Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 06:18 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,533 times

Advertisements

Been to both. Lived in nyc and nyc hands down. You can go downtown l.a 1am and cruise. Cant say the same about Manhattan where i was stuck in traffic 2am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 09:08 PM

149 posts, read 113,450 times
I believe Los Angeles just ranked as one of the worst cities in the world for traffic this year.Sheesh

Old 05-25-2017, 11:16 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
If this has already been addressed, forgive me. But NYC drivers are slower on the freeways, and more aggressive on city streets. The opposite in LA...they are slower on city streets, and more aggressive on the freeways. Probably has a lot to do with road "culture". LA is a freeway-centric city, NY is a street-centric city.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:15 AM

3,814 posts, read 4,008,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
This is a silly comparison.

LA isn't at all walkable (outside of parts of parts of Venice Beach and Hollywood) whereas NYC is incredibly walkable and has excellent public transit. There is zero need for anyone living in NYC to ever drive a car.
This is the stupideat thing I have read all week. Venice is not even close to the top LA walkable hoods. And there is a huge need for people living in NYC to drive cars.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:07 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
This is a silly comparison.

LA isn't at all walkable (outside of parts of parts of Venice Beach and Hollywood) whereas NYC is incredibly walkable and has excellent public transit. There is zero need for anyone living in NYC to ever drive a car.
Unless you're talking about the shopping areas like Abbot Kinney, I think most people would consider Venice to be at the lower end of L.A. walk-ability, as it is on the west side. I go to Los Angeles all the time....I arrive in a train and leave in a train unless I'm going to the airport. It's almost always Metro rail and walking around the whole time there, I'll take an Uber if I'm lazy. Maybe I'm just in my own world here.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,219,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
This is the stupideat thing I have read all week. Venice is not even close to the top LA walkable hoods. And there is a huge need for people living in NYC to drive cars.
There's not really a huge need at all. It's usually way more efficient to take transit in NYC. This goes for people getting around the city and also people coming into NYC from surrounding areas. More often than not, driving would be a huge inconvenience.

Less than 50% of households in NYC have a single car. Not individuals, entire households. And many that do share a single car + don't use it in their everyday lives, but instead to go places outside of NYC. Driving a car in NYC is really only the norm for the places on the outskirts like Staten Island and Eastern Queens.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:12 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Driving in either is no picnic except for certain times of day/days of the week, but NYC often gives you a lot more alternatives to driving through traffic.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:15 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Unless you're talking about the shopping areas like Abbot Kinney, I think most people would consider Venice to be at the lower end of L.A. walk-ability, as it is on the west side. I go to Los Angeles all the time....I arrive in a train and leave in a train unless I'm going to the airport. It's almost always Metro rail and walking around the whole time there, I'll take an Uber if I'm lazy. Maybe I'm just in my own world here.
There is no way that Venice is at the lower end of LA walk-ability. It's not at the very top, but there are definitely numerous far worse neighborhoods in LA proper (or the metro) for walking to get your day to day things done than Venice.

Though yea, citing Venice as one of two examples of walkable LA, doesn't make the most sense. The various subsections of downtown Los Angeles, Koreatown, and Hollywood are far better examples of top walkable neighborhoods in Los Angeles.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:52 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
There's not really a huge need at all. It's usually way more efficient to take transit in NYC. This goes for people getting around the city and also people coming into NYC from surrounding areas. More often than not, driving would be a huge inconvenience.

Less than 50% of households in NYC have a single car. Not individuals, entire households. And many that do share a single car + don't use it in their everyday lives, but instead to go places outside of NYC. Driving a car in NYC is really only the norm for the places on the outskirts like Staten Island and Eastern Queens.
Even in Eastern Queens a lot of people don't drive

Old 06-01-2017, 12:27 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
LA Freeway traffic is brutal. Nothing is as bad as street traffic in Manhattan. So I guess it's a toss up.
Absoulutely agree! +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City