Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: D.C. vs. Chicago
D.C. 153 41.35%
Chicago 217 58.65%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Your city "DOESN'T J-WALK." Case closed.

I think you may have Chicago confused with Las Vegas or Los Angeles. Anyway, the last time I visited Washington DC I was not impressed. The place was a real disappointment. It seemed like a small town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 01:28 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,154,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I spent years tutoring the children of the nouveau riche abroad in various countries and what you're saying is ridiculous. Georgetown is relatively low on the totem pole and definitely nowhere near University of Chicago. DePaul is pretty much a non-factor. Northwestern gets a pass, but it's rare for people to find it more desirable than the University of Chicago except for very specific subjects. Your post here is just plain silly.

You've way overreached here, and writing that with such confidence makes me suspicious of your other posts. Have you ever lived outside of DC before?

The drivel you posted doesn't address anything I posted. I didn't say GTown was better just more well known by the masses. Most people don't know anything about the U of C! How would they know anything about it unless they are nerds. Georgetown U is famous for being in one of the most chic and upscale neighborhoods on the East Coast once home of the Kennedy's, media moguls, famous politicians, international newsmakers, Alumni Bill Clinton and the setting of famous movies like the Exorcist. And of course it's Bball team.

If I didn't get a 1600 on my SAT, how would I know about the U of C?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM

517 posts, read 677,867 times
Quote:
The drivel you posted doesn't address anything I posted. I didn't say GTown was better just more well known by the masses. Most people don't know anything about the U of C! How would they know anything about it unless they are nerds. Georgetown U is famous for being in one of the most chic and upscale neighborhoods on the East Coast, that featured the likes of the Kennedy's, Alumni Bill Clinton, famous movies like the Exorcist and it's Bball team.

If I didn't get a 1600 on my SAT, how would I know about the U of C?
Georgetown (the neighborhood) is hardly "one of the most chic and upscale neighborhoods on the East Coast), the Kennedys aren't associated with Georgetown, the Exorcist movie never mentions Georgetown, and the basketball team plays downtown.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I think you may have Chicago confused with Las Vegas or Los Angeles. Anyway, the last time I visited Washington DC I was not impressed. The place was a real disappointment. It seemed like a small town.
Compared to Chicago it is small but it comes in well ahead of Chicago in a bevy of categories.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Compared to Chicago it is small but it comes in well ahead of Chicago in a bevy of categories.
Such as? Chicago is a much more active city with much better food, better nightlife and a far superior urban envirnoment. You are one misinformed booster. You're kind of amusing with your hubris though.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM

507 posts, read 806,605 times
To me DC seemed like a small town with suburbs on steroids, and even all these new developments going on are making the area look more cookie cutter by the minute.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Georgetown (the neighborhood) is hardly "one of the most chic and upscale neighborhoods on the East Coast), the Kennedys aren't associated with Georgetown, the Exorcist movie never mentions Georgetown, and the basketball team plays downtown.
You should be banned for being so misinformed!

Best-Kept Secret Neighborhoods

CNBC story on the top neighborhoods in the US. Mentions Tribeca, Beverly Hills and Georgetown. You do know that the average price for a 3 bedroom rowhouse in Georgetown starts in the millions.

5 Georgetown Locations Rich in Kennedy History | Homes | Washingtonian

JFK lived in Georgetown for a number of years working as a Senator!

Film locations for The Exorcist (1973)

In the movie, the Regan's mother is an actress filming on Georgetown's campus. Father Damian who performs the exorcism works for the University.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 PM

517 posts, read 677,867 times
Quote:
Such as? Chicago is a much more active city with much better food, better nightlife and a far superior urban envirnoment. You are one misinformed booster. You're kind of amusing with your hubris though.
DC arguably has an equal or better urban environment, though. It's close, and depends on what you value. DC is more consistently urban and less car-oriented, with fewer gaps, but Chicago has a larger core, and the urbanity stretches further.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
per capita income
disposable income after taxes
higher salaries
real estate
international investment
jobs
higher percentage of transportation usage
diversity
educated populace

Old 07-23-2013, 01:46 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
These are very objective. For instance, taking the L' can't be compared to taking the metro, completely different experiences. Walking or biking through extreme cold and wind in Chicago is not condusive to urban life for most people outside of Chicago. As for nightlife, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City