Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are the educational capitals?
New York 114 50.22%
Chicago 82 36.12%
DC 90 39.65%
LA 52 22.91%
San Francisco 86 37.89%
Baltimore 8 3.52%
Boston 171 75.33%
Atlanta 37 16.30%
Pittsburgh 17 7.49%
Raleigh-Durham 45 19.82%
Nashville 4 1.76%
Seattle 20 8.81%
Dallas 7 3.08%
Austin 17 7.49%
Philadelphia 64 28.19%
Greensboro-Winston-Salem 7 3.08%
other 18 7.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:45 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I see...I understand now, thanks for clarifying that. While the tech presence in places like the Bay Area, Southern California and Boston may not have been created by the colleges themselves, you'd have to be mad to think colleges like Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT aren't the reason those areas are the leaders in tech.
Google was created in a dorm room at Stanford, and was held on Stanford's private server during the first period of it's life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 01:47 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The all-around first choice is the Greater Boston area since it has a huge variety of prestigious schools. After that, it really depends on how much emphasis is put on graduate, specialty, and liberal arts schools as well as the split between numbers and prestige (does one amazing school trump having several great ones?). The big contenders after Boston are

NYC (Columbia/NYC and probably the greatest number of great specialized schools),

LA (Caltech/UCLA/USC plus specialty schools for the arts especially and a cluster of some of the best liberal arts schools in the nation),

the Bay Area (Berkeley/Stanford, plus specialized schools like UCSF, UC Hastings, SF Art Institute),

Chicago (University of Chicago/Northwestern and some good specialized school)

Philadelphia (Penn and a bevy of great liberal arts schools)

a lot of other areas like Pittsburgh, Atlanta, the Research Triangle, and DC should get honorable mention.
Fair and balanced ^

(WE'LL DO IT LIVE!!!!!!!)

Old 05-05-2010, 01:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I see...I understand now, thanks for clarifying that. While the tech presence in places like the Bay Area, Southern California and Boston may not have been created by the colleges themselves, you'd have to be mad to think colleges like Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT aren't the reason those areas are the leaders in tech.
Oh definitely. I am not denying this. But to restate my position, considering that this is about the educational capitals, the campuses are definitely apart of this thread, as well as creating great working professionals. Think of RTP as an extension of the campuses which also houses high tech/pharmaceutical companies regional and corporate HQs. It is definitely a unique blend that has been rarely duplicated.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
I don't know much at all about the Research Triangle but how does it differ than say the many research organizations associated with University of Michigan or University of Texas? Purdue has a decent size research park. Even University of Central Florida has a research park associated with it. What makes the Triangle so special compared to other research parks of the same sort?

Old 05-05-2010, 02:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,300,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I don't know much at all about the Research Triangle but how does it differ than say the many research organizations associated with University of Michigan or University of Texas? Purdue has a decent size research park. Even University of Central Florida has a research park associated with it. What makes the Triangle so special compared to other research parks of the same sort?
I tried explaining but it seems my point is not being digested. Here is an article written by Dartmouth University (outside of NC, so there is little to no bias). Maybe this will explain.
http://www.dartmouth.edu/~jtscott/Papers/00-22.pdf

Old 05-05-2010, 02:40 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Without reading all of the posts, I just wanted to mention Worcester, MA, Burlington, VT and Providence, RI for their contributions.

Worcester( c. 150,000) has Holy Cross, Assumption, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, UMass Medical School, etc..

Providence has Brown University, Providence College, Rhode Island School of Design, URI-Providence,etc..

Burlington, VT has the University of Vermont, St. Michael's College, Champlain College and Burlington College, etc...

Old 05-05-2010, 02:44 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:

Lifeshadower,
It's unfortunate some other programs weren't listed or more specifics done. Like U.Tenn has the only real graduate program for Supply Chain Management and Logistics. University of Miami is well known for its Music program. University of Florida and University of Miami are well known for their film programs. UTexas, VirginiaTech, Texas A&M, GeorgiaTech, and UVirginia could all potentially make the cut for Architecture. Virginia Commonwealth would certainly be on top 10 grad art programs as could UF and Savannah. UNC could make the list for Urban Planning. UNC, Duke, UTexas, and UGeorgia all have top Public Administration schools. Northeast and West would still be represented equally but at least us Southerners wouldn't look quite as bad.
I can only work with data that was the most easily available, which is at US News. Schools like Duke, UT: Austin, University of Virginia, UNC, UGa are all on the lists right now. I personally don't like the way US News ranks programs because they give too much favor to factors that are unrelated to quality of education or prestige of the program, but its the one that's easily most digestible.

I think in coming time, there will be more top schools that are from the South, in addition to the ones that are already represented simply because of more investment coming to those institutions from the people that they churn out. It's not like the South is alone in being underrepresented, as the Midwest is as well. There are many factors that go with it, so I won't judge.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:52 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
I'm just curious is Princeton in any of these?

What are people's take on Yale or Providence would Yale get grouped with NYC or Providence or is it a lone wolf? Does Providence get grouped with Boston or are they on their own as well? If Providence gets grouped with Yale I'd have to put it in the honorable mention as well between Brown, Yale, and RISD you have some really strong programs in very well funded schools.

Also for those of you considering a metro to be 50 miles would it be fair to then raise Baltimore's status a bit by including the U.S. Naval Academy? In fact for those with these big regions according to Wikipedia Baltimore, Annapolis, and DC are all one large metro. If we go by that logic I'd have to put it certainly in the honorable mentions, maybe higher. John's Hopkins, Georgetown, University of Maryland, and The Naval Academy.
A couple of points Univ of MD is only a few miles from the city line of DC - much closer to DC - actually inside the Beltway

Annapolis is about the same distance from both DC and Baltimore - it resides in Annarundel county which is part of the DC metro - and in more recent times has developed a closer relationship with DC than is older relationship with Baltimore

Princeton is 23 miles from the Philadelphia but resides in the NY Metro - It basically resides in an area that flips back back and forth between Philly and NY (currently part the NYC Metro based on the census and would say more Mets fans than Phillies fans in the area but is pretty close) It resides about 45 miles from Manhatten - you could argue this could be in either city Metro actually

Old 05-05-2010, 08:03 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Boston
DC
New York
Chicago
Philly

Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Duuhhh!! Obvious answer people! Raleigh if anything should be first for the whole entire south!! Then in the top 5 for national at least! Hint Hint THE RESEARCH TRIANGLE?! UNC Chapel Hill, Duke University, North Carolina State, Peace College, Meredeth College, Shaw University,St. Augustines College, Wake TTC, and more!
You must not know much about Atlanta,Nashville,Hampton Roads(Virginia Beach).

Atlanta-Emory,Morehouse,Spelman,Ga Tech,Ga State University, Oglethorpe,West Georgia University,S.C.A.D,Kennesaw State University,Life University

Nashville-Vanderbilt,Meharry Medical School,Fisk University,Tennesee State University,The Art Institute of Tennesee

Hampton Roads-College of William and Mary,Old Dominion,Hampton Univ.,Norfolk State,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City