Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times

Advertisements

NYC has nature, but it's very strategically integrated into the city (not a bad thing), almost to the point of being unnatural.

We were just laughing at my friend from Manhattan, because our friend from Colorado showed her a picture of a Bobcat and my friend from Colorado was like "Look, it's a Bobcat" and my NYC friend was like "BOBCAT!? What's a Bobcat?!? Where are the pigeons?!" Hahaha!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
i don't think that the nature in queens is strategically placed at all.

then again, i feel like queens is underdeveloped (overall) in comparison to the rest of nyc...i mean obviously the airports have something to do with that but still. the city is lacking IMO. whats good with more train lines for areas that aren't serviced, for example. if you live passed 179th st in jamaica, good luck...

Old 05-26-2010, 11:46 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
I don't like the weather at all. Summer and Winter are both icky to me.

A few other very minor issues I have but arent not really NYs fault-but mine.

And to be honest, the pluses far outweigh the minuses-no contest.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:55 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
The biggest problem with questions of this type is:

define NYC.

Someone living in 1 of the 5 boroughs thinks it means Manhattan. Someone living in Manhattan doesn't even recognize the other boroughs.

Someone from outside the region doesn't know how large each borough is; how very distinctive each borough is; and how far away from Manhattan Staten Island is.

No BBQing in NYC? Right, if you mean Manhattan. But if you are talking about the WHOLE of NYC, of which Manhattan is but a small part, there are plenty of places with BBQs - and many homes with large yards. That pic with my profile is my house in NYC - there's a tennis court behind the garages. NYC is not all high rises - but most of Manhattan is.

179th in Jamaica - don't you need a passport to get there?

Last edited by NY Annie; 05-26-2010 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: pic is missing - have to find it

Old 05-26-2010, 01:26 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
nyc wildlife;

(poor, poor turtle)

(prospect park)

nature?

(flower in queens. the man believes the flower resembles ganesh)

(snow boarding in nyc)

(prospect park again)

we don't have mexicans??

mexicans:

beach:

but i guess we don't have wildlife and nature, tho.
A swan, a duck and a turtle? You've made your point, I guess. Im not doubting there is nature in NYC, but I have seen a larger variety of wildlife in my backyard.

Last edited by TB Fla; 05-26-2010 at 01:42 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
eek

well which do you want? 20 pictures of wildlife or 20 pictures of nature?

i didn't feel like posting a ton of examples of one and tried to keep it simple. if you weren't trying to be an ass maybe you'd see that.

perhaps i should take a photo of every animal in jamaica bay refuge. but that probably wouldn't be enough either. maybe i should post a picture of every tree and flower in ny as well.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:18 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
ok then. so when ppl sit there and say that ny doesn't have nature, its bull and they deserved to get called out for it.
and ny is more than just a few pigeons here and there. there are hawks in nyc. there are swans, mallards, etc.
if you want to fool yourself in thinking that ny is just a bunch of buildings, one tree and a squirrel chillin with a rat and a pigeon then go ahead. it doesn't make it true.
we have many parks and we have wildlife and nature outside of these parks as well.
i don't care what ppl look at, but tell the truth.
if you or someone else doesn't know about nyc just say it. why make stuff up based on things you heard about?
unless you have been through the boroughs and have or have not seen it you shouldn't say anything about nyc when it comes to this.
we have a wildlife refuge, beaches, botanical gardens, parks, etc. but now all of that isn't good enough because ppl don't want it to be.
how many inches will the goal post be moved??
get at me when the bronx river is the end all be all of nature in nyc.
i guess because the bronx river lacks beavers that the entire city, all of the boroughs doesn't have nature.
and, i personally never said anything about florida not having culture so...find somebody else to quote "in kind."
if you want to find out about nature in ny, do so yourself.
i've posted examples of the nature you can find in ny. why don't you find information to prove your point?
and nyc is more than a few birds, lol.
smh at this. a bunch of ppl with preconceived notions on what nyc is like and they all have no idea.
I probably lived in NYC a lot longer than you so please don't start the, "You don't know NYC" crap.

You posted the whales but failed to say where in NYC those whales were.

Like I said, if you want to consider what you have there nature then go ahead. I know that when people want to go and see wildlife they don't say, "Let's go to NYC".

Old 05-26-2010, 02:38 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
well which do you want? 20 pictures of wildlife or 20 pictures of nature?

i didn't feel like posting a ton of examples of one and tried to keep it simple. if you weren't trying to be an ass maybe you'd see that.

perhaps i should take a photo of every animal in jamaica bay refuge. but that probably wouldn't be enough either. maybe i should post a picture of every tree and flower in ny as well.
You're getting a little too defensive. But even if you did take a photo of every animal in NYC, you're right, it still wouldn't be enough, because it wont compare to almost every other city in the US.

Its not that big a deal, really. NYC can't be tops in every category. But the great thing about NYC is, it has enough areas to get away from the city and into nature which is great.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:42 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I probably lived in NYC a lot longer than you so please don't start the, "You don't know NYC" crap.

You posted the whales but failed to say where in NYC those whales were.

Like I said, if you want to consider what you have there nature then go ahead. I know that when people want to go and see wildlife they don't say, "Let's go to NYC".
like i said, if you want to find out more about nature in nyc then find out for yourself.

what do i look like trying to prove your point? prove your own point.

and it doesn't matter if you're my mother's age, if you never left your block then you never left your block. doesn't mean that nyc doesn't have nature, because we do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
You're getting a little too defensive. But even if you did take a photo of every animal in NYC, you're right, it still wouldn't be enough, because it wont compare to almost every other city in the US. Its not that big a deal, really. NYC can't be tops in every category.
well its like 5 against one. 4 and a half sound like they've never been to nyc at all and the other sounds like he never left his stoop.

no one said that nyc had the best wildlife in the country or the best nature in the country. all i'm saying is that we have nature and wildlife.

its not about ny being on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City