Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: food orgasm:
New Orleans 96 56.80%
Los Angeles 73 43.20%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 03:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Do you realize that's like me going to a single restaurant in LA and writing off everything as imitation cultured food if I happened to not like the only thing I ate?
I'm not writing it off, I'm just saying, judging by the three dishes I had (two at this well-known place in New Orleans and one in Disneyland) it's not my style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
LA has a massive food scene. Of course! Its the second largest city in the US, in the state that produces the most and best fruits/veggies of all kinds, has great livestock, seafood, and tons of ethnic diversity. New Orleans is a regional food treasure, but LA just dwarfs it in terms of variety.....
Clearly you've never had mango in India. Or bananas in Ghana. Or coconut in Barbados. The produce in California is far from being the best "best fruit/veggies of all kinds."

Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 AM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
I don't understand why just because New Orleans is known for a certain kind of food nobody can also see that we have a very diverse mix of restaurants for a city of our size. We have loads of Vietnemese restaurants and people. There is a pseudo-vietnemese village in New Orleans East. We used to have a "Little Italy" in the Lower French Quarter and have many many people of Italian descent who own restaurants in the city. The list goes on and on for historical immigration in this city, hence the "cultural gumbo". One of my favorite places to eat in New Orleans is a Lebanese restaurant Mona's. Believe it or not, I've hardly ever eaten at creole places in NOLA and I go out to eat a lot. Most of us have better recipes for creole food at our homes.

We have Irish restaurants, Indian, Japanese, Vietnemese, Chinese, Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Thai, Mexican, Spanish, French, Korean, Soul-food, delis, fusion restaurants, American, French bakeries, dozens of independent coffee shops, po-boy shops.

Basically, we are a city that LOVES food. All kinds. We have so many different options on top of Creole food. Like I said, I've lived in this city my entire life and I've barely ever eaten creole food at a restaurant. We are not one dimensional just because we do have a certain cuisine that we are known for. That would be like me saying that Philly food is horrible because I dont really care for philly cheese steak (which I don't btw). But that would be ridiculous.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
I don't understand why just because New Orleans is known for a certain kind of food nobody can also see that we have a very diverse mix of restaurants for a city of our size. We have loads of Vietnemese restaurants and people. There is a pseudo-vietnemese village in New Orleans East. We used to have a "Little Italy" in the Lower French Quarter and have many many people of Italian descent who own restaurants in the city. The list goes on and on for historical immigration in this city, hence the "cultural gumbo". One of my favorite places to eat in New Orleans is a Lebanese restaurant Mona's. Believe it or not, I've hardly ever eaten at creole places in NOLA and I go out to eat a lot. Most of us have better recipes for creole food at our homes.

We have Irish restaurants, Indian, Japanese, Vietnemese, Chinese, Italian, Greek, Lebanese, Thai, Mexican, Spanish, French, Korean, Soul-food, delis, fusion restaurants, American, French bakeries, dozens of independent coffee shops, po-boy shops.

Basically, we are a city that LOVES food. All kinds. We have so many different options on top of Creole food. Like I said, I've lived in this city my entire life and I've barely ever eaten creole food at a restaurant. We are not one dimensional just because we do have a certain cuisine that we are known for. That would be like me saying that Philly food is horrible because I dont really care for philly cheese steak (which I don't btw). But that would be ridiculous.
NOLA seems to be leading the poll...primarily because everyone seems to have a love affair with Creole/Louisiana food, as if that's enough to make it better than a big city like LA with such a diverse array of good food?

You can find more of the cuisines you mention in LA. Is the Indian, Italian.etc in NOLA really better than what you'd find in LA? If so you'd have a good case, but I think LA is probably just as good or better. LA has a more diverse range. In terms of Asian food I'm pretty sure LA comes out on top. Mexican is a no-brainer. Again, I fail to see how New Orleans can beat Los Angeles overall as a better 'foodie' city.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:09 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
NOLA seems to be leading the poll...primarily because everyone seems to have a love affair with Creole/Louisiana food, as if that's enough to make it better than a big city like LA with such a diverse array of good food?

