Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Chicago, Illinois 197 66.78%
Miami, Florida 98 33.22%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:52 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
It's not so much putting all Latins under one umbrella, it's more about Latino diversity. Miami represents a broader range of Latinos, which pretty much gives it the "Latin City" title that it has. Mix that with the climate/architecture of most Latin-American cities, and I don't see why it shouldn't have that title.
yeah pretty much everywhere from south america/carribbean/central america is represented in miami, quite a few people from spain too...after mexican and puerto ricans in chicago, the diversity drops off big time and numbers are much smaller or almost non existent representation for some countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 03:01 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
not really, chicago is just as expensive if not more so than miami.
I was referring to having a house in chicago, miami and rio all at once. I'm familiar with cost of living in both miami and chicago

Old 06-18-2011, 05:31 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
I was referring to having a house in chicago, miami and rio all at once. I'm familiar with cost of living in both miami and chicago
why do you need a house, just rent and sublet if you are able to work remotely.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:26 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,064 times
Miami!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 AM

153 posts, read 416,542 times
Are you kidding meeee???!?!!

CHICAGO by like 100000 percent!

Miami is the pits. I live here and have gone to Chicago a bunch of times since my sis lives there. There's no comparing the two.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,658 times
Miami.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 PM

16 posts, read 42,886 times
First off, I have NOT been to Chicago so I won't say whether Miami is better or whether Chicago is better. Having lived in Miami, I will shed some light on my experience.

Miami truly is a diverse and unique city. It is everything you see on the TV (Models, Fast Cars, Wealth, and Sun). If you have the money, then Miami offers some of the best nightlife, women, and overall lifestyle for a "better-off" individual. Now, notice I said "If you have money", and there in lies the problem people. Miami is simply that, a huge playground for the rich and wealthy. If you can't live near the ocean, then your pretty much living in an almost run-down, crime-ridden neighborhood (or certainly close to it). Miami's downtown is very small and, in my opinion, would not be anything if it weren't for South Beach. Hell, Miami wouldn't be anything without South Beach.

When I think of a city, I think of Chicago, New York, San Francisco, etc. Truly large and diverse metropolitan areas. Miami is simply the nesting spot of all those who already made their money in other large areas. I deal with tons of people in Florida who are not even from the state. A majority of them are from the Midwest and the Northeast.

As somebody stated before, these two cities I believe are uncomparable. Miami is more of a beachy vacation spot while Chicago is a true world center for business as well as tourism. Miami is only one of those. (Sure it has it's South American trade routes...but still not even close to Chicago's stature as a major financial center of the world)

So if your rich, then come to Miami!!! If not, then rent a Lamborghini for $2,000 a day and pretend your rich like everyone else!!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,935,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmouse656 View Post
First off, I have NOT been to Chicago so I won't say whether Miami is better or whether Chicago is better. Having lived in Miami, I will shed some light on my experience.

Miami truly is a diverse and unique city. It is everything you see on the TV (Models, Fast Cars, Wealth, and Sun). If you have the money, then Miami offers some of the best nightlife, women, and overall lifestyle for a "better-off" individual. Now, notice I said "If you have money", and there in lies the problem people. Miami is simply that, a huge playground for the rich and wealthy. If you can't live near the ocean, then your pretty much living in an almost run-down, crime-ridden neighborhood (or certainly close to it). Miami's downtown is very small and, in my opinion, would not be anything if it weren't for South Beach. Hell, Miami wouldn't be anything without South Beach.

When I think of a city, I think of Chicago, New York, San Francisco, etc. Truly large and diverse metropolitan areas. Miami is simply the nesting spot of all those who already made their money in other large areas. I deal with tons of people in Florida who are not even from the state. A majority of them are from the Midwest and the Northeast.

As somebody stated before, these two cities I believe are uncomparable. Miami is more of a beachy vacation spot while Chicago is a true world center for business as well as tourism. Miami is only one of those. (Sure it has it's South American trade routes...but still not even close to Chicago's stature as a major financial center of the world)

So if your rich, then come to Miami!!! If not, then rent a Lamborghini for $2,000 a day and pretend your rich like everyone else!!
Coconut Grove. Middle-Class, artsy, bohemian(and Bahamian) area.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,782,252 times
Miami is a hole. Most people think of beach communities that are often not even in the city limits when they think of Miami.

The wages down there are low.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM

23 posts, read 94,772 times
Chicag but miami is nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City