Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 10:46 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:49 PM

6 posts, read 30,018 times
There is no other city like the big apple, but if i had to choose I would say L.A. for the west, Atlanta for the south, and Chi-town for the midwest lol

Old 06-11-2010, 11:06 PM

259 posts, read 543,467 times
All of the urban looking cities in the US..
Chicago
Philly
Boston
Jersey
SanFran
DC

That's it.. I wouldn't say LA becaus it's the absolute opposite of these dense urban cities

Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Los Angeles.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:11 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
Los Angeles would compare to New York City because of media and population, besides those 2 they are pretty much opposites.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Los Angeles would on shopping, entertainment, & dining. But that's about all, the two cities are total opposites.

Chicago would on finance, dense city scape, infrastructure, public transportation, & dining, and a list of other stuff... again Chicago is the total opposite of Los Angeles...

Take the Los Angeles characteristics and put it in Chicago, then take Boston and Philadelphia and attach them to both sides of Chicago, then take the density of San Francisco, and there you have it another version of NYC. (and remember to take all the buildings in every one of those mentioned cities and put them all together)

Old 06-12-2010, 05:10 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthfully19 View Post
All of the urban looking cities in the US..
Chicago
Philly
Boston
Jersey
SanFran
DC

That's it.. I wouldn't say LA becaus it's the absolute opposite of these dense urban cities

I think a few have said it best when they said take Chicago and strap Philly and Boston on either side. And maybe a Houston or Atlanta or Dallas next to it to be the Jersey portion. (The four Jersey counties that line the Manhattan are roughly equivelent to the population of Houston the city with a slightly higher density - NY is amazing that way - the Jersey urban burbs are larger than most US cities)

But honestly the downtowns of SF and Philly have the closest feel to the downtown of NY on a much smaller scale - some residential neighborhoods of Boston and Philly have a similar feel NY. Chicago from a distance but at street level outside the loop Chicago just feels a bit more spread out

Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Lol the delusion on the board KILLS me.

It's a fact that NYC is a world city period. No other city in the US is on par with this place. It's not me it's a fact. I laugh at people who think we hype this place up. Truth is when you're born and raised here and visit other cities, nothing compares to this city.

I've never seen another public transportation system like ours, We have 5 boroughs which each could be a separate city and still be top in America.

It isn't "hype" we've been the number one city in America for centuries and to be honest it's only
going to get bigger/better.

Lmfaoo at L.A--- Rodeo drive has nothing on 5th ave.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:32 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
The UK is forty million. I don't know exact numbers for France. They might share a continent but not a country. The USA is almost ten times as big as the UK. I definately would not call the UK or France more powerful than the United States. Although you haven't come out and said, you are sort of hinting to that. History only means so much. What have you done for me lately. There is not doubt that London is a powerful city, which stands alone in the UK. NYC has Chicago and LA which are powerhouses in their own right..The US is much more powerful than the UK or France could dream of being.

Having said that, China trumps them all.
"The USA is almost ten times as big as the UK".

Actually, its about half that as the UK has more like 62 million people. In order for the United States to be ten times larger than the UK we would need a population of 620 million. Instead we have about half that at 300+ million.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:40 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
You can compare any city to another city just like you can compare any ship to another ship. Of course some ships are tugboats and others are battleships!

For me the cities that remind me the most of New York are Chicago and Toronto. Also you can compare Los Angeles with its large size and population.

Another city is San Francisco, which reminds me of the NYC maritime environment being surrounded by water, a harbor and bridges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City