Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: 2nd Busiest Downtown?
Los Angeles 8 3.59%
Chicago 104 46.64%
Dallas 2 0.90%
Philadelphia 24 10.76%
Houston 5 2.24%
Miami 5 2.24%
DC 19 8.52%
Atlanta 3 1.35%
San Francisco 38 17.04%
Boston 11 4.93%
Seattle 4 1.79%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:58 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican773 View Post
Even though Chicago is crowded and busy,you don't hear alot of car beeping at each other,it seems that people in Chicago have alot more respect for each other then NYers have for themselves and their city.In NY of the littlest reason they're beeping and in Chicago,yea sometimes there is alot of beeping and honking but its nowhere near the level of the rudeness of New York.That isn't a shot at New York, I just find it rude to get honked at for no reason.
Ya but how consistent is chicagos hustle and bustle. Does chicago have good hustle and bustle outside the loop like ny does? The other four boroughs have hustle and bustle aswell. Fordham road is one of the busiest shopping streets in the world busier than regal street in london, and thats in the Bronx. You gotta factor in queens,downtown brooklyn etc. Brooklyn has the same population as chicago, ny is on another level

On top of that, manhattan's HandB is persistant from midtown all the way to downtown on almost every avenue and street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 04:54 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
Quote:
Even though Chicago is crowded and busy,you don't hear alot of car beeping at each other,it seems that people in Chicago have alot more respect for each other then NYers have for themselves and their city.In NY of the littlest reason they're beeping and in Chicago,yea sometimes there is alot of beeping and honking but its nowhere near the level of the rudeness of New York.That isn't a shot at New York, I just find it rude to get honked at for no reason.
This is because Chicago is not as crowded as NYC. In NYC people do not get honked at for any reason. There is always a reason. The light is green and you see people crossing like they own the street. Also they take their time when they cross. It is unbelievable. This is one of the many reasons that there is road rage in NYC.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:41 AM

85 posts, read 108,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Ya but how consistent is chicagos hustle and bustle. Does chicago have good hustle and bustle outside the loop like ny does? The other four boroughs have hustle and bustle aswell. Fordham road is one of the busiest shopping streets in the world busier than regal street in london, and thats in the Bronx. You gotta factor in queens,downtown brooklyn etc. Brooklyn has the same population as chicago, ny is on another level

On top of that, manhattan's HandB is persistant from midtown all the way to downtown on almost every avenue and street
Yea, there is hustle and bustle out side of the loop. Look at all the neighborhoods in the north side, they all have are very dense, most of them are above 20,000 per sq mi. So yea, most neighborhoods in the north side are busy, the south side not so much. Like i said, Chicago is the busiest city your going to find outside of NY, LA is too spread out and suburban. And Brooklyn isn't the same size as Chicago. PPL say it has 2.8 million but that just a estimate. Only 70% of Chicagoans participated in the 2000 census. And the other 30%? And Chicago has 450,000 illegal immigrants living inside the city limits. I would say about 4 million people live in Chicago. That's why Chicago feels like a big city and it's the closest thing to NY. If their is like 2 familys living in a apartment to save money, they only put 3 ppl in the census forms to avoid getting a visit by the city inspectors. That's why ppl stay outside in the porch, becuase it's too crowded!

So yea, visit Chicago and you'll see what i'm talking about! We make LA look like a suburb!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:45 AM

85 posts, read 108,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
This is because Chicago is not as crowded as NYC. In NYC people do not get honked at for any reason. There is always a reason. The light is green and you see people crossing like they own the street. Also they take their time when they cross. It is unbelievable. This is one of the many reasons that there is road rage in NYC.
Yea,that happens alot here too, where the light turns green and people are still crossing the street, then someone behind you beeps at you. What are you suposse to do? Run the ppl over? I don't beep at ppl like that, but like i said it happens less.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Atlanta is smaller than Boston except by MSA:

Atlanta Proper: 537,938
Atlanta MSA: 5,475,213
Atlanta CSA: 5,831,778

Boston Proper: 620,535
Boston MSA: 4,588,680
Boston CSA: 7,609,358

I've only been there once, and I liked it quite a bit. It definitely has a true claim to being a major and significant urban area. I did not see it as more crowded or fast paced than Boston, though.
Wait...did that dude you quoted say Atlanta's downtown was busier than Boston's!? Haha! Now I've seen everything!

