Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 09:59 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i guess i worded that wrong, but the sad thing is it seems like many new yorkers are so quick to embrace foreigners and their cultures, and are just as quick to look down their noses at their own american brethren...and what's worse, have the nerve to refer to the rest of the u.s. as "fly over country"

truth be told, i'm sure most posters here have no real problem with the city of new york, it's just the blatant arrogance of some of its residents that people are sick and tired of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
As a native New Yorker, I must say it's fascinating in a strange way to see my fellow Americans jumping at the chance to trash my hometown.

This has made me realize there's something else New York City hasn't got (and thankfully): all those other people.
^^^^^^^^^

Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
^^^^^^^^^
fred314x may have a point. but nobody can sit here and act like none of the negativity EVER comes from NY. many of the new yorkers on this forum love to play the innocent victim when it comes to some of the bashing going on

Old 05-28-2010, 11:21 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
fred314x may have a point. but nobody can sit here and act like none of the negativity EVER comes from NY. many of the new yorkers on this forum love to play the innocent victim when it comes to some of the bashing going on
So true. Im getting a kick out of it. I agree with jjacobeclark, New york seriously lack humility. Most people don't have a problem with the city itself, its the arrogance. Thats why people are jumping at the chance the return the favor and put down NYC for a change.

Luckly for us, there is one less arrogant NYer on this site

Old 05-28-2010, 12:07 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
if a lot of ppl in a lot of areas outside of nyc didn't have an inferiority complex then there wouldn't be a problem. you ask a question about certain things and you get an answer. its not our problem if you don't like the answer.

nyc is great. nyc is the premier city of the u.s. nyc is one of the best cities in the entire world. it is what it is. we are aware of where we live and where we are from.

if ppl want to see what the fuss is about then they are more than welcome to visit and/or move.

lets flip it for a sec...do you think that americans abroad lack humility? just curious...

Old 05-28-2010, 12:24 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,518 times
Quote:
if a lot of ppl in a lot of areas outside of nyc didn't have an inferiority complex then there wouldn't be a problem. you ask a question about certain things and you get an answer. its not our problem if you don't like the answer.

nyc is great. nyc is the premier city of the u.s. nyc is one of the best cities in the entire world. it is what it is. we are aware of where we live and where we are from.

if ppl want to see what the fuss is about then they are more than welcome to visit and/or move.

lets flip it for a sec...do you think that americans abroad lack humility? just curious...
...I rest my case....

Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:

If you're really the greatest, then you shouldn't have to constantly remind people all the time of your greatness. Do you honestly think people in London and Paris go on and on about how much bigger and better they are than Berlin or Rome?

Old 05-28-2010, 12:40 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,322,242 times
NYC, even NYS has no Jack in the Box. In fact, the closest on is in North Carolina!

Old 05-28-2010, 01:04 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,089,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
If you're really the greatest, then you shouldn't have to constantly remind people all the time of your greatness. Do you honestly think people in London and Paris go on and on about how much bigger and better they are than Berlin or Rome?
When do nyers do that? Nyers spend alot more time defending the city than anything else. The presence of new york detractors in this thread(the usual suspects who show up in any thread with nyc in it, be it negative or positive.lol) is the only reason the discussion even took this negative turn

Old 05-28-2010, 01:28 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
When do nyers do that? Nyers spend alot more time defending the city than anything else. The presence of new york detractors in this thread(the usual suspects who show up in any thread with nyc in it, be it negative or positive.lol) is the only reason the discussion even took this negative turn
Did you read eek's last post? Thats not the only example either. Not by a long shot. The main reason NYers have to defend their city so much is because the arrogance of some of them that cause most people to have a negative view on NYers and NYC. Im not saying its right, but if you dont like it, maybe you should point fingers at the arrogant NYers too.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:42 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Did you read eek's last post? Thats not the only example either. Not by a long shot. The main reason NYers have to defend their city so much is because the arrogance of some of them that cause most people to have a negative view on NYers and NYC. Im not saying its right, but if you dont like it, maybe you should point fingers at the arrogant NYers too.
But NYC really does come out ahead of other U.S. cities on very many objective measures. And it competes with the best cities in the entire world. How is it arrogant to just state the facts? (I say that as a non-New Yorker.)

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 05-28-2010 at 02:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City