You can find more of the cuisines you mention in LA. Is the Indian, Italian.etc in NOLA really better than what you'd find in LA? If so you'd have a good case, but I think LA is probably just as good or better. LA has a more diverse range. In terms of Asian food I'm pretty sure LA comes out on top. Mexican is a no-brainer. Again, I fail to see how New Orleans can beat Los Angeles overall as a better 'foodie' city.
I'm from Los Angeles, and recognize why LA isn't winning here. It's not because I hate LA, but for a city of its size, NOLA has contributed DISPROPORTIONATELY to the culinary world in a way that LA hasn't, at least yet.

Keep in mind that NOLA has been a major city way longer than LA has, so the 'originality' coming from LA isn't as known just yet.

A lot of what we create nowadays is fusion foods, such as Korean Taco Trucks, "California _______", etc. but it hasn't had that much time to develop just yet.

I will say that LA's lower to middle price restaurants are awesome. It's at the higher end that LA is severely lacking, which is why most magazines and a huge chunk of food critics don't mention LA yet in conjunction with "NYC, SF, Chicago" when it comes to food.

Going ethnic food hopping here is fun though, even if it can be done in other cities, simply because the food is more geared toward the immigrants themselves and is bound to be cheaper than some high-end ethnic restaurant. Hell, I went from eating Persian to Korean to Ethiopian in one day, giving my stomach a cacophony I will never forget. But really, this can be done in almost any city. The volume and proximity is what makes LA great for ethnic food hopping (the Persian, Korean, and Ethiopian were 3 blocks from each other)

I will say: Los Angeles WILL probably be the 'fusion' capital of the United States.

Personally, I hate fusion food. But yeah, it is what it is. If some Angelenos can direct me to some good ones that aren't worth an arm and a leg to eat at, I will try it. Otherwise, $15 for a Korean Veggie Burrito sounds like the hugest rip-off since Enron was in business....

Old 10-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I'm from Los Angeles, and recognize why LA isn't winning here. It's not because I hate LA, but for a city of its size, NOLA has contributed DISPROPORTIONATELY to the culinary world in a way that LA hasn't, at least yet.

Keep in mind that NOLA has been a major city way longer than LA has, so the 'originality' coming from LA isn't as known just yet.

A lot of what we create nowadays is fusion foods, such as Korean Taco Trucks, "California _______", etc. but it hasn't had that much time to develop just yet.

I will say that LA's lower to middle price restaurants are awesome. It's at the higher end that LA is severely lacking, which is why most magazines and a huge chunk of food critics don't mention LA yet in conjunction with "NYC, SF, Chicago" when it comes to food.

Going ethnic food hopping here is fun though, even if it can be done in other cities, simply because the food is more geared toward the immigrants themselves and is bound to be cheaper than some high-end ethnic restaurant. Hell, I went from eating Persian to Korean to Ethiopian in one day, giving my stomach a cacophony I will never forget. But really, this can be done in almost any city. The volume and proximity is what makes LA great for ethnic food hopping (the Persian, Korean, and Ethiopian were 3 blocks from each other)

I will say: Los Angeles WILL probably be the 'fusion' capital of the United States.

Personally, I hate fusion food. But yeah, it is what it is. If some Angelenos can direct me to some good ones that aren't worth an arm and a leg to eat at, I will try it. Otherwise, $15 for a Korean Veggie Burrito sounds like the hugest rip-off since Enron was in business....
You have a point...I will say New Orleans has a better range of street-food outlets. Aside from Creole food there is Cajun, stuff like po-boys and other French/Spanish/African influenced cuisine. I suppose it also has more of the barbeque/soul food thing as well. Maybe it's not as one-sided as I imagined, but I'm still surprised NOLA is so far ahead.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 AM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times
I'm not so sure. Los Angeles used to have a Michelin guide also like SF/Chi/NYC... maybe it was a lack of sales that they discontinued it.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:35 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
Really? Care to explain?
Cajuns-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajuns
Creoles-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Creole_people

Apparently LA county has a large population of creoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post

+50
People seem, no people DO forget that.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:41 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,909 times
New Orleans has the best food in the USA, sorry LA but the fact is just the facts. How many LA style restaurants you see in other cities compared to NOLA

Old 10-23-2011, 01:58 PM

815 posts, read 1,857,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
New Orleans has the best food in the USA, sorry LA but the fact is just the facts. How many LA style restaurants you see in other cities compared to NOLA
OK, now we are stretching it.

Anyway ...
pound for pound New Orleans kills LA
raw numbers, LA kills New Orleans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City