Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
Rechecked my math and I stand corrected. I forgot to add San Benito County to the Bay Area CSA (1,389 sq miles, pop 53,000). As far as being defensive, I was just trying to point out that the Bay Area has more people in a measured area than Atlanta. That is not debatable. Who knows why the census decided to split the BA like they did, but apparently it is large enough to include an MSA with a city of 800,000 people (S.F.) and another MSA of a city with 1 million people (S.J.)

According to the CA dept of finance latest estimates, the 11 county SF CSA has a population of approx 7.8 million. These state estimates are more in line with actual figures than US census estimates.
Well, I'm sure I could come up with someone's estimate for Atlanta that is higher than the Census Bureau, but is that really necessary just to try and prove my point? Nope...it's probably just better to stick with the standard rather than some other entity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 06:17 PM

254 posts, read 693,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
To me this is another example where census designations are crap - purely based on where people commute for work - yet SJ and SF are intertwined culturally and from a living perspective. having spent much time in the Bay area how they seperate the two boggles my mind - they are completedly integrated from a living perspective - maybe not a commuter one

And the whole Bay area feels much more crowded and larger to me - though Atlanta feels very large as well

My sister lives in Atlanta. I came to visit her a few years ago. This was the same impression I got as well. The density of the Bay Area makes it feel larger to me than it really is. Atlanta didn't feel crowded and didn't feel as large as a metro of 5 million would feel like.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, I'm sure I could come up with someone's estimate for Atlanta that is higher than the Census Bureau, but is that really necessary just to try and prove my point? Nope...it's probably just better to stick with the standard rather than some other entity.
And your point being? I merely posted where I got my population figures from. I stood corrected on physical size, but as far as my pop figures, they did come from the State of CA. The Bay Area has more people than the Atlanta metro area. Do you not agree with this statement?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
Apart from SF, I don't think one can feel that the Bay area is in a particularly large CSA. Most of the parts in Silicon Valley such as Mountain View, Sunnyvale, etc. feel like Gainesville, FL to me. Yes they are relatively dense compared to some suburbs, and especially to other areas in the country connecting two large cities. but so are most college towns. Why do you related this relative dense thing to a big metro area than to a college town? I don't get it. Actually I think Bay area is very unique that it manages the small town feel in each small city so that you don't feel you are in a large metro area(be it a suburb or the city center) when you are in one of those small cities of Bay area.

Quote:
[/b]

My sister lives in Atlanta. I came to visit her a few years ago. This was the same impression I got as well. The density of the Bay Area makes it feel larger to me than it really is. Atlanta didn't feel crowded and didn't feel as large as a metro of 5 million would feel like.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:27 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,008,164 times
That still depends on whether you are considering MSA or CSA. San Jose is not that close to SF.

Quote:
And your point being? I merely posted where I got my population figures from. I stood corrected on physical size, but as far as my pop figures, they did come from the State of CA. The Bay Area has more people than the Atlanta metro area. Do you not agree with this statement?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:28 PM

268 posts, read 948,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Not to be bias, but if your trying to party you need to come to Miami. Atlanta is a cool place to visit as well though, but seriously I would pick SF Bay Area over Greater Atlanta. I just think theres more to do and see in San Fran.

Such As???

Old 05-21-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Of course I agree with that statement; it's a little different from the one you made earlier (SF Bay Area is much larger than Atlanta)...THAT'S my point. Don't change your wording now.

I do not think that many people will trump the Census Bureau population figures with state government ones. Sorry, that's the Census Bureau's main function.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
That still depends on whether you are considering MSA or CSA. San Jose is not that close to SF.
Right...we might as well throw Birmingham, Chattanooga, Macon and Greenville in with Atlanta's CSA - they are just as close.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Apart from SF, I don't think one can feel that the Bay area is in a particularly large CSA. Most of the parts in Silicon Valley such as Mountain View, Sunnyvale, etc. feel like Gainesville, FL to me. Yes they are relatively dense compared to some suburbs, but so are most college towns. Why do you related this relative dense thing to a big metro area than to a college town? I don't get it. Actually I think Bay area is very unique that it manages the small town feel in each small city so that you don't feel you are in a large metro area(be it a suburb or the city center) when you are in one of those small cities of Bay area.
I am originally from San Mateo. It is a city about 18 miles south of SF on the peninsula. San Mateo has a population of about 92,000 in 12 square miles.

I currently live in the city of Fresno. Fresno just recently passed the 500,000 mark and the area of the city is approx 110 square miles.

Yet, San Mateo in and of itself felt like a larger city to me than Fresno does. Its a matter of perception. Clearly Fresno is the larger city (it is even larger than Oakland), but since SM is in the Bay Area and SM by itself is very dense and built up, it feels like a larger city to me. Thats the only analogy I can relate it to.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:39 PM

515 posts, read 986,015 times
As I've mentioned in other threads, the fact is that no matter what the US Census says, San Francisco is part of a large urban (a.k.a. "metropolitan") area called the Bay Area, which also includes San Jose and Oakland. The area shares public transportation networks (BART, CalTrain), radio stations, local tv broadcasting stations, and so on and so forth. The NY Times even has a section on the greater Bay Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
CSA is Not MSA
CSA low Commuting
MSA High commuting.
Don't compare a CSA to a MSA because they have different commuting rates.
Wrong. Four major freeways cross between the "border" between the San Francisco / Oakland MSA and the San Jose MSA. According to CalTrans (HERE) freeway traffic volumes are as follows:

On the peninsula at the San Mateo / Santa Clara county line - the MSA "border" - the Bayshore Freeway (101) carries 200,000 vehicles per day and I-280 carries 100,000 vehicles per day.

In the East Bay at the Contra Costa / Santa Clara county line - the MSA "border" - I-880 carries 180,000 vehicles per day and I-680 carries 135,000 vehicles per day.

Additionally, CalTrain carries an additional 40,000 commuters a day between San Francisco and San Jose, and BART carries

When combined, that's nearly a half a million people crossing the line on an average daily basis between "two" metropolitan areas. That's pretty significant commuting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City