Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
AZ is going to eventually run out of water, that's one problem MN will never have to worry about. IMO, MN is infinitely more livable than AZ, I abhor desert climates and really hot weather. It's just so unnatural. Humans were never meant to live in deserts, we're not rattlesnakes.
Humans have always lived in deserts since leaving Africa. All the earliest civilizations started in deserts/dry climates. We're not going to just run out of water for ever. It isn't like there's some finite amount and once it's gone it's gone. It does rain here too. Unnatural is the amount of fuel required to stay warm and alive in the far northern winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 10:12 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,316 times
I would pick Arizona there's plenty of water it does rain in the summer during Monsoon season and i've found that if you have a Misting system on your patio it helps atleast when i've been out in Phoenix and sat out on the patio's at the restaurants that have them.

http://www.azmistsystems.com/

https://www.srpnet.com/Default.aspx

http://www.visitphoenix.com/index.aspx

http://www.phoenixchamber.com/

http://www.ci.tucson.az.us/water/

http://www.visittucson.org/

http://www.tucsonchamber.org/

Last edited by bgrn198; 05-16-2010 at 10:41 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 10:41 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
I would pick Arizona, too.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,052,083 times
Quote:
AZ is going to eventually run out of water, that's one problem MN will never have to worry about. IMO, MN is infinitely more livable than AZ, I abhor desert climates and really hot weather. It's just so unnatural. Humans were never meant to live in deserts, we're not rattlesnakes.
There is nothing unnatural about liking hot weather. I could say the same about cold weather.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:52 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Ha, I know exactly what you mean. Try being from Minnesota. I've been asked "Do you live in igloos?, Do you take dog sleds to school?, Does Minnesota even get summers?, Do people in Minnesota even have pools?, Oh, there isn't snow on the ground year round?"
That randomly reminded me of the day I was sitting at my grandparents house in Iowa and a guy came running up to the front door with a big smile on his face. He was Pete Medina, and had just moved in nextdoor from southern New Mexico with his wife and two kids to go to the university in our city. They had never been north of New Mexico until they got in their car to Iowa.

I just remember how totally mesmorized they were at how GREEN everything was. They acted like they were in Oz. It was one of the first times I stopped and realized how different things must be for those living in different areas of our country.

I also laughed because they were SOOOOOO relieved that it wasn't below freezing and snowing a lot - because they hadn't bought coats yet. It was August 1st! The average highs were still in the mid-80's. I told them they had another 3 months before it started getting colder. In their minds they just assumed it must be cold all the time up north.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:53 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Humans have always lived in deserts since leaving Africa. All the earliest civilizations started in deserts/dry climates. We're not going to just run out of water for ever. It isn't like there's some finite amount and once it's gone it's gone. It does rain here too.
Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. There is a finite amount of freshwater in the world and you guys in the Southwest are using at a much faster rate than it it being replenished. The Ogalala Aquifer underneath much of the Rocky Mountain and the Great Plains states is nearly tapped, that's where most of the water for agriculture in the region comes from. The major metros in AZ, NV, and CA get their water from the Colorado River, which is getting lower every year as the snowpack decreases in the Colorado Rockies from lack of heavy snowfall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Unnatural is the amount of fuel required to stay warm and alive in the far northern winter.
Fuel? Unless you live in an old city like Boston or Pittsburgh, most homes in the North haven't used heating oil in decades. You do realize how much electricity is consumed by keeping your A/C going 24/7/365, right?

People adapted to living in colder climates long ago by dressing warm and building well insulated homes. You could still hunt animals in the winter, you could store vegetables in a root cellar, you could melt snow if there wasn't any running water.

People in places like Phoenix and Vegas didn't adapt to the land, they adapted the land to suit themselves. People in the Southwest aren't dressed in white linen gowns like people in Egypt, they wear whatever they want because they can just crank up the A/C if they get hot. Irrigating the landscape to be able to grow grass and play golf in the middle of the desert.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:03 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
There is nothing unnatural about liking hot weather. I could say the same about cold weather.
You could, but you would be wrong. Why are all the most intelligent, civilized countries like England, Canada, Japan, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, and Germany largely located in temperate climates, while hellholes like Sierra Leone, Somalia, El Salvador, Liberia, and Colombia are almost always located in warm climates? A look at our own country demonstrates this trend as well. Take notice of how the states near the top are mostly blue, while the states near the bottom are mostly red.

