Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Los Angeles or Atlanta: Which city has the worst traffic??
Los Angeles 67 81.71%
Atlanta 15 18.29%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,228 times

Advertisements

Out of the two cities, which has the worst traffic??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
They're both bad. Atlanta actually has a better rail system, given the population. Atlanta's traffic only seems to be bad going north of dowtown, to the more popular suburbs. Heading east or west doesn't seem to be AS bad.

The problem is that, of Atlanta's numerous counties, the popular northerly counties of Cobb and Gwinnett have voted NOT to be included in the MARTA system, which would essentially only require continuation of existing lines, at least up into Gwinnett County, which has 700,000+ people. Only Fulton, DeKalb (and maybe Clayton) have voted for it. If MARTA doesn't keep up with the growth, it will get uglier.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
There's no question it's LA. I've driven through Atlanta many times and it was fine at all times of the day. LA is notorious for its traffic.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:39 PM

366 posts, read 1,441,937 times
L.A

Sitting in a convertibe; in traffic 24/7 watching wildfires in the mountains; haze hanging around in the air.

Sorry just had to say that if it offended anyone Lol.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
LA Traffic isn't really that bad. Yes, maybe for you small town folks. But compared to other large cities, it isn't much worse.

Top 10 Cities With The Worst Traffic : The Real Estate Bloggers

And, I know ATL has some public transportation, but nowhere close to LA's. Not only do we have busy rail lines with even more on the way in upcoming years, but one of the most advanced bus systems in the country. LA is often considered the bus-ridership capitol. More probably take them in NYC, but compared to ATL, tons of people in LA public transportation, helping to cut down on traffic.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
LA Traffic isn't really that bad. Yes, maybe for you small town folks. But compared to other large cities, it isn't much worse.

Top 10 Cities With The Worst Traffic : The Real Estate Bloggers

And, I know ATL has some public transportation, but nowhere close to LA's. Not only do we have busy rail lines with even more on the way in upcoming years, but one of the most advanced bus systems in the country. LA is often considered the bus-ridership capitol. More probably take them in NYC, but compared to ATL, tons of people in LA public transportation, helping to cut down on traffic.
he was talking about Rail Atlanta has higher rail ridership than LA

Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
Definitely Los Angeles.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:13 AM

880 posts, read 2,862,623 times
I found the LA rail system much more extensive than Atlanta's. It goes to the coast, several suburbs and even Long Beach. Marta barely goes out of the city limits, let alone the suburbs, and some counties (Fayette and Forsyth) in metro Atlanta don't have public transportation of any kind (heck, not even taxi service)!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:59 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Every time they do traffic studies, L.A. comes in at # 1 and Atlanta overall comes in around # 2. It'll be a while before Atlanta overtakes L.A., but eventually if our growth patterns continue the way they have since the late 70s, it will. At current growth trends, our traffic *might* overtake L.A. in about 20 years, but L.A. is still growing too (at a slower rate), so you never really know. There are areas of the city where it's relatively easy to get around, even during rush hour, but then there are other areas of the city that literally stay semi-clogged to clogged all day long. The top end of the beltway is especially notorious for causing people to have to go on antidepressants.

Three summers ago, we did surpass L.A. in the number of Federal rated "smog days" during the summer due to car exhaust. I'm not sure if we have since, but it's getting up there.

Atlanta was leading many cities in expanding rail for a while, but then it pretty much stalled out as far as future expansion plans go. L.A. is expanding/planning at a much faster pace than we are. Georgia also does not contribute anything financially to Atlanta's transit system. Maybe the Obama White House will change that with some Federal money boosting, but for now, most of Atlanta's transit/rail stuff is dead in the water regarding any expansions at all.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 AM

341 posts, read 1,338,106 times
Traffic in Atlanta is bad, but Im sure LA's traffic is much worse. Personally I have no problem with traffic, I work and live intown, the only time I see it is when I drive over I-75 on Howell Mill Rd. I can get to Peachtree in 6 minutes, and Northside Dr. (my main artery for anywhere) in 3 minutes. And I have a trick for the bottleneck at Howell Mill and Chattahoochee, I just cut up Huff Rd and come around until I get to the back end of Collier. And if there is traffic on Collier, I just cut up thru Springlake. I know this area better than some of the locals. Traffic, what traffic??

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City