Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:03 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,888,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
uhh the flag of ireland is green and orange.
And Orange represents the Protestant Orangemen (who take their name from the DUTCH king William of Orange, who ushured in years of oppression of the Irish people when he took the British throne). I can't speak for other places but in Boston is 100% unacceptable to wear orange on St. Patrick's Day unless it's in the context of a flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 03:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
And in what context did you think I meant it? Like there were loyalists stirring sh*t up at the St. Patrick's Day parade?? This is Chicago, not Belfast.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:03 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,312,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Chicago used to have what was reputed to be the world's best-attended St. Patrick's Day parade in the world.

I say "used to" not because people lost interest and stopped attending, but because it got so packed and rowdy that they finally had to cancel it -- it was like a green and orange Mardi Gras.

And it was one of two parades the city had every year. They still hold the downtown parade, which is a bit lame because it was (and still is) considered the more "family-friendly" parade and is more strictly enforced as such. Being in the parade is still good fun though -- lots of booze gets passed around between parade participants once they get staged and wait their turn to march. Last year our group got nice and toasty with a contingent from the San Diego police department.
Yeah, it is too bad that mostly outsiders caused such idiocy in MY neighborhood which spurred the local council to cancel it. I remember going to that parade as a kid and my mom and dad had no qualms about letting me explore around and say hi to the people in the parade. Most of the rowdiness happened inside homes later that day, and that was OK for the most part. Heck, when I was 15, I got tall enough to see over the counter and read the bottom shelf of liquor clearly (i'm pretty short). They celebrated by giving me ONE drink, and one drink only. The cops in the bar understood and just said "OK kid, we know you now, don't let us catch you in other bars." I didn't feel like it, the scotch made my stomach upset (lol, I was 15).

So there were slight bending of the rules but nothing terrible happened.

Eventually it got to an excuse for knife fights and brawls in pubs, mostly from people calling themselves "Irish" from out of town. So, it's cancelled, probably for good now. Such a shame. Oh well, that whole area is going to be black soon, and thanks to racism in Chicago, all the white people will move out, so having an Irish parade there will seem out of place. Take a look at 115th st. now. My early years were spent there, nowadays, it's mostly black. And Evergreen mall has been black for the better part of 15 years now, as has 95th st.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:57 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,833,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If you look at Wikipedia, it says that Philadelphia has the second largest population of Irish and Italians, second only to New York City. Boston, NYC, and Philly all have similar demographics.

Boston, I think, has a stronger Irish presence than NYC and Philly, although the current mayor (Menino) is Italian.

NYC probably has an equal number of Italians and Irish, but I think the Jewish presence is strongest there.

Philly has both a heavy Jewish and Irish concentration, but I think the Italian presence is more influential. I forgot where I read this, but I remember reading that the city was 1/3 Italian at one point in time.

I think Chicago's Irish and Italian influence is far less significant than its Polish and Scandinavian influence.
NYC's metro has about 3.4 million italians compared to about 2 million jews.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:02 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,454,507 times
i might have to go with boston

Old 06-01-2010, 02:41 AM

9 posts, read 22,974 times
Until about 1980 there were a few highly concentrated Irish neighborhoods in Queens, New York where you felt it on the street. A lot of the families, though, cames in '29 and the early 30's, not back in the 1800's. There was a significant influx of young single FOB's around '90. I believe quite a number headed back with the economic upturn in Ireland which followed.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,387,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
uhh the flag of ireland is green and orange.
Orange is for them Bushmill drinkin Protestant bastards.

Here's a list of towns with the highest percentage of Irish in the United States: Moderator cut: link removed
My town, Scituate, is tied for 8th with our next-door-neighbor, Marshfield.

Of the Massachusetts towns near the top of the list, they all are basically right next to one another. If you look at the South Shore you'll find Milton, Braintree, Scituate, Marshfield, Norwell, Cohasset, Hingham, etc, etc...basically every single town on the South Shore is on that list.

I'd find it hard to not put Boston (which has the highest % of Irish in the country of all major cities) at the top of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And in what context did you think I meant it? Like there were loyalists stirring sh*t up at the St. Patrick's Day parade?? This is Chicago, not Belfast.
I'm sure he was just joking around. People around here often joke about the orange/Bushmills thing. My friend used to work at a bar owned by a couple Irishmen...they used to keep Bushmills behind the bar just to make sure no one would order it...if you ordered a Bushmills then you were kicked out of the bar haha.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:08 AM..

Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 AM

91,948 posts, read 122,044,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Boston (16%) and Syracuse (16%) hands down...
Throw in Toms River NJ too, though smaller, it has a total sizable population of nearly 95K with a quarter of the population being Irish.

Philadelphia has a sizable Irish population too (14%)
So true about Syracuse. Considering that we have a neighborhood called Tipperary Hill, a Catholic high school by the name of Bishop Ludden that has a nickname for it's sports teams of "the Gaelic Knights", our county executive, county sheriff, a recent mayor(among many) and a recent area representative in Congress are of Irish descent, you would think the percentage would be higher. This extends into the Western suburbs too.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:11 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,575,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Spring Lake is actually closer to Philly than NY but that part of the Jersey shore is above the NY/Philly line of demarcation that is Long Beach Island

and no need for your clarification on FOB
that's incorrect.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:17 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,665,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Orange is for them Bushmill drinkin Protestant bastards.

Here's a list of towns with the highest percentage of Irish in the United States: Moderator cut: link removed

My town, Scituate, is tied for 8th with our next-door-neighbor, Marshfield.

Of the Massachusetts towns near the top of the list, they all are basically right next to one another. If you look at the South Shore you'll find Milton, Braintree, Scituate, Marshfield, Norwell, Cohasset, Hingham, etc, etc...basically every single town on the South Shore is on that list.

I'd find it hard to not put Boston (which has the highest % of Irish in the country of all major cities) at the top of the list.

The same holds true for the areas just outside of Philly. All connected similar to Boston. Not sure where there is a higher concentration but both seem to have a large and noticeable population.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City