blue = temperate climate
red= warm climate

Best Educated Index statistics - states compared - StateMaster
# 1 Vermont: 17.58
# 2 Connecticut: 15.88
# 3 Massachusetts: 14.48
# 4 New Jersey: 12.55
# 5 Maine: 9.33
# 6 Minnesota: 8.97

# 7 Virginia: 8.47
# 8 Wisconsin: 8.45
# 9 Montana: 8.3
# 10 New York: 7.53
# 11 Pennsylvania: 6.76
# 12 Nebraska: 6.55
# 13 Kansas: 4.79
# 14 Iowa: 4.75
# 15 New Hampshire: 4.59
# 16 Rhode Island: 3.11
# 17 Wyoming: 2.39
# 18 South Dakota: 2.29
# 19 Maryland: 2.23
# 20 North Dakota: 2.06
# 21 Missouri: 1.93

# 22 North Carolina: 1.68
# 23 Colorado: -0.32
# 24 Texas: -0.44
# 25 Delaware: -0.93
# 26 Indiana: -1.34
# 27 Michigan: -1.41
# 28 Idaho: -1.46

# 29 South Carolina: -2.15
# 30 Washington: -2.17
# 31 Ohio: -2.73
# 32 Illinois: -3.07
# 33 Utah: -3.69

# 34 West Virginia: -3.77
# 35 Kentucky: -4.28
# 36 Florida: -4.41
# 37 Arkansas: -5.19

# 38 Oregon: -7.43
# 39 Oklahoma: -7.74
# 40 Georgia: -8.04
# 41 Tennessee: -8.48
# 42 Hawaii: -9.67
# 43 Alabama: -11.11

# 44 Alaska: -11.25
# 45 Louisiana: -11.56
# 46 California: -12.57
# 47 Nevada: -13.11
# 48 New Mexico: -13.37
# 49 Mississippi: -14.31
# 50 Arizona: -17.81

Old 05-17-2010, 11:26 AM

489 posts, read 1,324,415 times
Quote:
Fuel? Unless you live in an old city like Boston or Pittsburgh, most homes in the North haven't used heating oil in decades. You do realize how much electricity is consumed by keeping your A/C going 24/7/365, right?

People in places like Phoenix and Vegas didn't adapt to the land, they adapted the land to suit themselves. People in the Southwest aren't dressed in white linen gowns like people in Egypt, they wear whatever they want because they can just crank up the A/C if they get hot. Irrigating the landscape to be able to grow grass and play golf in the middle of the desert.
You sound ridiculous with these comments. First of all, I guarantee no one in the desert keeps the AC on 24/7/365. It is the middle of May, and I have not once turned on the AC since early September. That's already 8 months, and Im not planning to turn it on anytime soon. I can cool down my place by opening windows and using an overhead fan. Believe it or not, I even have a fireplace, an electric blanket, winter coats, and scarves for winter- now how would that make sense if us desert people were still cranking the AC in January?

Another ridiculous assumption is that we "wear whatever we want" in the summer and don't adapt our style of dress to the season because we have AC. Most people wear shorts or dresses, tank tops, sandals, and things like that during summer. Assuming we don't just shows your extreme lack of knowledge about the desert and those of us livig here. Your statement sounds as ignorant to me as a desert dweller would sound to you if they said that you northerners wear bathing suits and sandals all winter because you haven't bothered to adapt to the season since you have heaters.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 AM

489 posts, read 1,324,415 times
Your education stats don't prove anything either. Most northern states have a longer history of being developed and highly populated. Warmer states in the South and Southwest have only recently began to see huge increases in population and development, so it makes sense that the education system hasn't caught up yet. It has nothing to do with cold weather lovers being smarter. You are incredibly arrogant to say something like that. Besides, it is all these "smarter and more educated" northerners who are flocking in droves to the Sunbelt and increasing our population.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,694,896 times
I also don't think anyone should avoid a state because it is too hot or too cold. Me personally, I'd rather shiver than sweat so I'm going to say I'd rather put up with Minnesota cold rather than Arizona heat. They are both extreme but if you shiver, you are just cold and you can't sweat and lose fluids. Everyone's body is built for different types of weather. Day after day of Phoenix summers can wear a person out IMO if they are not built to handle the heat. Minnesota is cold in winter but you can prepare for it. And it should be no surprise to anyone why Minnesota residents live longer than in Arizona. The dust, heat and pollution can reduce life expectancy. Just do a search on Statemaster and you'll find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City