Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where ?
New York City 84 18.34%
Los Angeles 77 16.81%
Miami 91 19.87%
Las Vegas 11 2.40%
Dallas 34 7.42%
Chicago 18 3.93%
San Francisco 8 1.75%
Houston 30 6.55%
Atlanta 36 7.86%
Another 69 15.07%
Voters: 458. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:34 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
we walk it off, tho.

(generalization here)
you guys walk from the house to the car in the garage outside of the house/parking spot outside of your apartment.

we walk from the apartment to the:

a. train station, and we have to walk down/up stairs before we get on the train.
b. bus stop, usually to walk even farther to take the train, so go back to A.
c. cab to take the bus/train.

then we have to walk up/down the stairs then walk a ton of blocks to get where we have to go, usually.

we are on our feet for a long, long time during the day in comparison to ppl in the south.

we don't eat as many fatty and/or fried foods and we exercise by walking a lot more than you guys do.

*edit*
another common myth is that we don't cook, we don't have access to fresh fruit/vegetables, etc. but that stuff isn't necessarily true, either.
People in Miami and Atlanta have to do all that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:35 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
cosign.

my mom fries plantains, makes tacos, makes crazy italian dishes, we eat beef patties, she LOVES knishes, etc. etc.

my mom makes all types of caribbean food. empanadas? yup.

southerners are not making the type of food we're talking about.

a lot of them haven't even heard of it. i remember the first time my gf (from the south) had a beef pattie. she was scared to eat it.

*edit*
and she can cook her butt off. never had a female in my life cooking for me the way she does. she can do the seafood stuff but international stuff like what we're talking about? na.
My mom does the same. And we're Haitian. She can make AWESOME Italian food.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:46 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
cosign.

my mom fries plantains, makes tacos, makes crazy italian dishes, we eat beef patties, she LOVES knishes, etc. etc.

my mom makes all types of caribbean food. empanadas? yup.

southerners are not making the type of food we're talking about.

a lot of them haven't even heard of it. i remember the first time my gf (from the south) had a beef pattie. she was scared to eat it.

*edit*
and she can cook her butt off. never had a female in my life cooking for me the way she does. she can do the seafood stuff but international stuff like what we're talking about? na.
Yeah, I guess my Mexican/Indian neighbor who is married to a German/Italian isn't going to make all kinds of different dishes. You are just clueless.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:49 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,691,623 times
i'm not clueless enough to think that what you're saying is the norm for the south.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:59 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,146,662 times
Florida is a bad example of what the norm of the south is, it's barely a southern state anymore. You can find a lot of food from New York in Florida.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:02 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
i'm not clueless enough to think that what you're saying is the norm for the south.
It is much more normal for families in the south to cook food that have differing cultural origins than to just cook chitlins and collard greens every night as you seem to be implying.

Do you think that because someone was born in the south they can't make lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken and rice, black beans and rice, curry chicken, etc?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:20 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Coming from a black family, my mother didnt just cook soul food. My mother cooked spanish dishes, italian dishes etc.Thats some ny sh>t. Southerners dont do that.
yet another example of a new yorker running their mouth about something they know nothing about.....do you know how many black folks in texas can cook up some mexican, cajun, and seafood dishes? and we have caribbean cooks down here too (puerto rico, panama, trinidad). soul food is what we do best, but that's not all we do. and i know good and well that ALL the women up there can't cook italian, so don't even trip

Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
yet another example of a new yorker running their mouth about something they know nothing about.....do you know how many black folks in texas can cook up some mexican, cajun, and seafood dishes? and we have caribbean cooks down here too (puerto rico, panama, trinidad). soul food is what we do best, but that's not all we do. and i know good and well that ALL the women up there can't cook italian, so don't even trip
Not to mention, Creole, Cajun, TexMex, German, etc. I wonder if they even eat Kolaches up there.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:50 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,691,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
It is much more normal for families in the south to cook food that have differing cultural origins than to just cook chitlins and collard greens every night as you seem to be implying.

Do you think that because someone was born in the south they can't make lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, chicken and rice, black beans and rice, curry chicken, etc?
i didn't say all that and i wasn't implying anything.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,800,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Not to mention, Creole, Cajun, TexMex, German, etc. I wonder if they even eat Kolaches up there.
yeah. for example, my older sister's empanadas are out of this world good, and we don't have a drop of spanish in our blood lol (not that i know of anyway). and a lot of southern blacks have west indian heritage, so finding someone who can make things like ox tails and jerk chicken isn't unusual

as far as italian goes, i don't know anybody personally who can make genuine italian dishes, but i would guess that about 1 out of every 4 or 5 black households has a cook that can make a meeean lasagna lol. or spaghetti (my favorite dish) with the sausages and the sweet ragu. or maybe some angel hair pasta with the butter alfredo sauce....throw some skrimps in there lol. good eatin

....so yeah, southern women are the baddest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City