Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:07 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,888,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
For a non-coastal state, Idaho would be the winner by far.
The state has the most miles of whitewater rivers in the entire continental USA, and the largest concentration of freshwater/natural lakes of any state in the West.
Kayak Idaho
Nail on the head. For whitewater, it's Idaho. Or so the reputation is in the community.

But since you said not just whitewater I think WA and OR should be considered.

Massachusetts has some decent white water in the west (and over the VT border), plus has lots of marshes and bays along the coast. VT, NH, and ME all have a good variety of lakes and rivers.

Sea kayaking in Alaska is also unreal although I didn't do any whitewater there.

(for the record I have only white water kayaked in MA, VT, and Maine. I have kayaked flat water in MA, VT, NH, ME, AK, CA and I thiiiink Florida. As well as in Nova Scotia. I've also done some ww rafting in Idaho and Colorado.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 09:33 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,170,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I know I might be moving to OKC and if I so this Chesapeake Boathouse looks amazing:
Welcome to ChesapeakeBoathouse.org (http://www.chesapeakeboathouse.org/index2.html - broken link)

OKC has some major canoe tournaments there. I believe they have the olympic trials there also.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:52 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,936,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I know I might be moving to OKC and if I so this Chesapeake Boathouse looks amazing:
Welcome to ChesapeakeBoathouse.org (http://www.chesapeakeboathouse.org/index2.html - broken link)
Newport Aquatic Center for Kayaking / Rowing

Long Beach Rowing Association for Rowing

best water in the country to do some serious training

Old 05-31-2010, 08:39 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,028,608 times
I would assume anywhere really; I loved kayaking on the Brazos River in Texas.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 PM

9,095 posts, read 13,104,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I would assume anywhere really; I loved kayaking on the Brazos River in Texas.
I agree, every state has somewhere you can kayack or canoe. Your state of Texas for instance has a pretty long coastline, including shelted bays like Laguna Madre.

Florida, Alaska, Michigan and North Carolina also have long interesting coasts with large areas of calm water.

Other examples:

Louisana with its bayous.
Minnesota with its Boundary Waters canoe area.
New York with its Thousand Islands
Maryland with the Chesepeake Bay
Maine with its wild rivers
West Virginia with the New River

Old 04-15-2020, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 294 times
Florida in winter for slow meandering rivers, everglades, intracoastal. Beatiful mangrove tunnels. Rhode Island ins summer for diversity of kayaking. Rivers, inlets, tributaries, ocean.

Washington State with so many waterways and islands.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:38 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,682,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NESMIA View Post
Florida in winter for slow meandering rivers, everglades, intracoastal. Beatiful mangrove tunnels. Rhode Island ins summer for diversity of kayaking. Rivers, inlets, tributaries, ocean.

Washington State with so many waterways and islands.

If you're into more white water style kayaking I'd say mountainous states in the West take the cake.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:52 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,693,797 times
IMO, Northern Minnesota, from the Lake Superior coastline to Lake of the Woods, is the best area to kayak in the country. That area is, arguably, one of the best-kept secrets in North America.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:31 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,379,656 times
I've been white water rafting in Maine and New York Maine was better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City