Boston's DT is much larger by resident population, worker population, office space...and it's done in a considerably smaller space. I wonder what that guy's logic was...

Old 05-25-2010, 01:25 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtParkRican312 View Post
Brooklyn isn't the same size as Chicago. PPL say it has 2.8 million but that just a estimate. Only 70% of Chicagoans participated in the 2000 census. And the other 30%? And Chicago has 450,000 illegal immigrants living inside the city limits. I would say about 4 million people live in Chicago. That's why Chicago feels like a big city and it's the closest thing to NY. If their is like 2 familys living in a apartment to save money, they only put 3 ppl in the census forms to avoid getting a visit by the city inspectors. That's why ppl stay outside in the porch, becuase it's too crowded!

So yea, visit Chicago and you'll see what i'm talking about! We make LA look like a suburb!
This whole paragraph is non-sense, with a bunch of assumptions, and nothing said here is exclusive to Chicago.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Actually Chicago is a known immigrant safe grounds... he is right about the illegals, I am not sure about 4 mil...that is pushing it. I would say it is over 3 though plus chicago is one extremely connected city region unlike others and lots of people come in, everything radiates out from the core, 8 subway lines, 13 suburban rail lines and 6 interstates all come together in the downtown area

Last edited by grapico; 05-29-2010 at 12:53 PM..

Old 05-29-2010, 01:00 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
chicago is one extremely connected city region unlike others and lots of people come in, everything radiates out from the core, 8 subway lines, 13 suburban rail lines and 6 interstates all come together in the downtown area
But while it may be true of the Downtown and points north. Downtown Chicago doesnt seem very well connected to the westside of the city or the south side imo.

I mean in the sense that the transition between Downtown and the neighborhoods is not as seamless as it is in San Francisco. In SF, Downtown and the neighborhoods overlap into each other and that makes for a really great overall city experience.

I think it has to do with SF being so small and compact, there are no real industrial areas that separate Downtown from the neighborhoods in any direction.

On the other hand, Chicago is so big that the Downtown Area is so large that you have enough urban life close to Downtown that you don't really need to venture out whereas in SF, you really have to.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:03 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
But while it may be true of the Downtown and points north. Downtown Chicago doesnt seem very well connected to the westside of the city or the south side imo.

I mean in the sense that the transition between Downtown and the neighborhoods is not as seamless as it is in San Francisco. In SF, Downtown and the neighborhoods overlap into each other and that makes for a really great overall city experience.

I think it has to do with SF being so small and compact, there are no real industrial areas that separate Downtown from the neighborhoods in any direction.

On the other hand, Chicago is so big that the Downtown Area is so large that you have enough urban life close to Downtown that you don't really need to venture out whereas in SF, you really have to.
yeah going south or west is a bit of a biatch and there are lots of cool neighborhoods off the blue line. It would be nice if Chicagos better neighborhoods circled the city core more with a better flow. West Loop/South Loop/Pilsen are much much better than they were just 10 years ago. Just have to expand that trend. It is a nice effect walking into North Beach right into Chinatown (prime example), etc. Chicago doesn't have that to that degree. It is a must to utilize the subway to experience a lot of Chicago where as, if one wanted to, they can explore a lot in more concentrated doses solely on foot in San Francisco. Another good thing about getting around SF is if you are up on a hill, you can get a sense of where you are and where you need to get to, where as Chicago is flat as a pancake and can't get a sense of what is coming up if you are walking. I can't remember how many tourists asked me how to get to the Sears Tower...the answer is usually (Look up!)

Old 05-29-2010, 01:46 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,869 times
Quote:

Here are some more videos.

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #24

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #28

^ Lol, the guy sounds scared out of his mind.He's probably never seen tall buildings or ppl in his life before.

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #30

YouTube - Downtown Chicago #33

Actually you couldn't be any more wrong. NY'ers have a honking ordinance that will cost you $350 dollars for honking. But I am not really surprised that you don't know that. I bet you have never been to NY. By the way, as far as those other illegal immigrant numbers that you have posted in another post regarding Chicago. That is pure speculation, and most likely considering the source very wrong. Much like most of your posts. I see that you are no longer a member. I have to say, I am not too surprised.

Just trying to correct misinformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City