Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 02:32 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But NYC really does come out ahead of other U.S. cities on very many objective measures. And it competes with the best cities in the entire world. How is it arrogant to just state the facts? (I say that as a non-New Yorker.)
I know it does, but that is not grounds for rubbing it in other's faces. Many New Yorkers seem to think NYC = biggest city in the US = Greatest city in the US = New Yorkers greater than everyone else in the US. Just because someone lives in a bigger more powerful city than me does not mean they are better than me.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:40 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
its not rubbing it in one's face if the person asked.

if someone is like, what does nyc not have? and a bunch of ppl that aren't from nyc, that have never lived in nyc, etc. say stuff that isn't true, we should be allowed to correct them.

if someone wants to compare and contrast nyc to another city, metro area, state, etc. then we should be allowed to talk about what nyc has and doesn't have.

its not our fault if the city has all of these things. we're supposed to lie about it? say that it doesn't? agree when ppl are clearly wrong when they talk in condescending tones about what this city doesn't have??

nyc is big AND its great. whats so hard to understand about it? we list, tiredly list, many reasons as to why it is.

ppl talk about nyers and how we're this and we're that and we know its not true so we defend ourselves.

but we, in some ppl's eyes, shouldn't even be allowed to do that. i mean come on.

we live in one of the greatest cities in the world and we should be allowed to talk about why this city is great too. you do it for your cities and/or states.

WE do it for our country when we're overseas.

so why, when it comes to nyc, is this an issue?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Many New Yorkers will never admit to ANY faults or imperfections, and that's where the trouble starts..

Old 05-28-2010, 03:02 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Many New Yorkers will never admit to ANY faults or imperfections, and that's where the trouble starts..
The same goes for everywhere actually, like for instance take a rural town, some people will boast about the quietness, fresh air, nature, etc. many times you won't hear about a lack of certain things. NY can't really be singled out.

I can list many imperfections about NY, most people in NY complain about many things. It's not like "oh I just waited over an hour for a bus that's supposed to come every 10 minutes, but we have the best transit system in the U.S. so I'm happy".

Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,988 times
A soul

Old 05-28-2010, 11:25 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
When do nyers do that? Nyers spend alot more time defending the city than anything else. The presence of new york detractors in this thread(the usual suspects who show up in any thread with nyc in it, be it negative or positive.lol) is the only reason the discussion even took this negative turn
No the reason this thread took a negative turn was because 4 of the first 5 responses to the OP decided instead of just replying to the question they would take shots at other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotormanMike View Post
I hear Fargo , ND is a really happening place ... Word has it that the National Soil and Grass Museum featuring it's exhibit of soil samples and blades of grass from all 50 states is the place to be Friday Nights ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
You have to go all the way to Sweetwater, Texas to see the world's largest rattlesnake roundup. That's something NYC doesn't have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
NYC doesn't have a Walmart parking lot for young people to hangout in late at night. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to see this in a few locations over the years in small town America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
NYC does not have cow tipping, banjo dueling, wal-marts, or other such American staples. But we do have trailer parks! (just a few but they are here)
The thread was then moved from the NY forum to General U.S. where others were able to see this. A poster, who thankfully is no longer a member, even stated,

Quote:
...this thread is really going to anger some people here based on what some of us NYers said, lol.
That is the reason this thread took a negative turn.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:01 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
its not rubbing it in one's face if the person asked.

if someone is like, what does nyc not have? and a bunch of ppl that aren't from nyc, that have never lived in nyc, etc. say stuff that isn't true, we should be allowed to correct them.

if someone wants to compare and contrast nyc to another city, metro area, state, etc. then we should be allowed to talk about what nyc has and doesn't have.

its not our fault if the city has all of these things. we're supposed to lie about it? say that it doesn't? agree when ppl are clearly wrong when they talk in condescending tones about what this city doesn't have??

nyc is big AND its great. whats so hard to understand about it? we list, tiredly list, many reasons as to why it is.

ppl talk about nyers and how we're this and we're that and we know its not true so we defend ourselves.

but we, in some ppl's eyes, shouldn't even be allowed to do that. i mean come on.

we live in one of the greatest cities in the world and we should be allowed to talk about why this city is great too. you do it for your cities and/or states.

WE do it for our country when we're overseas.

so why, when it comes to nyc, is this an issue?
I agree with your post for the most part. New Yorkers should not be discouraged from defending there city or from speaking on its greatness. But for me, thats not the issue. It the superiority complex. And blaming that on other's inferiority complexes is ridiculous . And you mention bragging about our greatness overseas as if its a good thing. You do realize thats why so much of the rest of the world hates us right?

Old 05-29-2010, 09:02 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I agree with your post for the most part. New Yorkers should not be discouraged from defending there city or from speaking on its greatness. But for me, thats not the issue. It the superiority complex. And blaming that on other's inferiority complexes is ridiculous . And you mention bragging about our greatness overseas as if its a good thing. You do realize thats why so much of the rest of the world hates us right?

It's called PRIDE. It shows an inferiority complex of other places in the country who slam NYC. And also responding to threads that they have no useful opinion of, since they have never been there. So, please leave this thread open to people who have actually visited here

Old 05-29-2010, 09:18 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
1) Try Times Square...or Penn Station...or 8th Ave....LOL
2) If most of the 37,000 cops you are NOT friendly...then the tiny minority that may be will be eclipsed the rude majority.
3) $10 for a baked potato at South Seaport or $15 for an Appletini at a club.
Or a studio for $1500 a month to SHARE an apartment.

I love New York in June...
How about you? LOL

Did you talk to about 75% of the 37,000 cops to get a good, informed opinion on all of them?

Anyway, aren't most people concerned about a cop doing a great job over being friendly? Would you rather have all the Times Square cops inside donut shops chatting, or doing their job well on the street? If they were walking the city being all friendly, Times Square may have blown up. Think about that one...

Old 05-29-2010, 09:25 AM

66 posts, read 78,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I know it does, but that is not grounds for rubbing it in other's faces. Many New Yorkers seem to think NYC = biggest city in the US = Greatest city in the US = New Yorkers greater than everyone else in the US. Just because someone lives in a bigger more powerful city than me does not mean they are better than me.

This is true. I 100% agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City