose Savannah.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:44 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
I agree with the consensus on this thread and say this is a very odd comparison because you couldn't compare two more different cities. There is enough information on these boards about Atlanta, so I'll enlighten people about Savannah.

It's not a major or big city. It is however an importortant city due to it's history, culture, and architecture. In modern times it is important because of it's tourism and it's port (which I believe is the second largest on the East Coast). Because of this, Savannah has a small town vibe among it's people and it's "pace". You get the sense, especially in the Historic District, that the residents all know each other.

The culture of the area is primarily split among the descendants of the Colonials, Irish and the Gullah. "Voodoo" (I don't think the Gullah call it this) is commonly practiced in the area, and oddly enough, Savannah has one the largest St. Patrick's Day celebrations in the country. In other words, mirror mini New Orleans (British settlers instead of French, Gullah instead of Creole, and Irish instead of Italians).

It is also a very old city, which is not lost on you as you walk the streets. How old you ask, Savannah was planned and incorporated in 1733. It's of about the same age group as Baltimore, Philadelphia, Charleston, New Orleans, Providence, Boston, NYC. The planners designed it specifically to be Georgia's major city in the same vein as the one's above.

Even though Savannah survived the Civil War without any major damage (The residents boozed up General Sherman so he wouldn't burn the place down like he had Atlanta), the war undoubtled had a major effect on the city. As many people know, the South was utterly destroyed after the Civil War both politically and monetarily for almost two generations. In the years after, it was anyone's game to become the dominant player. However, Savannah did not take advantage of this and focused on it's shipping ports instead of rail. Atlanta did, and became Georgia's (and the Southeast's) major city.

This is also the point where the huge differences between the cities becomes apparent aside from the obvious one that the area that is now Atlanta remained a Creek and Cherokee trading town for 100 years after Savannah started building it's famous squares.

Cuisine: Savannah has by far the best Lowcountry cuisine in the world. While the restaurant scene has been growing over the last few years, other cusines leave a lot to be desired since they do not have a large pool of talent pull from. Case in point, the worst steak I have ever had was in Savannah. What they did to that meat should be illegal.

Arts: Also because it is a smaller city, you won't find a lot of art tours, bands, etc there. The local scene is pretty good.

Entertainment: This where Savannah shines and fails. On the plus side, you can consume any beverage on the street as long as it is in a plastic cup, the residents are fun loving, and clubs stay open until the wee hours of the morning with a nice variety of music from blues to punk. But because of it's size, you are likely to hear music in the clubs that is as much as 6 months or year behind clubs in Atlanta. There are no posh night spots, and the clientele is more of the college frat type. While it can still be fun, it's not my cup of tea.

Diversity: While the culture of Savannah is unique, it is not particularly diverse. For those who think Atlanta is "just a black and white city" have obviously never been Savannah. While this is not a bad thing per se, it is a big reason why Savannah is not at all cosmopolitan.

Business: While there are several options for work, the city pretty much revolves around tourism. Something that is not at all friendly for upwardly mobile young professionals.

Overall though, Savannah is one of my favorite places in America and enjoy every visit I have there. Everyone should at least make an attempt to check it out once in their life.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:34 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Another thing about Savannah: Once you leave the Historic District (and exclude some pockets such as Isle of Hope and Tybee Island), you're looking at a pretty typical south GA city.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:07 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Wouldn't the presence of SCAD make Savannah less frat boy and more art school fun? Hopefully? I'm actually considering moving there and maybe teaching and working for a bit.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wouldn't the presence of SCAD make Savannah less frat boy and more art school fun? Hopefully? I'm actually considering moving there and maybe teaching and working for a bit.
That's the funny thing. It's party scene is frat boyish without having a college to provide the frat boys. It's hard to tell if they are locals or kids down from U. South Carolina to party.

As for artsy scene, I haven't ever taken part in anyting, but I would say you wouldn't find your typical counter culture/artistic scene as you will in a big city. The residents are ecclectic enough though to enjoy.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That's the funny thing. It's party scene is frat boyish without having a college to provide the frat boys. It's hard to tell if they are locals or kids down from U. South Carolina to party.

As for artsy scene, I haven't ever taken part in anyting, but I would say you wouldn't find your typical counter culture/artistic scene as you will in a big city. The residents are ecclectic enough though to enjoy.
There are some other colleges in the vicinity.

Armstrong Atlantic State University Savannah, GA

Welcome to Savannah State University

Georgia Southern University

Old 04-12-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

I didn't think about GSU.

I'm pretty sure the frat boyish partiers I've encountered there didn't come from Savannah State or SCAD though

Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,877 times
From what I know about both of them they're both great places. I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them. Though I would probably prefer to live in Atlanta, I certainly wouldn't mind Savannah.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I didn't think about GSU.

I'm pretty sure the frat boyish partiers I've encountered there didn't come from Savannah State or SCAD though
I know a lot of the boys from Fort Stewart like to spend leave on River Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City