Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 10:46 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If by "fast paced" you mean people walking fast and pushing people with a cell phone in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other, then I'd say no, DC is not "fast paced" by that definition. JFK called it a city of "southern efficiency" for a reason.
JFK said that over 50 years ago, though. And he was referring to the bureaucracy more than anything else back then. I'm not saying I'm disagreeing, but that quote, while an amusing anecdote, is particularly useful for discussions about DC in the 21st Century.

DC is not like New York in terms of pushing people out of the way, but you can tell who is local by looking at those trying to rush after the metro trains vs those blocking the escalators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
JFK said that over 50 years ago, though. And he was referring to the bureaucracy more than anything else back then. I'm not saying I'm disagreeing, but that quote, while an amusing anecdote, is particularly useful for discussions about DC in the 21st Century.

DC is not like New York in terms of pushing people out of the way, but you can tell who is local by looking at those trying to rush after the metro trains vs those blocking the escalators.
DC has likely quickened its pace since then given its growth. What I don't get is this exciting northeastern mentality being discussed. There have been a good amount of studies on the correlation between metro size and density in correlation to the literal fast pace (average speed of pedestrians) and the correlation hasn't been so much about the region as it has been about the size of the metro/city. Chicago is bigger and for the most part bigger.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:41 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
DC has likely quickened its pace since then given its growth. What I don't get is this exciting northeastern mentality being discussed. There have been a good amount of studies on the correlation between metro size and density in correlation to the literal fast pace (average speed of pedestrians) and the correlation hasn't been so much about the region as it has been about the size of the metro/city. Chicago is bigger and for the most part bigger.
I don't think it's a Northeast thing. There are a lot of laidback places in the Northeast as well.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
I don't think it's a Northeast thing. There are a lot of laidback places in the Northeast as well.
I don't think that's the case either. I just think ehat he's sayi g is off.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Having huge crowds on the sidewalks and lots of people who long distances who walk to get somewhere practical rather a leisurely stroll is a recipe of impatient fast-moving pedestrians. People coming from other parts of the country to big cities (especially New York City) don't get why people walk so fast. In suburbia, most drivers would get annoyed at being stuck behind a slow moving car, slow walkers aren't that different.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
I think it still applies today. There's nothing to suggest that JFK was "referring to the bureaucracy more than anything else." Was he also referring to the bureaucracy when he said "Washington" was a city of "northern charm?" Why would he be referring to the city in the first part of his quote, but only to the "bureaucracy" in the second part of his quote? Besides, DC was a government town back then, and it's a government town today, and government workers aren't exactly known for their work ethic and urgency to get things done.

Quote:
What does that have to do with being "fast paced?"

Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
I largely agree with this. I'm not sure what the "northeastern mentality" is either, but it doesn't really exist in DC, particularly if you're accounting for the whole entire District. If your life is largely confined to the tony sections of the city and the region's more affluent (and white) suburbs, then yeah, you might see things differently. But the reality is that most of DC is not like the tony sections (the city is still at least 49% AA). I mean, a drive up Nannie Helen Burroughs or Martin Luther King will quickly put any notions of a "northeast mentality" to rest.

So which Washington "counts?" Are we discussing only the gentrified parts? Or are we talking about the whole city?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:57 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I largely agree with this. I'm not sure what the "northeastern mentality" is either, but it doesn't really exist in DC, particularly if you're accounting for the whole entire District. If your life is largely confined to the tony sections of the city and the region's more affluent (and white) suburbs, then yeah, you might see things differently. But the reality is that most of DC is not like the tony sections (the city is still at least 49% AA). I mean, a drive up Nannie Helen Burroughs or Martin Luther King will quickly put any notions of a "northeast mentality" to rest.

So which Washington "counts?" Are we discussing only the gentrified parts? Or are we talking about the whole city?
D.C. definitely offers a different experience depending on which side of the river you live on. The S.E. side of D.C. across the river is nothing like the hustle and bustle with a crane on every corner D.C. is known for today. The question is, how long will that last? Well, that was fun, but even that is now fading away. Washington D.C. is the kind of city in 2013 that changes by the hour, even S.E. D.C. across the river:

Within the last month:

Downtown Anacostia Redevelopment:
Long-awaited redevelopment in Anacostia could begin soon - Greater Greater Washington

Anacostia Streetcar:
TheWashCycle: Anacostia Streetcar narrowed to 2 options, one with a bike trail

Barry Farms Redevelopment:
RFP/RFQ Detail
D.C. seeks development team for $400M Barry Farm overhaul - Washington Business Journal

Anacostia Metro Station Parking Lots:
Metro to consider seeking development partners at properties near 11 stations - Washington Post

Congress Heights Metro Station Development:
Large Mixed-Use Development Coming to Congress Heights Metro

St. Elizabeth Development Beginning:
St. Elizabeths food pavilion construction begins - Washington Business Journal
Microsoft among three firms bidding to anchor St. E's east - Washington Business Journal
http://www.stelizabethseast.com/

Old 07-23-2013, 01:20 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
This thread has turned into pure comedy. Some of you east coast boosters are in dire need of a reality check.
Your city "DOESN'T J-WALK." Case closed.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:22 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Are we really arguing that Georgetown is globally famous because of a college basketball team, even though college basketball is almost unknown outside the U.S.?

And DC being compared to London? LOL!

Hmmmmm. Georgetown's Bball team got into a fight with a Chinese team a few years back and it made international news. Basketball in general is very popular all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City