Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:20 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times

Advertisements

Well, this has become kind of childish. It's was a fun diversion for a few mintues though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,956 times
Of course Georgetown is a more well known and highly regarded school than UofC... it has a better basketball program! Just like Kansas, Connecticut, Indiana, Louisville, Michigan State, Ohio State, Villanova and many many more. UofC can't hold a candle to any of these schools, all those obscure and irrelevant academic rankings be damned.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:24 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You've never spent considerable time in either or you would know that's not true. You and that other guy don't seem to get out much.

I didn't mean ghost town. I meant ratchet. S.E. D.C. is building brand new nice buildings. Chicago's Southside....well.....yeah...

Old 07-23-2013, 02:27 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
How do you find out about the U of C if you aren't a nerd. How does the average Joe walking down the street in Louisville find out about it? I can give you ten reasons why more people know about Gtown.
You said that Bill Clinton being associated with Georgetown caused people to know Georgetown. By your logic, wouldn't Obama's connection to U of C make it known as well?

All of your reasons about GT probably include college basketball (which nobody in the rest of the world is following). C'mon son!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:28 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakal View Post
If the South Side "looks like Detroit" (obviously you've been to neither place), why is it still about as dense as D.C?

Don't use hyperbole if you don't know what you're talking about.

I really enjoy and like D.C., and as a black person, agree that it does have amazing opportunited for African Americans. However, D.C. is nowhere near as urban as Chicago. Not by a long shot. But that does NOT make it inferior or lesser to Chicago. Some of you seem to have that notion in your heads of hyper-urban = always better. If you play that game in D.C. vs. Chicago, D.C. is going to lose.

I meant the Southside of Chicago looks ratchet. It is run down. I was saying D.C. is building brand new buildings in the run down area's in the city. Chicago's Southside will be......well....the same....for the foreseeable future. Put this back into context. I was responding to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
To me DC seemed like a small town with suburbs on steroids, and even all these new developments going on are making the area look more cookie cutter by the minute.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
If the South Side "looks like Detroit" (obviously you've been to neither place), why is it still about as dense as D.C?

Don't use hyperbole if you don't know what you're talking about.

I really enjoy and like D.C., and as a black person, agree that it does have amazing opportunited for African Americans. However, D.C. is nowhere near as urban as Chicago. Not by a long shot. But that does NOT make it inferior or lesser to Chicago. Some of you seem to have that notion in your heads of hyper-urban = always better. If you play that game in D.C. vs. Chicago, D.C. is going to lose.
So, do you believe that the Southside of Chicago is urban? Because it more suburban than any east coast city. DC has suburban areas as well but not over a huge area like the southside. DC does not have strip malls running for miles and miles or big box stores with parking lots all over the place. Walmart tried to come to DC and it didn't workout. Chicago is very urban. I have been there plenty of times and the Loop is super urban. The northside is urban but it's no different from neighborhoods like Dupont Circle, U street and Logan Circle in DC just to name a few. DC also has the rowhouse factor that Chicago doesn't have. The West side and the Southside of Chicago are very suburban. Pound for pound, DC is just as urban as Chicago in places but not as urban as the Loop and parts of the Lakefront. But DC, doesn't have the huge suburban areas that Chicago has either. Chicago has a ton of surface parking lots too.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,073 times
Translation: size intimidates you. Typical for a small towner like you.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
You said that Bill Clinton being associated with Georgetown caused people to know Georgetown. By your logic, wouldn't Obama's connection to U of C make it known as well?

All of your reasons about GT probably include college basketball (which nobody in the rest of the world is following). C'mon son!

If I am a plumber in Nashville, how would I know about the U of C? No one can seem to answer my question. The U of C is a great school. That's not the question. However, it does not have the same name recognition as a Harvard, MIT, Yale, Cornell, etc. I am not saying that they are better because I don't have a clue about that. They just have better name recognition. Hence Georgetown. It doesn't rank as high but it does have more name recognition with the masses. Most people outside of the MW, academia and this board can't tell me 5 things about the U of C.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:34 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,941 times
Oh, and one more thing:

District of Columbia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

The median household income is $61k with an average home price of $443k. That doesn't add up. The poverty rate is 18% which is similar to Chicago's.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
Translation: size intimidates you. Typical for a small towner like you.
Where have you been? I thought Public Enemy was on tour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City