Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city has the most vibrant caribbean culture
new york city 23 25.27%
maimi 67 73.63%
boston 0 0%
new jersey 1 1.10%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:23 PM

428 posts, read 831,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
it is not too vague.

visit nyc and see for yourself.

i don't see how 800k puerto ricans, 650+k dominicans, countless west indians that aren't latino, etc. etc. i don't see how those equal vagueness.

so we don't have palm trees or hot weather all year around. ok but what do you have to say about all those west indians that set up shop here and carved a niche in this city, altering the culture forever??

west indians and nyc go hand in hand. we could not be who we are without west indians, PERIOD.

gentrification is killing nyc IMO. the nyc i know is west indian in nature anyway...so when ppl talk about how miami is dominated by west indian culture and nyc is not, i don't get it.

my neighborhood smells like west indian food. my area is full of west indians (and other ethnicities but the east indians and the guyanese indians (of east indian decent) own EVERYTHING HERE).

i eat beef patties. i go to bodegas. etc. etc. i hear indian music being played at 2am in the morning from neighbors from guyana. i grew up around haitians and have eaten with my haitian neighbors, i was baby sat, etc. by them. its nothing to see ppl cutting sugar cane here. its nothing to hear reggae at all hours here. my aunt is from belize as well. she moved here decades ago. like do you realize how many west indian nations are represented here????

like i have to lol at ppl that don't know what they're talking about commenting on nyc not being dominated by this culture.

nyc is very european but it is very west indian as well. period. if you don't understand that then visit.
I'd have to say they'd be correct to say Miami is more influenced by West Indian culture than NYC, due to Miami's size and it being dominated by a somewhat similar culture in Hispanic culture. Neither city is close to being dominated by West Indian culture, NYC has about four other more influential cultures and Miami is dominated by Hispanic culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 09:37 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
I'd have to say they'd be correct to say Miami is more influenced by West Indian culture than NYC, due to Miami's size and it being dominated by a somewhat similar culture in Hispanic culture. Neither city is close to being dominated by West Indian culture, NYC has about four other more influential cultures and Miami is dominated by Hispanic culture.
VERY good point, I don't think ANYBODY thought of it that way. You think outside the box.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
VERY good point, I don't think ANYBODY thought of it that way. You think outside the box.
When you divide it between West Indian and Hispanic, yeah. If you just say Caribbean I'm going to include Cuba, DR, PR, and whoever else into that equation.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:20 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
When you divide it between West Indian and Hispanic, yeah. If you just say Caribbean I'm going to include Cuba, DR, PR, and whoever else into that equation.
exactly. and when i say caribbean i mean west indian which includes hispanics from the caribbean, so...

and nyc = asian, european, african american, and west indian. there are no other dominate groups.

i would lump african americans and west indians in one category, with asians and europeans in seperate categories, as far as influence.

that may be nyc specific, tho.

someone should create a map that shows the cultural dominance as far as groups in nyc (and miami). west indian influence is all over each borough in large amounts with european influence only concentrated in certain pockets and an increasing asian influence as seen with chinatown taking over parts of little italy and chinatown in flushing being almost as large as chinatown in manhattan.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:39 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,473,685 times
Quote:
yes.

i'm also saying that ppl that haven't been to nyc are underestimating the caribbean population here.

its massive.
LMFAO what kind of retarded logic is that?! So I guess the US has better Irish culture here than Ireland does since there are only 4 million people in Ireland but there's over 40 million Irish in the US.

NYC homers know no bounds. If Miami is one step away from being an actual Caribbean city, it really doesn't matter how much NYC outnumbers it in population. Maybe there are even more people in attendance at NYC's parades, but this is what Miami specializes in. NYC is about so much more. But for you clowns its always gotta be a contest where NY takes the prize or else your panties get all in a twist. You're just being ridiculous here.

Quote:
Guess those 650k ish Dominicans in NYC would feel more at home in Miami.
Sounds to me like you guessed right! THIS time.

Quote:
Also u are not from NYC mike so u probably haven't been to areas that I am talking about. U did not grow up here.
LOL @ this guy arguing with a dude FROM the Caribbean about which city has the better Caribbean culture! SMH

Quote:
If that's the case then Hawaii is more puerto rican than ny is.
Yeah, keep evading the actual point. Maybe if you keep pretending not to understand the point will just disappear and your claims can somehow become reality.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
You're basically saying that if 15 ppl lives in Hawaii and all 15 were say...puerto rican then the state of Hawaii would be more puerto rican than nyc which has almost 1 million puerto ricans in it. All because of climate.

