Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
In large regards it's true. But the small cities in Bay Area differ in the fact that they aren't exactly satellite cities to one large principal city like the ones in the Atlanta Metropolitan area are.

There's Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose. The smaller cities generally have a personality of their own, and large amounts of people live in them. Like they have their own nightlife, their own methods of entertainment, their own large scale shopping places.

I just don't see the same for Houston or Atlanta areas.

Comparable to the Bay Area in this respect would be Miami. Miami Beach = The Palo Alto of the Miami area.

I don't know if I'm making any sense to you, but yeahhh lol.
The Bay Area is a metroplex like DFW San Francisco and Oakland, but Palo Alto is not a part the San Francisco MSA but CSA, I going to ignore it though. Yes Metro Atlanta is not a metroplex their is no side kick city like Oakland but their are plenty of small suburbs that have their own personality and culture. For starters many of Atlanta suburbs are older than Atlanta and have historic Downtowns and etc. because Atlanta’s suburbs have small city sizes and the areas around them are uncorporated, People often refer to the uncorporated areas around them as part of that city. So with saying that there is a lot with in what is consider Marietta, Decatur and etc. And as far as Houston goes….. Galveston doesn’t have it own culture? But of course again Atlanta and Houston aren’t metroplex so their is no Oakland counterparts but Palo Alto yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
There's been some bickering and insulting back and forth so far in here folks. Cool it or the door closes. Stay on topic

Old 05-21-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
No not a boogie monster but no stats are perfect - they work very well to tie connections in areas where there is large areas that seperate metros.

another example:
There is a city 10.8 miles from another city that has a local sports radio station for a city of which the census designates in another metro. But they broadcast from there because they believe it is centrally located to broadcast to people who feel a connection (be it sports) to the other metro (or at least what the census calls the other metro). That seems odd to me but shows that distance and city connection can have zero to do with how the census breaks up certain metros.

Yes the commuter patterns place it in a metro of which people do not associate themsleves to outside of +1,700 net commuter pattern to large office complex one county away - at least the radio station keeps them entertained on the long 10 mile commute

The description of the area reads. "is located 10.8 miles north of Philadelphia and part of the greater Philadelphia region known as the Delaware Valley yet is considered in New York metropolitan area by the US Census bureau..."

So yes I think the census designations can not always portray connections or even population size in areas that have small distances between large cities.
One large urban area yes, one large cultural idenity yes, but one large area that has commuting of a MSA NO. If it did it be one larger Metroplex. The line doesn’t have to be drawn "they don't" there are metroplexes you know because they do meet commuting levels of a MSA. but it’s draw for a reason cause they don’t meet the threshold of commuting, but maybe some day SF and SJ will meet to level but now it’s what it is. Another example is the Los Angeles Metropolitan and the inland Empire it development threw and threw. They are one CSA but not MSA. Your talking so much about how far or close a place is and how dense..... dosen't matter. metropolitan statistical area (MSA) The percentage of a place that commute to a principal city and how much. The census didn’t make a mistake reality is ironic and you can’t accepted. Trenton is closer to Philly yes but enough people go to NY so it’s a part of NY MSA at the same time not enough go to Philly to make a official New York - Philly metroplex or MSA ironic but truth. Their is nothing else I can add.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 PM

330 posts, read 878,330 times
I think the two areas may be in similar size, but I think the Bay Area feels larger than Atlanta. Also in the importance category, I think SF Bay Area is more important - this is where latest technology is usually born - not necessarily SF, but SJ which is right next door - not in the same MSA, but you would never know that SF and SJ are not in the same MSA - both feel very connected to each other.

In terms of which place is more worthwhile for a visit, I'd have to pick SF. Many places to see and natural scenery comes along with it.

In terms of partying - I think they are about even, but the Bay Area offers more diversity in different styles and culture of partying.

Frankly, for me the SF Bay Area is a no brainer. SF Bay Area just wins in too many categories to compare to Atlanta - so it's kind of unfair to compare Atlanta Metro to SF Bay Area. At the same time if I had to go to Atlanta for a business trip I'd be excited to visit it.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:07 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Haha, its like the Great Wall of China!!
Indeed. LOL , For those who are not aware, the border is approximately 35 miles south of Downtown SF(and about 20 miles from DT San Jose) and the density is pretty much as seen below for all developable land for that entire distance.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Indeed. LOL , For those who are not aware, the border is approximately 35 miles south of Downtown SF(and about 20 miles from DT San Jose) and the density is pretty much as seen below for all developable land for that entire distance.
Tell people to go to the other side a little bit more. LMAO ) but is that divided by county, city or what?

Old 05-22-2010, 12:15 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
In large regards it's true. But the small cities in Bay Area differ in the fact that they aren't exactly satellite cities to one large principal city like the ones in the Atlanta Metropolitan area are.

There's Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose. The smaller cities generally have a personality of their own, and large amounts of people live in them. Like they have their own nightlife, their own methods of entertainment, their own large scale shopping places.

I just don't see the same for Houston or Atlanta areas.

Comparable to the Bay Area in this respect would be Miami. Miami Beach = The Palo Alto of the Miami area.

I don't know if I'm making any sense to you, but yeahhh lol.
I see what you mean. The Bay is basically multiple cities with there own separate characteristics, and none of the smaller cities cater or follow the larger cities, and usually go there own way. Sort of how Fort Lauderdale looks after it's own in Broward, West Palm in Palm Beach County, and Miami in Miami-Dade County. Separate entities that make ONE CSA.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 AM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
^ Exactly.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:31 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I see what you mean. The Bay is basically multiple cities with there own separate characteristics, and none of the smaller cities cater or follow the larger cities, and usually go there own way. Sort of how Fort Lauderdale looks after it's own in Broward, West Palm in Palm Beach County, and Miami in Miami-Dade County. Separate entities that make ONE CSA.
Yeah, both my cousins and their families moved from Chicago to the Bay Area this past decade. One of them moved there in 2001 with his wife and kids, and the other moved there 2007 with her husband and kids. And One works in Google (Mountain View) and the others works in Adobe (San Jose downtown- and once a week has to go to his San Francisco office in downtown SF) and basically the people who live in places like Mountainview, Palo Alto, Berkeley, from my experience they never have to really go to the city for anything besides airport or sports.
There's places for bars, entertainment, ethnic food, colleges and schools, big companies, shopping, clubs and all that. Like those people can get through their lives without having to go to any of the big 3 Bay Area cities of Oakland, San Jose, and San Francisco.

That's what I love most about the Bay Area, so much variety!!! It's insane, endless amount of things to do, and every city has something cool to do!!

With Atlanta it's a different story. It's the only principle city in it's metropolitan area, which means that suburbs have less power and less influence.

Bay Area is comparable to DFW, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, New York/Jersey City/Newark, Minneapolis/St. Paul.

Atlanta is more like Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:36 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
It doesn't seem that far at all. It reminds me of Dallas/Fort Worth, and Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City