Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:29 PM

26 posts, read 47,564 times

Advertisements

I hear about this trio a lot, and I'd like to compare these areas.

I'm very interested in geography and United States' cities and I am looking into the central part of our country.

Please compare and contrast:

-Weather
-Culture
-Lifestyle
-Terrain/Elevation/Topography
-Metro
-Attitudes
-Economy
-Cost of living
-What the areas are known for and what the roots are
-Rank them IYO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 01:40 PM

26 posts, read 47,564 times
Know what, throw Wichita in there too. Completely forgot about that one.

I've heard a lot about these cities, but would like answers from a site I can trust. That's why I ask a lot here lol.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:54 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeslovak View Post
I hear about this trio a lot, and I'd like to compare these areas.

I'm very interested in geography and United States' cities and I am looking into the central part of our country.

Please compare and contrast:

-Weather
-Culture
-Lifestyle
-Terrain/Elevation/Topography
-Metro
-Attitudes
-Economy
-Cost of living
-What the areas are known for and what the roots are
-Rank them IYO
Omaha and Tulsa are both considerably smaller than KC therefore KC has a lot more to offer as far as amenities, cultural attractions, pro sports, amusement parks, theater, better connected airport etc. There is a lot more to do in KC. People from Tulsa and Omaha will often vacation in KC.

Other than that, they are very similar. The three have a lot in common. Very similar topography with rolling terrain and very green and wooded tree cover, they are all river cities, they are all midwestern (Tulsa is nothing like OKC and would have more in common with KC than OKC).

Tulsa is much more conservative than KC, but I still feel it's more midwestern than southern. Omaha really is a small KC in almost every way.

Weather would be similar in all three. Omaha would have slightly cooler summers and a bit more snow than KC. Tulsa the opposite. None are really in the violent heart of tornado alley like OKC or other parts of MO, KS and OK, but all will get some pretty impressive spring thunderstorms.

I would rank KC considerably higher than the other two mostly do to size and rank Omaha slightly above Tulsa because I think they have a more vibrant downtown.

Wichita is not a great town at all. Just not a lot going on there. Pretty run down, downtown is nearly empty most of the time, topography is more like what you would expect from KS or OK than the other cities. Pretty flat and bland. It's also in the state of Kansas which pretty much only cares about suburban Johnson County next to KCMO.

So:

Kansas City, MO

Omaha, NE

Tulsa, OK

Wichita, KS

Old 07-19-2017, 01:57 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times
I'll throw OKC in as well. I would say it works out about like this.

Kansas City
-------------
-------------
Omaha
Tulsa
-------------
-------------
Oklahoma City
-------------
Wichita

Old 07-20-2017, 06:56 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I prefer Tulsa

Old 07-20-2017, 09:04 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
All three are fantastic. Tulsa is very underrated. I pick Tulsa just for the nature nearby (Ozarks and the lakes) and the Art Deco. All three have fanatical and regressive state governments, however.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:49 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Weather: Tulsa
-Culture: Tulsa
-Lifestyle: Tulsa
-Terrain/Elevation/Topography: Tulsa
-Metro: Omaha
-Attitudes: Omaha
-Economy: Omhaha
-Cost of living: Tulsa
-What the areas are known for and what the roots are: ...
-Rank them IYO

Kansas City

Tulsa
Omaha

Oklahoma City

I would choose Tulsa because it is the nicest on the list. Omaha is also very nice.

Last edited by Shakeesha; 07-21-2017 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: I forgot to choose a city.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:20 AM

85 posts, read 92,063 times
Tulsa

Old 07-23-2017, 05:24 PM

90 posts, read 113,934 times
you really can't compare Tulsa, Omaha, or Witchita to KC. KC is a major city, while I believe the other 3 are medium sized cities who are still growing. Who wins this battle IMO? Kansas City, easily In my opinion sure Im biased but I like bigger cities (but not to big, I like 2mil to 3.5mil populated cities the best) better than medium cities. though of those 3 cities I think Omaha wins. It's very close between Omaha and Tulsa but Tulsa is dealing with some pretty bad crime right now so I guess Omaha wins. Though I like Tulsa... It is very underrated and has some parts that have a lot going for it. Witchita does not feel it's size. Not a whole lot going on there.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:16 PM

603 posts, read 931,727 times
Why are there so many Kansas City threads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City