Lol at this bull.
Its not ALL b/c of climate, genius, and quit acting like you don't know that. You're sticking to pretending that's all people are basing this on here so you can keep trying to boost NY. Its about how abundant and dominant the Caribbean culture is throughout almost all of Miami, IN ADDITION TO the climate being just like in the Caribbean vs. NYC having it in certain areas. Playing dumb here isn't gonna win you this one, sorry.

Quote:
So forget all the contributions that ny made to Latin America. Forget the incredibly large sections that dwarf neighborhoods in Miami, forget that there are more west Indians in NYC than there ppl in Miami, forget all of that!!
We might as well since you've conveniently forgotten that Miami is the headquarters of Latin American media and everything else that has it winning this poll! Forget everything then!!

Old 05-18-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Mike, more ppl from more Caribbean nations means nothing because Miami is hot. Wow.
No that means EVERYTHING and Miami practically being a Caribbean city means nothing b/c NYC has a bunch of Dominicans. WOW.

Quote:
Nola, stay in the heights or east Harlem and then talk to me about dominance. And contributions to Latin culture dont matter now? Lol at this.
Why don't you tell him to stay in the UES or the LES or The Village or Midtown or the UWS or Chinatown or Bensonhurst or Williamsburg or Sunset Park or Staten or Flushing or...??

Oh, ok.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:14 AM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
LMFAO what kind of retarded logic is that?! So I guess the US has better Irish culture here than Ireland does since there are only 4 million people in Ireland but there's over 40 million Irish in the US.
only a "retard" using "retarded logic" would take something out of context and make something up to try to prove his or her point.

Quote:
NYC homers know no bounds. If Miami is one step away from being an actual Caribbean city, it really doesn't matter how much NYC outnumbers it in population. Maybe there are even more people in attendance at NYC's parades, but this is what Miami specializes in. NYC is about so much more. But for you clowns its always gotta be a contest where NY takes the prize or else your panties get all in a twist. You're just being ridiculous here.
the only one acting feminine is you.

nobody was even talking to you. nobody mentioned your name, nothing and you run in this thread and can't wait to bash nyc. as usual.

you've already pulled the ireland comparison out of dark regions, what other tricks do you have for us, clown?

again, take what i said into context. nyc has caribbean culture EMBEDDED in it. ask nyers how they live day to day and what their neighborhoods look like. the majority of us live in areas with caribbean influence. at least those of us in bk, queens and the bronx.

Quote:
LOL @ this guy arguing with a dude FROM the Caribbean about which city has the better Caribbean culture! SMH
lol @ you acting like a kid in an adult conversation.

mike speaks from someone from miami's standpoint and i speak as a nyer. ppl have no idea of what its like to live in ny but want to give miami the title by default because of what they've heard. i was giving them what ny is like from a nyers standpoint, something that he wouldn't see as a visitor.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 AM
eek

Quote:
Its not ALL b/c of climate, genius, and quit acting like you don't know that. You're sticking to pretending that's all people are basing this on here so you can keep trying to boost NY. Its about how abundant and dominant the Caribbean culture is throughout almost all of Miami, IN ADDITION TO the climate being just like in the Caribbean vs. NYC having it in certain areas. Playing dumb here isn't gonna win you this one, sorry.
again, speak when spoken to. the ppl were saying that climate means that its more caribbean than ny is, despite all the things that i've said about the caribbean influence in ny, such as salsa music, the reggae scene, all types of bodegas, entire areas being run by west indians, non west indians eating west indian food daily, listening to west indian music, etc.

despite the millions of west indians that live here and have altered nyc forever. despite the many languages and the representation here ppl wanted to give this to miami because of climate. that was foolish IMO.

Quote:
We might as well since you've conveniently forgotten that Miami is the headquarters of Latin American media and everything else that has it winning this poll! Forget everything then!!
this poll isn't scientific. perhaps you're hitting your head too much. maybe if you one more time you'll some sense into it???

Old 05-18-2010, 11:21 AM
eek

Quote:
No that means EVERYTHING and Miami practically being a Caribbean city means nothing b/c NYC has a bunch of Dominicans. WOW.
mike is this your alternate account? no? then why is this guy answering for you??

nyc has more than a bunch of dominicans. nyc has more of a representation of west indians than miami will EVER have.

go ahead. your head again. maybe you'll start to understand instead of bashing anything nyc on cd.

Quote:
Why don't you tell him to stay in the UES or the LES or The Village or Midtown or the UWS or Chinatown or Bensonhurst or Williamsburg or Sunset Park or Staten or Flushing or...??

Oh, ok.
because the UES, the LES, the village and midtown ARE THE MINORITY. the majority of us live in areas like the entire bronx, like jackson heights, elmhurst, corono, jamaica, parts of brooklyn, etc.

this is what happens when someone that thinks they know something posts, bashing a city they have no idea about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City