Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: America's Fourth City:
Atlanta 7 4.00%
Boston 7 4.00%
Dallas 7 4.00%
Houston 32 18.29%
Miami 8 4.57%
Philadelphia 21 12.00%
San Francisco 29 16.57%
Washington, D.C. 64 36.57%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:44 AM

370 posts, read 371,898 times

Advertisements

We're all aware of the United States' Alpha global cities: New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago (although Chicago is somewhat debatable, but shall be included notwithstanding this). The question is, what is America's fourth city? Is there one that is on par, or close to being on par, with the other three previously mentioned centers? Is there a city that has reached both national and international prominence in the same way that these cities have, such that it can be included among these? What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:10 AM

571 posts, read 1,281,440 times
I think Houston has to be due to the amount of exporting (and importing) the Port of Houston does. In addition, a lot of people call us the Energy Capital which is a bit of misnomer. Energy really means oil and natural gas (although renewable energy companies are starting to pop up here and there). In addition, Houston's manufacturing industry is huge...mainly b/c it manufactures all the equipment necessary to explore for all that oil and natural gas. I think Obama's recent decision to open up the Pacific coast and parts of the gulf for drilling will bode well for Houston since most of the equipment necessary to do so (at least for the gulf) will come from Houston. In addition, many oil developers from Russian, the Persian Gulf and Africa are now coming to Houston to do business with companies and to get supplies for their refineries overseas. NASA really brought Aeronautics to Houston although that's been kind of threatened lately. There's been talk though that when the shuttles are retired in favor of the development of privatized space flight that Houston might be such a city for that industry to take off from (pardon the pun)...only time will tell. Finally, the TMC is a huge player in our economy and in the Healthcare and Medical research industry. Houston is really trying to expand its economy (our technology sector is growing) and we have a very healthy venture capital and finance market too. All in all, I think Houston is a vital node to America's central nervous system whose importance cannot be ignored or dismissed as merely another business center that specializes in finance. I think it's a good mesh of specific industries and the ubiquitous banking industry standard to every central business district.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:21 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I picked Dallas, but I don't entirely have a justification. I was thinking Dallas, Houston, or Philadelphia and just picked one.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,789 times
Ok

Old 04-20-2010, 06:55 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
If we are talking about cities only and not reigions, Houston easily.

If we are talking about reigions, its a toss up between DFW, Philly, and the Bay Area.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Philly or San Francisco. Definitely not Houston or Atlanta or Dalllas, but possibly Washington DC or Miami.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:11 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Philly or San Francisco. Definitely not Houston or Atlanta or Dalllas, but possibly Washington DC or Miami.
Not Philly - lives in NYC's shadow too much.

I chose ATL just b/c it is the hub of the southeastern US, but definitely could see Houston or Washington DC being the No. 4 as well.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:16 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,128 times
Only New York & Chicago are alpha cities. LA is now a beta city according to GaWC world rankings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneandonlyLA View Post
We're all aware of the United States' Alpha global cities: New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago

Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,958,846 times
I'd say DC because it's the capital and it has the 4th largest CSA in the nation.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:24 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Not Philly - lives in NYC's shadow too much.

I chose ATL just b/c it is the hub of the southeastern US, but definitely could see Houston or Washington DC being the No. 4 as well.
Despite being in NYC's shadow, Philly is still larger than Atlanta, both in city population and metro. It's also better located and more prominent, I think, in people's minds.

Anyway, I'd go with San Fran right after Philly and way before Atlanta - I believe city population is roughly the same, but the SF Bay area - including San Jose, Oakland - blows away the Atlanta metro. Not to mention the importance of silicon valley, which is unrivaled by anything in the Atlanta metro - or most metros, really - only NYC has Silicon Alley, that's about it, and the IT industry is the backbone of large businesses these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City